Problems with Megamud's Stability

Started by Kalak, Jul 10, 2013, 09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kalak

Hey peoples. 

So, I'm running windows 7.  When I found the board I dusted off an old copy of megamud 1.03u, set up the BBS and .ini; and I ran mega for my first week or so here, no problems. 

Now, I can't get megamud to run for any length of time without it turning non-responsive.  So far, here is what I've done.

I've Tried running megamud in a half dozen compatibility modes.  I've tried running it as an administrator and as not an administrator.  I've tried running off Gardner's "gmegamud.exe" and off the original megamud.exe. 

I've reinstalled it .... but it's not showing up to "Uninstall" on my Windows 7 Programs and Features.  So I can't say that I've fully uninstalled any version of it.

My next step (sometime tomorrow or Friday) will be to thoroughly purge any megamud traces from my registry and try a fresh install. 

Anyone else have any similar problems?  Any insight as to how to run this software with some stability? 

Cheers!
-Kalak

Gardner Denver

Make sure if you install on win7 that you do not install in the default location.  That will cause you untold amounts of grief.  Make a folder in like My Documents and install it there or something.

Kalak

Update: Still no stability. 

I've Tried: Installing to c:\program files (x86)\megamud and to c:\megamud.  I've also tried running Winterhawk's Gmegamud (and it ran for awhile, but now it's freezing up as per before.)

When I look at my resource manager (the default one in Windows) I notice that 1) it can't process a "wait chain" for me, so I can't see what's hanging it up.  I also noticed that firefox always seemed to be bloated and a locked Megamud was pulling a lot of my CPU.  So I tried dedicated a core to Mega and a different core to firefox, that didn't do anything.  (I kinda figured it was a long shot, but I'm in over my head and stumped.) 

Tomorrow I'll fiddle with Winterhawk's Gmegamud install.  Try different compatibility modes and such....

Gard, maybe I'll try an off the wall install location (like My docs or something).

Gardner Denver

Quote from: Gardner Denver on Jul 11, 2013, 08:45 PM
Make sure if you install on win7 that you do not install in the default location.  That will cause you untold amounts of grief.  Make a folder in like My Documents and install it there or something.

mad

don't use a single core vps you cheap fuck

then mega won't freeze, rememeber back in the single core day, gmega is 100% fine on win7, 8.1 and 10, 32 and 64

in the words of torque, "go dual core son, DUAL CORE!"