Why Do You play?

Started by Mukami, Jul 01, 2006, 08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mukami

As i was reading thru the forms more it really seems like alot of the game is going to require lots of live play and paying constant attention and really making the game over involved. people complaine that the game was built for mega but thats not really how it was. mega was built for the game. it responds well to it and its unfortunate but i feel that this new project needs to be built towards mega or a new one scripting program built for this one.

Im reminded of one of my friends who i tried to get into majormud. he had played many different muds and wasnt at all into major. he told me about all the good ones out there. one that you were a gladiator and it had over 50 different classes you could be and when in combat you would have to do more than just "a npc" but you could grapple and throw and jab and kick. Thats really not what i wanted from mud. it was at the point where major is today all scripted out. and i like coming home from work to check my script. and tweak it. and play with it and just kinda walk around a bit and kill shit.

So i guess there are many different types of mud players out there. I guess im wondering if you are making this game for you or makin it for the mud community. and also really i wanted to know what the mud community like.

So Please respond to what you loved about majormud and why you still play the game.

Secret

All I can say is:

bad habits die hard...

OR

Simplicity favors Regularity...

Ian

GMUD is going to be compatible with mega.  You'll be able to script all day if that's what you want, but it will have more interesting content and interaction making it more appealing to playing by hand.
If we can hit that bulls-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards.? Check-mate!

Mukami

Oh i have no doubts that the ansi and all that will work just fine with gmud. but my big fear is that the game is going to be so involved that you can script all day but its not really worth it. Often life gets in the way of time im able to spend at keys. so i like the ability to be able to set up a functional script in under an hr. and simplicity is what kept this game going for so long. There are way more involved muds out there that have not had nearly the sucess. so i ask again what is it that kept you playing majormud so much? How i originally thought gmud was going to work was do majormud and rebalance everything and add in lots of items and quests. but it sounds now like its going to be a completely different game to learn. more than new maps and a few new commands but a totaly different game that barely resembles major at all.

The Crazy Animal

Quote from: Mukami on Jul 02, 2006, 03:59 AM
Oh i have no doubts that the ansi and all that will work just fine with gmud. but my big fear is that the game is going to be so involved that you can script all day but its not really worth it. Often life gets in the way of time im able to spend at keys. so i like the ability to be able to set up a functional script in under an hr.

I'm not sure of what you mean by this? Are you telling us you would rather have 24/7 scripting more valueable to a player then a few hours of hand playing?

Quoteand simplicity is what kept this game going for so long. There are way more involved muds out there that have not had nearly the sucess. so i ask again what is it that kept you playing majormud so much?

What kept me playing is the intuitiveness of the commands. I don't like playing guess the adverb to kill something or otherwise do one simple thing once in a game then have to play guess the adverb 30 seconds later to find a entirely new command to do the same thing somewhere else. Being so any new command in the game will be simple and used through out the game untill it becomes second nature to playing.

QuoteHow i originally thought gmud was going to work was do majormud and rebalance everything and add in lots of items and quests.

It is going to do this.

Quotebut it sounds now like its going to be a completely different game to learn. more than new maps and a few new commands but a totaly different game that barely resembles major at all.

I'm not sure what your talking about here too, maybe you clarify what parts or ideas are you talking about?

Mukami

QuoteWhat kept me playing is the intuitiveness of the commands. I don't like playing guess the adverb to kill something or otherwise do one simple thing once in a game then have to play guess the adverb 30 seconds later to find a entirely new command to do the same thing somewhere else. Being so any new command in the game will be simple and used through out the game untill it becomes second nature to playing.

i hope that there are more reasons that you play other than you dont have to guess the verb. (im not going to go into the grammer or the difference between a verb and adverb). I dont know if you play LORD of not but there is no guessing the verb there either. but i wouldnt say its as popular a game as major. and even most the other muds out there if you start playing them then the commands become second nature. none of them can have an infinite number of actions to do. and they will probably argue that theirs are alot more realistic. punching the plate wearer and being able to do no damage to yourself just is silly.

QuoteI'm not sure of what you mean by this? Are you telling us you would rather have 24/7 scripting more valueable to a player then a few hours of hand playing?

Im saying that the game shouldnt be so involved that you cant or its not worth scripting. playing by hand should give you some advantages but really you shouldnt be too penalized for having a busy month.

as for what im talking about about it being a completly different game... lots of that has to do with spells. there seems to be a great deal of time being spent on making spellcasters more specific. circles of magic and presige classes and the like. i like the idea of if your a mage you cast mage spells if your a gypsy you cast lesser mage spells. not a total overhaul of magic making it specialized or subclass specific. i hear alot of discussion on thiefs and making robbing worth exp or making a thief worth playing. they are an 80% exp chart compare them to a ninja and do they make just under 1/2 the exp a ninja would make? if so then they are right. if not then you can tweak them. robbing isnt worth exp cause its a pvp command if you kill someone in pvp its not worth exp. robbing shops would be cool, but for exp? i can see lowbies setting up scripts to rob some townsman over and over again.

DeathCow

Nothing that i'm working on is complicated.  I've said it in many threads,its imporant that everything remains simple from a game play stand point.

The Crazy Animal

Quotei hope that there are more reasons that you play other than you dont have to guess the verb. (im not going to go into the grammer or the difference between a verb and adverb). I dont know if you play LORD of not but there is no guessing the verb there either. but i wouldnt say its as popular a game as major. and even most the other muds out there if you start playing them then the commands become second nature. none of them can have an infinite number of actions to do. and they will probably argue that theirs are alot more realistic. punching the plate wearer and being able to do no damage to yourself just is silly.

Well I use to play Lord, Tradewars, too but I'm not big fan of games that have set turn limits. However MMUD was always the standard for me for text gaming. I've tried lots of other text muds too over the years some of them I've liked some I've hated. However its easier to tell you though what I don't like about other games though then to tell you what exactly I liked about mmud and has kept me coming back over the years. 

QuoteIm saying that the game shouldnt be so involved that you cant or its not worth scripting. playing by hand should give you some advantages but really you shouldnt be too penalized for having a busy month.

Lets be a little more clear about this, What exactly do you mean by involved and what exactly do you mean not by not worth scripting?

Quoteas for what im talking about about it being a completly different game... lots of that has to do with spells. there seems to be a great deal of time being spent on making spellcasters more specific. circles of magic and presige classes and the like. i like the idea of if your a mage you cast mage spells if your a gypsy you cast lesser mage spells. not a total overhaul of magic making it specialized or subclass specific.

The circles of magic idea is not meant to make things more specific even though it uses specializations to perform its role it is meant to make things more diversified. So not all mages will be carbon copies of each other this is a means to increase the replay value of any given race/class combination in the game. Example if you're a mage you will get the standard mage spells and on top of that you will be able to specialize your magical abilities and get secondary spells based on those specialization choices. So anything you get will be "in addition" to the normal base class content. This will make it so if you want to a fire mage then you will have some extra fire spells and if you want to be a water mage you will have some extra water spells. If you are a gypsy you will still get lesser mage spells but you will also be able to specialize your magic just as you would if you were the mage.

BTW - You do realize that mmuds magic system has be scheduled for a complete overhaul also? (Not like its likely that metro will ever finish theirs)

Quotei hear alot of discussion on thiefs and making robbing worth exp or making a thief worth playing. they are an 80% exp chart compare them to a ninja and do they make just under 1/2 the exp a ninja would make? if so then they are right. if not then you can tweak them. robbing isnt worth exp cause its a pvp command if you kill someone in pvp its not worth exp. robbing shops would be cool, but for exp? i can see lowbies setting up scripts to rob some townsman over and over again.

You misunderstood this completely, robbing isn't going to give you exp the ability to rob is worth an amount of the total classes exp table. Because it is worth a portion of the exp table we to make that single ability worth that portion of that classes exp table.

Mukami

QuoteHowever its easier to tell you though what I don't like about other games though then to tell you what exactly I liked about mmud and has kept me coming back over the years.

like what? i think it would be good to say what you didnt like about other muds so it can give some ideas of what we might want to stay away from here. I originally inteded this post to be a way for people to help come up with ideas. What you like/dont like about major (or any mud) so we can get an idea of what makes things good and thus know what to add/improve/remove.

The Crazy Animal

Quote from: Mukami on Jul 04, 2006, 11:44 AM
QuoteHowever its easier to tell you though what I don't like about other games though then to tell you what exactly I liked about mmud and has kept me coming back over the years.

like what? i think it would be good to say what you didnt like about other muds so it can give some ideas of what we might want to stay away from here. I originally inteded this post to be a way for people to help come up with ideas. What you like/dont like about major (or any mud) so we can get an idea of what makes things good and thus know what to add/improve/remove.

Most of them I can't really see happening in gmud to tell you the truth.

1. Lack of a help command.
1a. Having to enter a game with out being able to see what race is what or what class is what
2. Overlapping maps
3. Lack of shortcuts for commands
4. Having an area names as exits
5. Entering a shop from a direction and having to type leave to get out
6. Stupid game engine comments given to users when a wrong command is given
7. Looking at NPC animals and seeing an equipment list
8. Too many Bad Plot/Content intertwines
9. Animals that drop non appropriate stuff like: money or weapons
10. Naming Wild NPC Animals things like Nightwing then calling it a raven in the description.
11. Use of the command kill for attacking
12. Buildings that fill map space to large for their designated interior rooms

The list is actually longer but its kinda boring to type them all out.

Vitoc

I briefly played Crossroads for a while and a couple other types of MUDs (I forget which kind they were).? I don't remember which games had which but here's a few items that come to mind:

I remember corpses that kept items in them when a mob or players was killed, and I thought that was kind of cool since it kept rooms clean.? The deterioration of corpses over time also added a cool touch and helped avoid DP disputes.

One thing that always bothered me in Major MUD (and other MUDs) was items not dropping.? If a thug is swinging at me with their spiked club, then when the thug dies there had better friggin be a spiked club on the ground (or on the corpse).? For limited items, if I've got a lim 1 item on me, then a mob should NOT be able to swing at me with said item (LotH with the Nexus spear for example).? Major MUD's mob attack schema does not allow this to be fixed AFAIK.

Everyone being on the same combat timer kind of sucks too.? A halfling with maxed agility should get in 4-5 swings before a half-ogre at base agil even gets in one.? Rather than going 5 seconds and then having everyone do all their swings at once, it would be better (read: more realistic) to have x swings every y amount of time instead (as I've seen done in other MUDs).? A huge issue with Major MUD's pvp is often times it's whoever gets off the round first that wins, since they'll be swinging 5 times in a round for a massive amount of cumulative damage before the other person even gets a chance to swing once regardless of the other person's agility.? We're through with the days of dialup, so putting a hard limit of 5 swings that can only happen once every 5 seconds is just retarded.? It's actually having the opposite effect now since a full room will scroll 30-50 lines every 5 seconds.? Who can process data in huge packets like that besides terminal helpers?

I realize some of these are changes that MegaMUD can't handle and hence they won't make it into this project.

Why did I stick with Major MUD?? I guess it boils down to MegaMUD.? Major MUD was no longer about chatting with friends gaining exp.? It was about coming to keys once a week, training my character, buying new items/spells, tweaking my settings to maximize eph, and go afk for another week.? Occasionally I'd find time for boss runs with others, but it became a rarity.