Tackling Balance issues, ATTACK

Started by DeathCow, Sep 14, 2010, 06:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeathCow

Um...you have the armor option of natural/robes/padded/soft leather/soft studded leather/rigid leather/studded rigid leather/chain/scale/plate.

pentagruel

Some of the changes are totally horrendous.  
Paly should stay combat 4, no questions.  If you want to tweak its exp, fine, but lets not have 2 priestly classes with combat 3, one of which is priest 2 and one which is priest 1.  
Wardancers should get some dodge, and I would get rid of stealth.  
That race with 40 max wisdom is ridiculous, as you will get ubber raped by any spellcaster.  maybe 20-60 wisdom, to make it more in line with halflings/hogres, and then drop its int max to 120.
Who the fuck gives warlocks as many hps as a warrior or witchy, while clerics still have 4-8hp <--maybe this is a typo, else its retarded.  
Rangers should stay Leather, else they will be absolutely insane with lunar chainmail.
Warlocks are fine in chainmail, no need to up them.  
Mish/Gypsy will be way overpowered at a 3combat.  They are combat 2 for a reason.  I do like the lowered exp charts on them though.  
Mystics should stay 250 exp, ranger at 200 isnt too unreasonable.  
I think that trying to change too many things at once without actually testing is stupid.  Run a test realm where you tweak a few things, and see how it goes.  For example, I bet if you just lower the exp on mishy/gypsy, you would get alot more people playing them.

Stalkerr

Quote from: Thergin on Apr 22, 2013, 02:04 AM
bump

Lots of random info in this post, anything in particular that made you remember it?  (its almost 3 years old)

Thergin

Well I figure that page one will be close to what you will be aiming at, and I just wanted to bring it back open for discussion. I think Deathcow had it on the money already.

mad

I think it's pretty good too, looking at the original post.

I don't agree with everything, and those new races seem a bit specific to some classes,

IMO, warlocks hp should be downgraded .. and it sucks there's so many items out there, but they are ALL basically leather/silk ..  how many actual 'studded leather' items or 'chain' items are there, really.. there's a small number

Witchy's have a decent go with scale and I still argue if you restricted clerics to scale only then that would give them a more unique role

Stalkerr

I'm pretty sure those charts were built with late game(level 45+) major mud realm in mind.  There are some gross disparities between gmud and mmud that makes some of those numbers unreasonable.  Also, I was intending some ability changes along with those numbers.

I've got the whole of content open to make changes and since I fully intend to go with the spell-mod I've got a lot of options for balancing.  I'm hoping that with the spell mod and new content classes like gypsy and missionary might be competitively viable.

The new races and classes might be off the table, I'm not sold one way or another on them.  Yes, they do seem somewhat class specific.  But that is because they are intended to fill gaps like Willpower/Stealth, Tanky with Int.  Either way adding new variables rarely makes an equation easier to solve.

I need to find out if a couple bug fixes are possible.  If they are I'll let the current realms run on them for a few days to get feed back then I'll make a meta post with everything wrapped up and easy to read.

Torque

I just skimmed through Miles's RotMUD creations an they looked really fun to try out, although it was a bit much. Then I hit this thread and was super interested in it. I was wondering, Gardner do you have an interest in this topic?

Maybe start a third Alpha board with level capped at 20? I'm trying to meet you in the middle of "GreaterMUD needs an unmoderated Realm" and "too much crap to mudop". If it's 20 hard limit, a lot of people won't play and there's no political ramifications of ignoring it or juicing it up

Gardner Denver

Quote from: Torque on Oct 27, 2013, 08:21 AM
I just skimmed through Miles's RotMUD creations an they looked really fun to try out, although it was a bit much. Then I hit this thread and was super interested in it. I was wondering, Gardner do you have an interest in this topic?

Maybe start a third Alpha board with level capped at 20? I'm trying to meet you in the middle of "GreaterMUD needs an unmoderated Realm" and "too much crap to mudop". If it's 20 hard limit, a lot of people won't play and there's no political ramifications of ignoring it or juicing it up

Well you'd have to ask Vitoc first since he would have to make a code change to allow a level hard cap.  As for me, I have no desire to op another realm so from a sysop perspective it would be ignored.  Twogirlz can mudop it if he wants to but there are certain things he can not do.

Vile

What exactly is the point of a level 20 limit mud?

Torque

Gardner always claims 'he doesn't want to mudop another realm', despite pleas for them to put up an unmoderated realm. I figure his reasons are that he needs control of the population to streamline Q&A about debugging, so he wants everyone in his moderated realms, and level 20 top limit would reduce population hemhorraging. Perfect world: make PVP go unmoderated fully a la no mudop. The only thing they should be doing is making sure the board is up and taking advice on what to fix (and of course fixing it). That is, if they aren't playing like they say they aren't. A third realm would also allow new content without "ruining" the original realms

It was just a bargaining chip.

Gardner Denver

Well yeah there is that but my reasons are much more basic.  Remember the unlimited dupe push?  Not many people will want to play in another realm like that so what happens?  "Gardner come knock out the dupes"

People will hoard up all the limited items on holders and rooms nobody goes in.  "Gardner come do something about the limited items"

Next thing you know, I'm moderating a 3rd realm.

Torque

It's a good point, and I realize that you (plural) simply have no interest in a solution about a third realm, etc. But, I'm happy that I got feedback about it, so I will humor myself a bit more. I'll create a fictional 'new third realm settings list':

-Unlimited lims
-Limited max connections from an IP to equal max when adding all legal connections (realm 1 + realm 2 + realm 3), and further throttling max IP to 3rd realm to 1
-Full realm sweeps every night, to include all rooms and items. The only way to keep any items is carry them
-No alignment change, retrain, sys gotos, or any interference from a mudop
-Reset every 6 months unless voted to not reset by a simple majority
-Hang penalties at 25%, with a two unique item drop
-Universal Trainer trains 1 to 75

-----------------------------------------
-Increase drops to a minimum of 10%
-Halve boss regen times

There are a lot of good things that can come out of this realm. I believe the second biggest is that it is a tool to isolate IP usage / duping. Because you're not trying to moderate teh 3rd realm dictatorial like the 2nd realm, you are able to simple analyze the data (if you wish) and identify trends. Trends like connecting/disconnecting, etc. can be cross-referenced with your information about realms 1 & 2 to streamline critical thinking on who's actually duping. This is all assuming you do enjoy catching the bad guys. The biggest reason for the realm is to seperate politics from yourself and *some* aspect of this GreaterMUD system while implementing a way to include new content.

mad

I would actually suggest the 3rd realm gives players enough exp for level 65 so the chars can be tested out properly (you can train to whatever level), realm resets weekly, to stop anyone taking it seriously, it's just a testing realm, for S&G & posting bugs without having to create a char/get to a certain level, etc and the insta level 65 would allow people to see what any race/class combo would turn out like end game, or near to it.

Don't allow duping, players can simply re-roll another level 65, it could also be a fun pvp for sng realm.

Unlimited lims and no sweeping, the weekly reset will take care of it.

We need a testing realm. We really do. Making changes live without people having a clue how they will reflect in reality opens up things like .. mage spells being modified to gypsy's.. (lol) & other weird shit, during a live push, these aren't bug fixes, they are major changes, do them on the 3rd realm, place a vote (where people need to post a reason, not a voting button) if it's going to affect the game majorly, or change the mechanics of any class