Tiered PVP range

Started by y2duhh, Nov 06, 2012, 09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

y2duhh

I feel like 9 levels is silly, especially at higher levels, I think PVP should be tiered by level ranges for example:
1-10 - 2 levels
11-20 - 5 levels
20-30 - 10 levels
30-50 - 15 levels
50-70 - 25 levels
70 - 100 - 30 levels

it would go off of the lower level so a level 76 could only hit a level 51 (because a level 46 can only hit someone 15 levels (61) higher), but they could also hit a level 106 and so on.

Stalkerr

Quote from: y2duhh on Nov 06, 2012, 09:33 PM
I feel like 9 levels is silly, especially at higher levels, I think PVP should be tiered by level ranges for example:
1-10 - 2 levels
11-20 - 5 levels
20-30 - 10 levels
30-50 - 15 levels
50-70 - 25 levels
70 - 100 - 30 levels

it would go off of the lower level so a level 76 could only hit a level 51 (because a level 46 can only hit someone 15 levels (61) higher), but they could also hit a level 106 and so on.

Its an interesting idea, and I like it.  But that system as you laid it out is overly complicated when it comes down to figuring out who you can hit and who you can't...at least in a situation where you'd need to make choices quickly.  If there was someway to clean up the interaction that happens when one person's tier overlaps another then it would be an improvement on the system we have.

y2duhh

agreed lots of room for improvement but the main idea behind it is as you get higher in levels the people you want to attack broadens alot and 9 levels is kind of ridiculousness when it comes to high level pvp.

Jigga

Quote from: Stalkerr on Nov 07, 2012, 06:13 PM
Its an interesting idea, and I like it.  But that system as you laid it out is overly complicated when it comes down to figuring out who you can hit and who you can't...at least in a situation where you'd need to make choices quickly.  If there was someway to clean up the interaction that happens when one person's tier overlaps another then it would be an improvement on the system we have.

That can be accomodated for fairly easy. They could add something similar to the * next to evil people or those in retaliation.

Could even color code players (though that might screw with MegaMud). Players out of your PVP range could be displayed in the same color as non-hostile monsters, and those in your PVP range could be the normal magenta.

Or maybe some kind of identifier on the 'who' list, either something color coded, or maybe just a certain letter/character in another column that lets you know if you can attack them or not.
~{RoBDaWG - Jigga - Rza}~   ||  ~{Sysop of UtopiaBBS.com}~

Torque

Quote from: Jigga on Nov 08, 2012, 10:32 AM
Players out of your PVP range could be displayed in the same color as non-hostile monsters, and those in your PVP range could be the normal magenta.

All of the above in Jigga's post , but I like this especially

y2duhh

would this cause mega to register the player as a monster and then cause problems later on when the player is in range?

Stalkerr

Quote from: y2duhh on Nov 09, 2012, 06:24 PM
would this cause mega to register the player as a monster and then cause problems later on when the player is in range?

Mmm Probably.  We could try out something, but I'm guessing that it would not be megamud compatible. 

(that means its not an option)

mad

You could have PVP brackets, like in WoW,

Ie;

1-5

6-15

16-25

26-35

36-50

50+

So you can keep yourself in a certain PVP bracket if you want. Or you can hit someone and train out of their bracket, but then you cannot hit each other.

This also adds an interesting mechanic of making touching ruby allowing the player to decide to stay in the bracket or train up, or keep levels stacked, etc.

mr sinister

why not have pvp range extended like at lvl 50 or so. and i dont think its fair for a lvl 50 to be able to attack a lvl 25 so you should only be able to attack up from that point.
lvl 50 can attack 9 down, but 25 up
maybe this could also be some kind of a quest like a gladiator quest or something that enables a broader pvp range
i dunno but i def think new quests should be included if you are making a new mod
also i think the new class sounds cool, but overpowered.
what if you can reroll to an elite class only after you reach a certain level. no keep.
just an idea. . .

Stalkerr

The problem is that many of the ideas for alternate pvp range formats have their own issues.  Is one set of problems any better than another?  I think we'd need to see the pros and cons laid out for us with a reasonable argument as to why its better.  This issue isn't really a priority for me, so if it is for anyone else they will need to do the leg work.  I definitely agree that there are flaws in our system but this isn't something I'm looking to invest much of my time on atm.  So short of some kinda epiphany, I don't have much to say about it.

Vile

Unlimited PVP. I hate arbitrary restrictions being placed on an open world.

Have the amount of eps gained be relative to the level difference.

A level 70 attacking a level 10 is one evil bastard and is rewarded as such. But it still should be possible.

Stalkerr

My preference has always been unlimited pvp, but I can certainly understand the desire to never be that unfortunate level 10 player.   

mr sinister

that actually is a great idea
more EPs for attacking out of range
if the EPs they WOULD be awarded for the attack exceed max EPs then it is not possible for them to proceed
here is the butt. . .
what if they are attacking someone who IS evil?

Hurricane Omega

Quote from: mr sinister on Apr 27, 2013, 07:18 PM
that actually is a great idea
more EPs for attacking out of range
if the EPs they WOULD be awarded for the attack exceed max EPs then it is not possible for them to proceed
here is the butt. . .
what if they are attacking someone who IS evil?

Not only that, but extra EPs might be an incentive for some people to attack even more.

Gardner Denver

Quote from: mr sinister on Apr 27, 2013, 07:18 PM

Problem is, this only half works currently.  If you are at max eps and attack someone where you should earn eps then the attack is blocked.  If you are not at max eps, but not at least 10 eps below max eps and you attack them, you will move to max eps and the attack will be allowed, and combat will engage.  I've seen pvp where the person who started it earned as little as 0.00001 ep.