Looking for standalone.

Started by Boz11979, Sep 02, 2009, 01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boz11979

Hello!
  A good friend told me about this today.  Sorry I'm out of the loop currently or I would have jumped on this a long time ago.  I want to be able to play, but I have VERY limited access to the internet.   I'm in the military and get deployed more often then is fiscally responsible.  I have made due by setting up stand alone servers for several games.  I usually bring 3 or 4 computers just for the purpose of running wireless "servers" to fellow Marines, Sailors and Soldiers.  Getting back to my roots and playing a game like MMUD, I would beg, and pay, to be able to setup a stand alone.  I found a thread on this topic, but it is over 120 days old.  So your board suggested I post a new Topic.  the previous conversation was
Quote from: Vitoc on Aug 09, 2006, 12:02 PM
It won't be a replica since we're not going to be using their content.  It will be MegaMUD compliant, so the interface and look and feel will be nearly identical.  Yes, we will be adding  improvements and fixing things that should have been fixed years ago, but that is for everyone here to decide.

Part of me would like to sell the engine/server for very cheap (think like 100-200 bucks) but another part of me thinks if everyone gets their hands on it, it will destroy any sense of community we might have had since everyone will be using their own set of content.  So I guess the answer is, we haven't really decided yet.

It has been more then 120 days since that was posted.  I hope you have had a chance to think it over.  A hasty responce would be welcomed. I don't get to use the internet except when in port.  Thank you Kindly in advance.
Cpl Shores, USMC Currently on the 22nd MEU. O0

Gardner Denver

The game engine is still in beta testing and not ready for public release yet.  Hopefully the last few major issues will get resolved quickly, then it's just a matter of tweaking out some bugs and messages.

It's hard to give a time line though at this point.  Probably not the answer you wanted to hear but is the most honest one we can give you right now.

Rhinehold

Corporal, you could always go "old school" and run an old style MMUD board.  My friends and I still fire that up once in a while to play.  You would just need World Group, and all the MMUD files.  In todays world they don't even take up much space, nor does it hammer your computer's resources that much.

Good Luck!

-Duke Rhinehold

Boz11979

I would love to go "old School"  but don't have WG or MMUD files.  If I could get some info on where to aquire them it would be much appreciated.  I currently run a WoW, EQ2 and Battlefield 2 wireless server off a laptop on ship.  I'm sure MMUD will not slow it down any.  Thank you for any assistance you can give me regarding this.

As for GreaterMUD, once I get back stateside I will be participating.  Internet here is infrequent at best.  I Understand how much building a program is time comsuming for I've done beta tests on several games and programs.  I appreciate your honesty and thank you for the prompt and honest responce. 

Corporal Shores, USMC currently on the 22 MEU.