Bank Robbing

Started by Torque, Aug 12, 2012, 01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Torque

I was pondering the house deed situation. It's nearly impossible to relieve someone else of their house; they have to get stripped or they run out of money, which doesn't happen. I mean it does, but you're an idiot if it does.

There should be rooms where you can go and rob the bank. It should be fairly easy for a level 50 to do it, and almost impossible for a level 20.

Key points:
-Money is more of a commodity
-Keeping a house is a lot harder but still manageable
-Breathes some life into the whole Thievery system

After we create a magic formula that scales with the aforemention levels, there should be a room behind the bank, or accessible from the sewers that you can sneak in. There are powerful guards there that do not see hidden, and if you fail a rob you will go to jail. It adds 60 evil points to rob whether or not you are successful. You have the option to rob from the community vault, or a particular gang vault. If you rob from a specific gang vault, you rob maximum 10% of everyone in the gang's personal account. On a successful roll, the number is random between 1-10%. Theoretically, you can rob the gang leader's personal vault comepletely dry if you had 600 evil points, and he would be houseless if he didnt nothing about it for the next day. So.. a gang of thieves could profit rather well. Thanks for reading!

Torque

I forgot to mention about the community pool. It would be just like a gang pool, but its just everyone who is not in a gang. So in theory, your money isn't safe in the bank. Oh yeah, I'm assuming that emblems get del@maint correctly if you're not in the gang or its on the ground ( vault or not. That's another issue )

In addition, I propose each bank having its own vault, and you can only pay for the house through the Godfrey bank, since that's where the deeds are sold near.

Zetetic

I really like this idea. It's a decent amount of work in both a game mechanics and content creation point of view, but definitely something that would fit in nicely with the game. You would want to restrict it to one attempt per day or even week, otherwise people are going to be robbed blind.

Suggestions that I made for changes to the way supernatural stealth works I think would fit right in to the theme of this idea (http://www.greatermud.com/forums/index.php?topic=4048.0).

With a system like that you could turn the bank vault in to a massive dungeon (think Harry Potter in style), with ever increasing difficulty of monsters and see hidden +XX, perhaps make the exit different to the entry, and have a chase with multiple guardsmen or the Sheriff along the rooftops, silver streams or the darkwood forest. For every alarm you set off during your progress through the dungeon, more guards/etc spawn in the exit areas and it makes it that much harder to escape.

You could then tie in a thieves guild character that gives quests to attempt robberies of various vaults of high profile Silvermere NPCs.

twogirlz

I like the concept but there are some serious abuse issues; like you said, get 10 thieves together and it is GG. Basically they can fuck anyone up at any time. There needs to be more of a challenge to it.

Vitoc

I like this idea as well.

Ideally, the in-game justice system would be WAY better.  Law enforcement would actually enforce laws and actively seek out criminals with increasing numbers and force commensurate with the crime.  Real bounties could be placed, you could hire mercenaries to help you out, sting operations could take place if someone robbed someone or some store/bank too often, etc.  The current system is severely lacking.

In honesty, if the justice system worked properly, I would argue there would be almost no need for a non-PVP realm.  I know there are some who insist on strict no-PVP and I will honor their desire for such a realm.  It just makes item turnover nearly impossible when someone truly wants to cling onto a limited item.

Anywho, that's the beauty of GreaterMUD.  We can easily introduce features like this in a modern managed language while blurring the line between web and telnet.  We're almost done with the base MMUD features, then comes the good stuff.  ;)

twogirlz

Quote from: Vitoc on Sep 11, 2012, 12:44 PM
Anywho, that's the beauty of GreaterMUD.  We can easily introduce features like this in a modern managed language while blurring the line between web and telnet.  We're almost done with the base MMUD features, then comes the good stuff.  ;)

This is exciting stuff!

Stalkerr

Quote from: Vitoc on Sep 11, 2012, 12:44 PM
I like this idea as well.

This idea includes a griefing mechanic with no defense mechanic.  Ya, sounds great.

Zetetic

Quote from: Stalkerr on Sep 11, 2012, 08:48 PM
This idea includes a griefing mechanic with no defense mechanic.  Ya, sounds great.

Excellent point. Though the creation of an evil system that does in fact punish evil doers might be some dissuasion. Anyone up for lightning from the heavens again for fiends?

The indirect defence mechanism is to earn more money. If the amount of money robbed is a small % of the total account, diminishing returns means it would take an exponential length of time to actually reduce anyone to poverty. It might do enough to mean you have to spend more time collecting cash rather than getting exp. Whether that is a mechanic we want or not is something that should be discussed. You definitely don't want it set up so that even a team of people could bankrupt another user overnight.

From a purely PVE content point of view this would be a whole heap of fun.

Vitoc

Quote from: Stalkerr on Sep 11, 2012, 08:48 PM
Note the majority of my post that you conveniently decided not to quote (did you even read it?) was pointing out the steps necessary before such a thing was put in place.

RIF