Doing away with character cps in the current form. Something to ponder.

Started by Gardner Denver, Aug 27, 2012, 09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Torque

im linking this post when someone starts whining about anything

Quote from: Vitoc on Sep 09, 2012, 09:38 AM
We're working towards getting a (mostly) faithful remake of MajorMUD completed.  We tried new content and most kind of rejected it.  It's obvious we all love the MajorMUD content most of us grew up playing.

Content is not yet our focus, but it will be addressed.  As Gardner mentioned, adding the +40 to max-stats was sort of an easy win.  Let us finish the engine and then we'll make an honest attempt to work on new content and address game balance.

Zetetic

Quote from: signalSalute on Sep 08, 2012, 10:45 PM
Here's an idea.  What about doing some stat tweaks on the each race to make them "greater" instead of just a +40 max stat increase straight across the board.

The punishing costs of raising stats by that extra +40 seems like enough to me. How many halflings do you see in a realm, total, already? We should be trying to encourage more diversity in race selection. At least with the +40 if you really want to build a halfling combat class you can, as you now get access to most (but still not all) of the heavier weapons.

Quote from: y2duhh on Sep 07, 2012, 07:28 PM
If we do make these adjustments is it going to make the game in its current format harder or easier?  What I mean by that is right now people are 5th questing by the 1st or 2nd month of an active realm and there is nothing left after that, is this going to make the game go by faster?

From my napkin calculations, the changes we're suggesting will make scripting slower, and so levelling up should be slower. A bunch of the quests will become harder to complete (due to the lower damage output of all characters except for casters), though they will also be more forgiving (you shouldn't see casters and low HP races getting killed so easily, which means that everyone actually gets a better opportunity to complete quests at a similar level). I don't expect people to be killing Thrag and the Ancient ruins at such low levels.

I completely agree with you that there needs to be real stuff to do after level 50 (or perhaps level 65 when the last items are available), but the solution as Torque stated is more content. I am actually hoping that with the modification to HPs, a bunch of areas that have been previously unused for scripting might actually become viable, as currently they are just too capable of ridiculous burst damage. Anyone up for scripting darken beasts? I know that I want to give it a go.

I also just wanted to suggest another simple change to make to come under our combined set of simple changes; Make mystics combat-2 and leave them at 250% exp table. While the reduction in crit multiplier will hurt their damage output, they will still out-damage all the other combat classes, and they have magic-5 straight off the bat so they are way too powerful at those lower levels. At combat-2 they will be stuck using punch and kick for longer and this should scale them well with the other changes we've proposed.

mr sinister

What does having mag-5 have to do with them being powerful? I mean of course they are mag-5 they dont get any equipment. Everyone else gets mag-2 at lvl 10. AND isnt AR all the level 20 quests? How high of a level does it seem fair for people to be in there? I have not seen a single level 20 character clean house in AR. Ever. I hate to be a hater, but geeze. But ya, mystics are badass. Take kai master. Pretty badass right? Thats what I expect when I fight a mystic. Just sayin.

Crabster

Quote from: mr sinister on Sep 26, 2012, 05:04 PM
What does having mag-5 have to do with them being powerful? I mean of course they are mag-5 they dont get any equipment. Everyone else gets mag-2 at lvl 10. AND isnt AR all the level 20 quests? How high of a level does it seem fair for people to be in there? I have not seen a single level 20 character clean house in AR. Ever. I hate to be a hater, but geeze. But ya, mystics are badass. Take kai master. Pretty badass right? Thats what I expect when I fight a mystic. Just sayin.

it is a nice advantage having mag 5...also everyone else does NOT get mag 2 at level 10...the opportunity is there but its not a given...outside of that u have lev 12 and 15 i think for a mag 2 depending on ur class....lev 18 and 20 next i believe....a lev 20 mystic can solo a few bosses in ar...but also can a few other classes...but not necessarily with ease for either

shivoltz

How about changing the system where they have both a cookie cutter self appointed stat system based off class/race adjustments. and a cp system where every level you recieve 5 cp to adjust stats the way you want ( 1cp = 1 stat for the first ten points on one stat, then 2 cp = 1 stat, etc...) that way by lvl 60 every char will have had 300 cp to play around with whatever stat they wanted to raise to make their char unique. in essence a char could make 1 stat by level 60 +80 points and 2 stats +10 over their appointed stats. or other combinations to make the char more believable to what he was looking for.that way the race/class adjusment will help to allieviate some of the weird combinations from ruling the game over the normal combos. but also help people make the char how they want it to be built.