How much of a clone?

Started by Ian, May 22, 2006, 11:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do people see gmud?

Total Members Voted: 0

Ian

I pose a question, and it's basically for Vitoc to answer:? how much of a clone of mmud do we want gmud to be?

As I see it, we've got two choices to aim for:
1. Complete clone, foibles and all, with new content.
2. Similar feel to mmud, same commands and megamud compatibilty.

I ask this because issues are arising regarding whether certain things should be classified as bugs.
The two foremost in my mind are discussed in these topics:
http://greatermud.com/forums/index.php?topic=536.0 (regarding bank balance)
and
http://greatermud.com/forums/index.php?topic=472.0 (regarding allowable names)
however these certainly won't be the last discrepancies brought up.

My personal belief is that we go with number 2.? Keep the mmud feel and megamud compatibility, but we have the chance to fix some stupid "features" of mmud.

I'm posting this as a poll, out of curiosity, but I'm sure we'll all agree this is Vitoc's decision in the end.? Also, I don't know how this poll will come out (preview didn't give me much idea), so I may have doubled up on some text.
If we can hit that bulls-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards.? Check-mate!

Silentz

I voted for the second option. It makes no sense to leave in the defects that majormud has come to have over the years. Greatermud is supposed to be better, so why would the creators leave the junk in?

DeathCow

I hate to edit someone poll, but I had to.  You're missing the point of this adventure. 

We want to have an copy, then improve on that.  We aren't looking to emulate bugs in what we finally produce.  What we are looking for is a code that people know and understand completely.  Its about appoarching mmud appeal.  People still play mmud cause they know the game.  We want users to know the mechanics before they even start the game.

Address to issues listed.

These are such minor issues, issues that never even came up in mmud's own idea forum.  They aren't worth the huff and tuff.  Adding a single line of code after we have completed our clone isnt an issue.  Don't worry about it now.

Ian

I realised that you probably wanted to make make changes after finishing the complete clone.... but why bother?? Why do you need the 100% clone first, when small changes like those mentioned could be added now (and it will eventually be a 98% clone anyway).

Anyway, either way a final decision needs to be reached and announced, so people (like me) can understand what exactly qualifies as bugs atm.
If we can hit that bulls-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards.? Check-mate!

DeathCow

The decision has been made, we want a clone first.  We are bothering for the sake of completeness.  And maybe other unpostable reasons.

Ian

Yeah, I should have made the options clearer to begin with.  I assumed they'd change stuff after making the clone, but what I'm interesting in is now, not later.  So you can see how I view those two options as the same.

Vitoc

FWIW, I voted for changing things now.

I know I've said this before, but at numerous points along the road so far, I've thought "wouldn't it be cool if..."? The answer is, yes, it would be cool if... varying? item qualities, enchantments on items (think enchanter class), advanced NPCs, allies/pets, realistic economy, better law enforcement/alignment system, those would all be very cool and they're very doable.? Don't even get me started on how frustrating it is to have to use the same basic structures for storing mob attacks and spell abilities, but I have to keep the new structures close to the original since NMR is what's being used to create the content.

Meh... was going to post something else here, but I don't want to hijack this thread, will start a new one.

ghaleon

Rome wasnt built in a day. First we need to make an exact copy. THEN once the copy is made and all the test are done so we know it is stable and working, the new changes can be added. Dont expect to have Vitoc jump right into the changes before the base is coded in. Thats just not going to happen. SO to answer this post, yes there is going to be an exact clone, and yes it will eventually be changed, but not until after.

If all your asking about are minor changes like spelling errors WCC made and little things like that, I'm sure thats not a big deal. BUT ive said it before, this project is supposed to continue where WCC/Metro(???) left off, not completely create a different type of mud. If thats what your looking for, just look up 'The Rose'.

Back me up if im correct about assuming this is true Vitoc/DC.
Free MajorMUD. No Playing Sysops - Quicksilver BBS
Quicksilver BBS
Quicksilver Forums