New MajorMUD Engine For Worldgroup

Started by Daniel Spain, Sep 16, 2014, 05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel Spain

i know i know people loathe Worldgroup, i get it, but it is where i began developing games and some sense of well let us call it loyalty still burns inside that says if i am gonna make any form of port/engineering what have you, i want it to start where it all began.
The great news is when i did it for tele-arena, that project ended with a full code base that compiles
under windows/Linux and you can compile either a standalone server for windows, linux, or mac osx, or you can compile a worldgroup nt/95 module.
With that being said it would be a majormud engine that even though i started with worldgroup you can run it under anything you choose.
The easy part (at least for me is the development part) the hard part will be the game itself.
Since i never played i would have to data mine, code, data mine, code, i would love to find some people interested and build a team to help facilitate this project.
I am not interested in flame wars, or worldgroup hatemail, and am in no way saying any bad thing about greatermud or any of its team members, i do this for fun, and challenge, nothing more, nothing less.
the end product will be offered for free, to anyone who wants a copy as it will be online available for download.
anyone interested please send me a pm, i am spending the next couple days finishing up assembling my database i already have a complete 1.11p SQLite database made, i just need to go through and
modify some fields, and make the H file for the data classes and structures.
after that i will put the first build online which is pretty bare.
if i can get some hands awesome, if not i wont be going anywhere get bored in the future and want
to assist drop me a pm.

cheers!

Daniel Spain

Teferi

Quote from: Daniel Spain on Sep 16, 2014, 05:35 PM
i know i know people loathe Worldgroup, i get it, but it is where i began developing games and some sense of well let us call it loyalty still burns inside that says if i am gonna make any form of port/engineering what have you, i want it to start where it all began.
The great news is when i did it for tele-arena, that project ended with a full code base that compiles
under windows/Linux and you can compile either a standalone server for windows, linux, or mac osx, or you can compile a worldgroup nt/95 module.
With that being said it would be a majormud engine that even though i started with worldgroup you can run it under anything you choose.
The easy part (at least for me is the development part) the hard part will be the game itself.
Since i never played i would have to data mine, code, data mine, code, i would love to find some people interested and build a team to help facilitate this project.
I am not interested in flame wars, or worldgroup hatemail, and am in no way saying any bad thing about greatermud or any of its team members, i do this for fun, and challenge, nothing more, nothing less.
the end product will be offered for free, to anyone who wants a copy as it will be online available for download.
anyone interested please send me a pm, i am spending the next couple days finishing up assembling my database i already have a complete 1.11p SQLite database made, i just need to go through and
if i can get some hands awesome, if not i wont be going anywhere get bored in the future and want
to assist drop me a pm.

cheers!

Daniel Spain

ZzzzZZZzzzzz.  Notorious vaporware author.  This guy and that dipthong from Putrid Reality or whatever should get together.  They might cure cancer. 

Stalkerr

Quote from: Daniel Spain on Sep 16, 2014, 05:35 PM
to assist drop me a pm.

cheers!

Daniel Spain
What is your interest in mmud as a non-player?

Vitoc

Thank you OP.  Thank you for using the free forums we provide to advertise your own project (on your very first post) to the user-base we have accumulated over the years providing a free game for everyone to play.

On a completely unrelated note (probably), isn't this the site you were previously on as dspain?
http://www.themajorbbs.com/

I know the place you frequented didn't just go down in flames and you're not just rushing to one of the only remaining MajorMUD-related shops still in town to hastily try to steal away users (with your first post here) and support for a competing project.  Because that would be pretty shitty if you were doing that.

Teferi

Quote from: Vitoc on Sep 24, 2014, 05:09 PM
Thank you OP.  Thank you for using the free forums we provide to advertise your own project (on your very first post) to the user-base we have accumulated over the years providing a free game for everyone to play.

On a completely unrelated note (probably), isn't this the site you were previously on as dspain?

I know the place you frequented didn't just go down in flames and you're not just rushing to one of the only remaining MajorMUD-related shops still in town to hastily try to steal away users (with your first post here) and support for a competing project.  Because that would be pretty shitty if you were doing that.

Poor Questman having to put up with that knobslob.

Karl

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Daniel Spain

Quote from: Teferi on Sep 16, 2014, 06:33 PM

ZzzzZZZzzzzz.  Notorious vaporware author.  This guy and that dipthong from Putrid Reality or whatever should get together.  They might cure cancer.

1) i haven't a clue who the %$%^ you're talking about, but ok, you're an idiot .. next.

Daniel Spain

Quote from: Stalkerr on Sep 16, 2014, 08:01 PM
What is your interest in mmud as a non-player?

i write game engines, and with majormud's demise form the worldgroup platform, i figured what the hell,
i would write a new one just as i did with usurper, tele-arena, legend of the red dragon, among several others.

didn't play those either.

Daniel Spain

Quote from: Jumpin Jack Flash on Sep 17, 2014, 07:14 AM
This ^.

i dont post on newsgroups, yet i wrote an updated rfc3977 nntp service for worldgroup.
i dont play tele-arena, yet i wrote a new engine for worldgroup.

to answer your question, why do i need to play the game to write an updated version for worldgroup?

Daniel Spain

Quote from: Vitoc on Sep 24, 2014, 05:09 PM

vitoc, really? you recommended i do this very thing. i could post the old inbox messages between the two of us on that very forum you mentioned above!
we spoke about greatermud being a telnet server that could load modules blah blah blah.
for years people have left this community and came over there venting about how greatermud is this and greatermud is that and i always turned away i saw no reason to invest the time, however as the years have went on seems more and more emails are incoming so i figured what the hell, what better place to find people who even still remember what majormud is than a site like this.
And as far as a competing product, if my intent was to compete i would have compiled one of the major mud (mbbs v6.xx) source codes i have had for many years way back when you first started.
i dont see any competition market for this or any other worldgroup related game, my intent was to get a few people to help me with game mechanics and api behavior and actually have some fun, you remember what that was do you not? people enjoying something and having a little fun without  looking over your shoulder thinking somebody was backstabbing you.
And with the response coming from you, i did not mean to touch any feelings, seems you wanted to be the only one to take YEARS to build a very simple game engine, well don't whine too hard, you are the
only one as i finished my engine a while ago and it is sitting where all my engines sit when im done on a github repo as i moved on to my next venture.
And the only reason i am even wasting this time here is because 4 people emailed me about how some from the greatermud community pretty much got their feelings hurt i would want to write my own majormud engine and i for the life of me could not understand how anyone would even care.

Daniel Spain

Quote from: Teferi on Sep 24, 2014, 05:30 PM

put up with what? making a game engine? you got to be the biggest fucking idiot ever.
i write game engines for fun, i could care less about your little world here, i posted, people contacted
me i wrote the engine (quite boring game might i add) and i moved on.
Bigger question is this, why do you care? i have the largest collection of worldgroup source codes
out there including old major mud versions, thats what i do, some people paint, some people collect rocks, some people cry about forum posts, and some people write code, rather i port old modules to worldgroup win32, or engineer my own engines from old door games, or whatever it is how i kill time, it is what i do.
so cry less, you remind me of the old forumshq bbs door author that trolled everything and whined about anything that slightly resembled competition to his door.

you fucking people ....... lol

Jumpin Jack Flash

Quote from: Teferi on Sep 24, 2014, 05:30 PM

Quote from: Daniel Spain on May 04, 2015, 09:21 PM
you got to be the biggest fucking idiot ever.

I'll give you that one!  @DSpain, please see my response to your post on mudinfo.net, which is a more appropriate place to discuss this. 

Teferi

See my post from a year ago.  This guy is just flapping gums.  He couldnt program a roomba to clean the inside of a box.