Double Casting Discussion

Started by Greater, Feb 04, 2020, 12:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greater

I've created this thread to (hopefully) initiate some discussion on the strengths and weaknesses of the double cast system that is currently in use on live realms.

As a summary of what double cast is, single target spells up to level 13 cast twice per round with the mana cost and total damage retuned. The mana costs are tuned to be slightly more generous than the stock setup would be if multiplied by two, and the damage is slightly under double of where spell mod would be for a single cast. This system was implemented mainly to help Magic-3 classes shore up their average damage at low level and to provide additional mana efficiency to help close the gap between them and melee classes in the low range. Hybrid classes also gained a viable source of boosted average damage, though whether this is balanced either in PVE, PVP or both remains up for discussion.

So what are your thoughts? If you see it as a problem, what solutions would you propose to fix it? Looking forward to your input!

Kakashi

I think the double cast is necessary for pure magic classes to be relevant in PVE early game. In normal game play, tank classes (aka AC) are simply too strong (especially early game) relative to any other type of class and the double cast helps bridge that gap a little bit for casters.

In regards to the mana cost/efficiency, I never personally saw an issue with it. I think it seems okay for the most part. Casters still need to rest / rest mana, so it seems fairly balanced (nice work!)

In regards to PVP - I feel that some people may think it may be a little too strong. However, my opinion is that casters should be strong. The bigger issue (again in my opinion) is AC. Druids, for example, benefit a LOT from the double cast while still getting a LOT of AC. Given that, my only thought is to maybe ensure that mages do in fact have the most damage potential since they lack AC and heals. I have not looked myself to confirm, but usually Druids do ALMOST as much as mages, making them better overall because of their heals and AC.

So I guess my only recommendation is to double check the spell damages on the casters are balanced to give mages a clear advantage in damage.

Hope you find this informative in some way.

Greater

Quote from: Kakashi on Feb 15, 2020, 10:16 PM
I think the double cast is necessary for pure magic classes to be relevant in PVE early game. In normal game play, thank classes (aka AC) are simply too strong (especially early game) relative to any other type of class and the double cast helps bridge that gap a little bit for casters.

In regards to the mana cost/efficiency, I never personally saw an issue with it. I think it seems okay for the most part. Casters still need to rest / rest mana, so it seems fairly balanced (nice work!)

In regards to PVP - I feel that some people may think it may be a little too strong. However, my opinion is that casters should be strong. The bigger issue (again in my opinion) is AC. Druids, for example, benefit a LOT from the double cast while still getting a LOT of AC. Given that, my only thought is to maybe ensure that mages do in fact have the most damage potential since they lack AC and heals. I have not looked myself to confirm, but usually Druids do ALMOST as much as mages, making them better overall because of their heals and AC.

So I guess my only recommendation is to double check the spell damages on the casters are balanced to give mages a clear advantage in damage.

Hope you find this informative in some way.

This is precisely the kind of feedback I hoped for when I posted this. Thank you! I hope to see more thoughts from others on the subject as well.