Zanthus

Started by Ariel, Mar 11, 2010, 12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ariel

Hello,

I've a question about Zanthus on a stock MAJORMUD board (sadly, it's not Greatermud). Since this board seems to have the most number of active users, I thought I would ask the question here.

For the best chance of killing him and at least having a few people surviving (so we can get the death shroud and skull-capped staff),
1) What is the best party size to take to kill Zanthus?
2) What is the best party combination to take to kill Zanthus?

Also, is it advisable to bring limited items along?

DeathCow

Basically I'd recommend Max damage builds with extremely high rfir and MR.  Casters are next to worthless.  You don't need AC against Zanthus so you can save yourself quite a few lims there, so long as you replace them with gear that adds mr/rfir/damage.  2 hander classes are your best bet, WHs, Warriors, Paladins.  Make sure you bring a party that can do at least 2500 damage a round, I'd aim for 4000/rnd to be safe.

Ariel

Thanks Deathcow!!!! :D Have a couple of questions which I didn't thought of just now:

1) Also, I heard large parties are "anti-helpful" because Zanthus casts necromantic storms and the more people in the room, the more health he'll regain ?

2) Does the ruby-encrusted bracers stun work on him?

DeathCow

Right large parties are anti-helpful.  Basically the idea is that adding in weaker classes that wont help much, like a druid, will tend to only help the lich heal, but a stronger class like a warrior can always be added because the warrior should do more damage than the lich will heal for.  Basically take all the beefy 2-hander classes you can get, and make sure you give everyone several black potions.  In theory if your damage is high enough you'll eventually kill him.

Zanthus is a summon to user type monster, meaning a textblock or spell creates him.  Because of this no room effects will hit him.  So no the bracers will not hit him.

Ariel

Thank you! Those are really helpful information.

P/S: You did not mention mystics in the "very helpful" class to take along. Basically, high-level mystics (level 70ish) would be extremely useful against Zanthus, isn't it?

DeathCow

Quote from: Ariel on Mar 11, 2010, 12:48 PM
Thank you! Those are really helpful information.

P/S: You did not mention mystics in the "very helpful" class to take along. Basically, high-level mystics (level 70ish) would be extremely useful against Zanthus, isn't it?

Depends on the build of the mystic.  So long has the avg round is very high the mystic is a decent choice, Although keep in mind that you'll have to completely rebless after entering the portal...

pentagruel

If you have access to best lims in game, 1 mystic can solo him with approximately 8-15 black potions and 1 mage/1priest/1 bard for blessing.

The 3 helpers are simply there to bless, they should stay in game for just 1 round with the lich to bles the mystic twice.  The mage should cast smit/fren, priest should cast fanat/dfav, bard should cast hero/force.

On the mystic, make sure you have bst/exec hood, and all +damage gear.   Upon entering portal, quaff a frothing brown potion and cast tiger,  next round, cast dragon form.  Your mystic should be critting in the 250-500 range, and it wont take long to kill him.  10 black pots should be enough to heal up.  15 to be super safe (Im assuming you can drink more than 1 pot per round, I know in gmud you can).

Quote from: Ariel on Mar 11, 2010, 12:23 PM
Hello,

I've a question about Zanthus on a stock MAJORMUD board (sadly, it's not Greatermud). Since this board seems to have the most number of active users, I thought I would ask the question here.

For the best chance of killing him and at least having a few people surviving (so we can get the death shroud and skull-capped staff),
1) What is the best party size to take to kill Zanthus?
2) What is the best party combination to take to kill Zanthus?

Also, is it advisable to bring limited items along?

DeathCow

Quote from: pentagruel on Mar 11, 2010, 04:48 PM
If you have access to best lims in game, 1 mystic can solo him with approximately 8-15 black potions and 1 mage/1priest/1 bard for blessing.

The 3 helpers are simply there to bless, they should stay in game for just 1 round with the lich to bles the mystic twice.  The mage should cast smit/fren, priest should cast fanat/dfav, bard should cast hero/force.

On the mystic, make sure you have bst/exec hood, and all +damage gear.   Upon entering portal, quaff a frothing brown potion and cast tiger,  next round, cast dragon form.  Your mystic should be critting in the 250-500 range, and it wont take long to kill him.  10 black pots should be enough to heal up.  15 to be super safe (Im assuming you can drink more than 1 pot per round, I know in gmud you can).

I really like this.  If their a good way to get around the need for the helpers?  I don't really recall what all you can do with potions its been too long. I'm a fan of instant 10 spelling on the lich to avoid some of the curse spells he can gimp you with.  Conf can rape you even with dozens of black potions.

Zetetic

Quote from: DeathCow on Mar 11, 2010, 12:45 PM
Zanthus is a summon to user type monster, meaning a textblock or spell creates him.  Because of this no room effects will hit him.  So no the bracers will not hit him.

Whether it is supposed to work or not I don't know, but currently thunderclap works on Zanthus in Greatermud. Because of this, I would assume that ruby encrusted will work as well, as they are an engaged combat spell.

I would highly recommend a druid in the party because of the above. Bosses turn into pansies if they have been clapped. The druid will likely die on that first round, and you've got to make sure that he's in everyones party before he claps, or you're in for an embarrassing loss.

Ariel

Quote from: Zetetic on Mar 11, 2010, 10:58 PM
Whether it is supposed to work or not I don't know, but currently thunderclap works on Zanthus in Greatermud. Because of this, I would assume that ruby encrusted will work as well, as they are an engaged combat spell.

I would highly recommend a druid in the party because of the above. Bosses turn into pansies if they have been clapped. The druid will likely die on that first round, and you've got to make sure that he's in everyones party before he claps, or you're in for an embarrassing loss.

I'm asking the question for a majormud stock board, not for greatermud.
I do believe Deathcow that thunderclap and ruby-encrusted does not work on him on a majormud stock board. Wonder if anyone else (or Deathcow) could comment on Zetetic's post?

DeathCow

On a stock board area spells won't work.  They probably do on Gmud, and they should.  Its a bug in MMUD.  The kai master's 2nd form is another example of a summon to user monster, aoe attacks wont work on him either if you'd like to try.