The Inquisition: (what to do with Witchunters) modified to remove smileys*

Started by The Crazy Animal, Dec 01, 2006, 01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Crazy Animal

LOL but they are trained to gain their abilities, and trained hard at that. Hit magic is not something they are born with as far as the description goes. None of their abilities are stated as being innate. The only difference is having it dynamic means that when that pesky +1 over your stat rate monster goes in is that you know at a point you will be able to kill it. Secondly it also opens up the possibility to speed your growth through questing ie. More playable content.

Weapon skills are already being developed as a separate idea. A portion of it will be dependant on combat level. So that?s a moot topic as far as that?s concerned.

There?s a very good logical reason for using a point system and that is that it has less overhead coding. Which means the coder can spend more time coding other more needed parts of the game rather then denoting a major development effort for a small segment.

Just as a point of reference is this the type of game mechanic you would rather see paired up with them? (Keep in mind it wouldn?t be using any of the listed abilities on that post just the core functionality.)
http://greatermud.com/forums/index.php?topic=691.0

Stackable though is something I think should be supported though I can't think up a single reason why not to let it happen.

LOL just to reassure you they wouldn?t be changed into paladins that can?t use magic weapons

El_Jefe

Mark my words, slut, you will pay for things dearly if you make my whunters pally whores.  I hate paladins with a passion.

DeathCow

The whole issue with witchunters in majormud is that people like to take the single paragraph that was written about them over a decade ago and suck the life out of the class.  I've taken the liberty of rewriting the paragraph.  In the gmud world, all classes have starting towns which are shared with another class.  For example mages and warlocks share a starting town,(warriors/paladins,thief/gypsy,cleric/wardancer) Witchunters in greatermud are a holy order and share their starting town with priests.  They view magic to be a gift from the gods and view anyone or anything that obtains magic in any other way to be in defiance of the gods.  Mages do not obtain their magics by prayer, so witchunters view mages to be ungodly.  

Most of the issue with witchunters in mmud is item choice rather than anything to do with there basic stats, so it isnt really an issue to simply change item choices.

As for most of your ideas they seem to really have to do with alterations needed in mmud rather than what you'd do to make ure they arent nerfed in a completely new build of the game.  The hit-5 is completely arbitrary so I dunno how that will play out, but yes I intend to preserve their ability to hit basically be able to hit just about anything with just about any weapon.

I'm kinda thinking I want to make a couple abilities that are basically just combinations of other abilities. 1) Holy- hit-magic and good  (or neutral maybe), Unholy-hit magic and evil (or neutral maybe).  These abilties would basically be the same as magical but would prevent players with Mage/Druid spell abilities from using them, and would allow for some leverage over witchunter abilities.

So in mmud terms, I'd make the silvery mace and Holy-1 weapon.  So Witchunters could use it, as well as warriors/theives/bards/priests, but mages/druids/gypsies could not use it.

El_Jefe

I dont think ANYONE on here is a real whunter at heart.

i can tell you that the joy is having NOTHING to do with spells or things that look like spells.  brute force with any item, perfect accuracy.  just lacking in crits and some gear problems currently but not huge problems.

The Crazy Animal

I had an interesting idea just now about how to power any special abilities that the Inquisitioner would have. The basis of this would be that they would get tribute points for sacrificing magical items at their shrines. So rather then having some type of daily use or auto regening point system; each time they sac a magical item they would get points equal to some value that is flagged on the item.

A few benifits this would give:
Adding to RPG feel of the overall class groups theme which is enforcing their magic free way of life.
Create some root value of magical items to them where before magical item rewards had little value.
Generate a reason to remove items from the game which would help out greatly with some of the inflationary problems that already exist.

Any thoughts on this?

manihooni

That sounds like a  Templar ? according to history originally they were to defend the temple in jerusalam and then later became enforcers of the safety of the religeous pilgrims.     
        I like the idea of say  willpower or divine/faith power. maybe like doing tai chi but thats too mystic sounding. ive always thought that clerics and palys should have been same class really. i mean they both can wear plate. only difference was magic ability and blunt versus sharp weapons. maybe combine them and make witchie another class in priest castes...but without magic? if they see priest power as divine providence instead of magic...?
        i also like the idea of faster healing abilities . i mean people have suddenly been cured of life threatening  ailments by the power of prayer/mind of body?  maybe whitchies could be adept at healing by means of herblore? they would means buying or "harvesting" herbs and other medicinal plants..? would definetly add RPG story telling of game.

Are we going to have say several gods/deities/spirits whatever to choose from? like quests just for that god/goddess. instead of some starge nun, a enigmatic grey guy and a evil mob boss? 

but that brings to mind what happens when your pledged? can you never be anything else? say you become disenchanted with how your ppl are doing things and become an apostate? that way there could be a flag for  old caste to attack ya on site?  i know it's a bit much but i'm still perusing that long post too.....

The Crazy Animal

Ya sorry a lot of my posts end up really long.

When I was thinking it up I mixed a few historic groups together for this the militant aspects rely heavily on info on Knights Templars and then used random info on the Roman Catholic Inquisition to set the core groups theme up. The way I picture them are as fundamentalist religious zealots fighting in a realm where the definition between magic, science, prayer, miracles, and faith are not clear cut and are still being fought over.

Within this actual group there would only be one main deity however through NPCs the words and wants of this deity are distorted and played out by the three factions that exist within the overall power structure. So in similar to the way mmud was there would be 3 chains of command that you would pick from as their power quests go. Unlike mmud though you wouldn?t start at the big boss you?d have to slowly work your way up in the ranks. The way I imagine the conflict with in the group working out is that as certain points with in the quests you will be able to make choices to change your side. I.e. you learn something or are asked to do something that are against you?re personal code and either go with it or re-find where you want to be. I?m hoping that it will be a little more fluid then what mmud did. The two main types of quests would be intrigue based internal ones and various external ones.

As for how the priestly classes work into this is still a little up in the air. DC would like to have the starting witch hunter area and priest area together. So I?m still adjusting my thoughts over to that. My original thoughts on the priestly group were to have them be servants and protectors of a particular deity, demon, or spirit which would allow for them to branch out and develop in a few different ways. By changing the starting point to encounter the inquisition group sooner changes some of the dynamics of what I?ve thought out so far. I?d like to make it so that if someone of the priestly group wanted to service the inquisitioner?s deity then they could do that as well which is why the two class groups have remained separate for the time being. The main problem with the overlap would be that any of the priestly groups would need to dump their magic while making the change over.

I?ve already started to plan for some herblore and other non-magical means of healing.

Anything pertaining to groups and their retaliation for actions would be handled under the faction alignment system. This would keep separate scores for how groups interact with you and you with them.

El_Jefe

I am thinking about this topic again. 

After a while it comes down to my desire for:

6th swing - you get quick and deadly with only faster weapons, so this balances it.
Stances - Fighting styles.  Just makes sense.  Kai forms are similar though.
Prayers - You know how the hammers of balance are like sick weapons?  they have 2 extra strikes 100% of the time.  I think prayers could add this.  Holy damage attacks to every contact, or hellfire for the evil whunters.  Neutral would get maybe Frost hits.  Works I think.  Hard to code though I imagine.  This could be really neat if something does rip damage.  could stack up 2 damages every contact (regumud rip does said damage everytime it shows up plus the tic after from the rip)

I am looking for ways to not make a new mud.

I have played many new muds. all bored me.  complicated, didnt make sense, nothing really did.  you could tell 3-4 geeks made it to suit their vision and no tried and true design.  I think the best gmud will be majormud with more stuff, 10x more quests and more uniqueness to each class.

I dont think classes should be balanced.   pvp definitely not.  certain builds are for pvp.  mages scripting the war pen deserve to die like whores, etc.