Armour sets

Started by Ian, Apr 18, 2006, 10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

This was touched upon briefly in another thread, but it was off-topic and rambling by the time I read it, so I'll start a fresh one.

The concept is stolen from Diablo2.  Certain armour pieces are part of a set (King George's Platemail for instance).  Once you've collected (and are wearing) King George's Helm, Tunic, Leggings, etc, you start to get bonuses.

Ooh, a better example.  Green dragonhide gear could become a set.  Obviously it gives you some poison resistance.  But if you are wearing 4 pieces of the set and you also have a chance to deal poison damage on each swing.  5 armour pieces gives same as before plus and each round you have a chance to fart and poison the whole room.  6 armour pieces gives same as before plus completely immune to poison.

So you get bonuses from wearing armour comprising a set, and the more pieces, the higher the bonuses.

Workable, or too much of a rip (if there's any such thing on this board!)?
If we can hit that bulls-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards.? Check-mate!

DeathCow

Its not too much of a rip.  I hadn't quite thought of doing armour sets <but I wasn't gonna limit myself anyway>  But I really wanted to make certain weapon/off-hand combinations work have some benefits. 

I like the idea so long as there is a reason for it.  Ie logical reason for the items to work together or some story-line based reason.

Vitoc

Quote from: DeathCow on Apr 19, 2006, 02:50 AM
Its not too much of a rip.? I hadn't quite thought of doing armour sets <but I wasn't gonna limit myself anyway>? But I really wanted to make certain weapon/off-hand combinations work have some benefits.?

I like the idea so long as there is a reason for it.? Ie logical reason for the items to work together or some story-line based reason.
Wait...? Logical?? Who are you and what have you done with the real DC?

DeathCow

Valentine

I think this was partially my idea...I have other applications, but I think my original idea was for dragon scale armor...something about it having the mild magic property that if it was used as a complete set it would "meld" at the seams adding a bit more AC.

I'm delirious from pseudoephedrine so I'll have to come back to this in a few days.
"...There was always a minority afraid of something, and a great majority afraid of the dark, afraid of the future, afraid of the past, afraid of the present, afraid of themselves and shadows of themselves..." --Ray Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles

Ian

Oh yeah, for sure.  Possibly get an extra 5/1 for wearing a complete set or something.  And of course the sets would be themed.  Dragon-hide sets is one idea.  Sets based on NPC's is another eg, black plate would become Blood Champion armor.  Dwarven armor, elvish armor (for leather wearers), etc.  The possibilities are endless (to a mind more creative than mine.  I'm already at an end).
If we can hit that bulls-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards.? Check-mate!

ghaleon

isnt that world of warcraft?
Free MajorMUD. No Playing Sysops - Quicksilver BBS
Quicksilver BBS
Quicksilver Forums

Rhinehold

World of Warcraft revolutionized gaming, and they still continue to evolve their own beast.  There is little we will do here that hasn't already been done.... especially by WoW ;-)

I DO like the idea of armor sets though.  A reward for high level gear is being decked head to toe in the "High Cardinal's Regalia".  Perhaps this could be a new addendum to the "look (character)" funtion.  Once a complete armor set is being worn a new sentence appears . 

"He is draped(cloth) in the High Cardinals Regalia."
-------"wrapped" = ninja   
"She is clad(plate) in the Guard Captains Platemail."   
"He is garbed(leather) in the Ranger Kings Armor."
"She is armored(chain) in the Dark Lord's Reinments"