"On Use" spell levels

Started by Kafkaa, Mar 24, 2014, 12:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kafkaa

The on use spells being level 0 makes them practically useless. It's kind of fine for unlimited use items like the nexus spear, dusk, chakram, sunburst etc. but for those with limited uses such as the storm crown, stormmetal bracers, ruby-encrusted bracers etc being level 0 makes them practically useless.

Like ruby encrusted bracers have this awesome spell, except it doesnt hit anything by the time you get them. I think this needs to be revisited.

Stalkerr

I agree, but I wouldn't hold my breath on us addressing individual items anytime soon :(

The Crazy Animal

What exactly would you like to see those items do?

Not to go off topic with this but I love the idea of a soullinked item that grows with the player who is using it and don't know where you are pointing your idea at. An item like this could have a number of spells or abilities attached to it that are not all instantaneously use-able by every character's Level, Magic type, Magic level, Combat level from the moment they are equipping it.  So the soullinked item would appear to the player to grow in power with the character but have a defined lifespan of use. Perhaps you could call up an item power list and get a list of powers similar to a spell list that are available for these types of items. Or even get bonuses for sets of armor even such as having the storm crown and stormmetal bracers on at the same time...  If it makes it easier to think about picture The sword Tessaiga from the Anime Inuyasha http://inuyasha.wikia.com/wiki/Tessaiga There is no reason we can't express that in the scope of the game though if it is wanted.

Kafkaa

Well its more that Ive got the ruby encrusted bracers at level 50 or 60 or whatever level it was, but all the bosses I'm going to use them on are immune to the spell.

I don't mean I want it to stun the bosses (although that would be nice) Even making the spell level 20 or 30 would let it hit the hydra heads or the guys with the dreadlord, or stun all the bone warriors that pop out with Feyr for example. I think the only boss that I use them on is the hanging tree.

That aside, because they are practically useless, ivory bracers are better then them, which you can get at level 1.

The Crazy Animal

That's an easy data fix for one item (i.e. you just raise the spell level) or should it work like clock work across the board ? Seriously what is your ideal with the exception of an instant easy kill? Can you give us a calculation or fair approximation even in terms of spell growth for a singular effect?

So my first note would be that it's a magical 1 item:
How far level range wise should magical 1 items go? Should it be magic nonmagic to 1 or magic 1+ and then diminishing power?
Level rate for class type distinctions can be different for each class would you set at class rates for each one? In this particular case it has the Bloodstone Bracers warrior only spell. This could be changed to something like warriors get it first and then later classes can use it later?

What's your ideal? Think in terms of usable game rules. You can subdivide it if it helps gmud 1 mmud emulator, gmud 2 what players would really want out of a text game based on mmuds base command structure.

Jumpin Jack Flash

Instead of altering the spell on the bracers, maybe all that needs to happen is to lower the level of usability on them.  The way I'm reading his post, is that by the time you are able to use the bracers, they do not affect the types of boss mobs you are fighting at that level.  Maybe lowering the level on the item will make it so they are actually useful to the character against the types of boss mobs they are fighting at that level, ie. instead of being useless against Oz, Dark Mage, Feyr, etc., they will be useful against orc warlord, blood champ, etc.  Just my .02 cents, but like the World's most Interesting Man, my .02 cents are worth $37 and some change.  8)

Stalkerr

Quote from: Jumpin Jack Flash on Apr 11, 2014, 06:18 AM
Instead of altering the spell on the bracers, maybe all that needs to happen is to lower the level of usability on them.  The way I'm reading his post, is that by the time you are able to use the bracers, they do not affect the types of boss mobs you are fighting at that level.  Maybe lowering the level on the item will make it so they are actually useful to the character against the types of boss mobs they are fighting at that level, ie. instead of being useless against Oz, Dark Mage, Feyr, etc., they will be useful against orc warlord, blood champ, etc.  Just my .02 cents, but like the World's most Interesting Man, my .02 cents are worth $37 and some change.  8)

There are multiple problems with the bracer...the first being that they are game breakingly broken in mmud.

The Crazy Animal

Quote from: Stalkerr on Apr 11, 2014, 06:57 AM
There are multiple problems with the bracer...the first being that they are game breakingly broken in mmud.

Doesn't mean they have to stay that way though.. What would you fix on them?