Discouraging rapid hang ups / entering

Started by President, Nov 25, 2010, 09:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think there should be an option for sysops to enable a 'time out'? For example, every disconnect requires you to stay outside of the Realm for 10** minutes.

Total Members Voted: 0

President

This idea is catered to the PVP Realm. When you hang up, you can log on to the BBS, but there is a mandatory 10 (this number probably configurable) minute wait before you're allowed to enter again. This does a couple things:

It gives your attacker time to rest up and regain any advantage.
It prevents spamming entering/exiting for whatever reason
It hesitates the decision to hang up
Any exploit that hanging and entering can achieve is rendered useless or less useful
A boss can also regen hps

President

I'm not meaning to pick on Edge as there are a plethora of people doing very similar things, but there's something wrong with this picture:

12:04pm Edge just entered the Realm.
12:04pm Iron just entered the Realm.
12:06pm Edge just entered the Realm.

The hestation between at 12:05pm indicates the user is at keys and is not having connection issues; he is in full control of whatever it is that he's doing. The big point here is that MUD should be played in Realm, not out at all.

President

06:58pm Zoquphiash just entered the Realm.
06:59pm Zoquphiash just entered the Realm.
07:00pm Zoquphiash just entered the Realm.
07:04pm Zoquphiash just entered the Realm.
07:05pm Zoquphiash just entered the Realm.
07:06pm Zoquphiash just entered the Realm.
07:07pm Zoquphiash just entered the Realm.
07:07pm Zoquphiash just entered the Realm.
07:08pm Zoquphiash just entered the Realm.
07:08pm Iron gossips: kid rock is the new lynard skyard
07:08pm Zoquphiash just entered the Realm.

Gardner Denver

They are getting their asses kicked and trying to get away from the player/mob that is doing the kicking.  You can set a macro, log on, hit the macro and hang real quick.  Whatever is in the macro will execute even if you are off line.  They are using it to move a few rooms at a time.

Hydroponic

If there is a delay it should be like 1 minute maybe because if someone hangs me and I cannot enter to retaliate then I just get evil and if I am a evil person I'll get screwed

Jigga

I think the hang penalties pretty much are the discouragement, no?

If there is a delay, like you suggest 10 minutes, and I'm the person attacking and my enemy hangs from low hps, I really don't want to have to wait that time for them to reenter so I can kill them. Plus the person getting owned may also not want to wait and just go afk, thus leaving me with a much less chance of killing him.
~{RoBDaWG - Jigga - Rza}~   ||  ~{Sysop of UtopiaBBS.com}~

President

Good points UtopiaBBS nd Hydroponic. I think that a Sysop configurable number is the way to go. You'd probably see small numbers, such as 1 or 2 minutes, and als much larger numbers, like 20 minutes or even an hour. As far as retal, I believe the current retal is broken, and should be suspended upon hangs, and of course started where it was left off when the perso enters the Realm.

Prescience

I don't really see the harm in rapid hanging/entering. If one is engaged in PVP and they do it they will die from hang penalties.

I agree it can be annoying but there are other things I would rather see fixed first; sleep being chief among them. I am playing a level 25 mage right now and I can't wait to spam the hell out of someone when I hit 40ish (I might even keep that person perma-stunned without attacking them just to be ridiculously annoying).

The Crazy Animal

You could put in an auto suspend like if more then x number of relogs happen in y time it suspends the account for z minutes. I really don't think it would help though.