Make GreaterMUD OpenSource

Started by ghaleon, Mar 07, 2006, 08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghaleon

I hope you guys are going as slow with the code as you are in the forums.

Just out of curiosity why are you not planning on making this open source? Do you plan on charging or something?
Dont you think we could get this done SOO much faster if we had several people working on this project at the same time?

Just curious...

Ghaleon
Free MajorMUD. No Playing Sysops - Quicksilver BBS
Quicksilver BBS
Quicksilver Forums

The Crazy Animal

I think at the moment he is making too many small changes across all of the files to benefit from doing an open-source type thing. It might just be me but I think it would be probably better to wait for it to get into the beta or release candidate v1 phase before going that route.

I wouldn't take this as the final word but thats what I kind of picked up on.

BTW whats so slow???

proteus

Quote from: ghaleon on Mar 07, 2006, 08:02 PM

Just out of curiosity why are you not planning on making this open source? Do you plan on charging or something?
Dont you think we could get this done SOO much faster if we had several people working on this project at the same time?

Just curious...

Ghaleon

No one is stopping anyone from starting their own project, you know.

DeathCow

Quote from: ghaleon on Mar 07, 2006, 08:02 PM

Just curious...

Ghaleon

Its really not going all that slow..there is just lots to do.

To make something open sourced and successful takes way more management skills than I have anyways.

erek

i'll be honest in my opinion. i have my doubts about the coder's ability to handle open sourcing the project in a method that allows committing changes such as svn or cvs repositories.  it could be that he prides himself too much with the work he put into the project to allow a coglomeration of people to work on it.  i also have my doubts about his ability to manage the project such as what we see going on with the Linux kernel or X.Org development.  to take a step away from the position of the one and only coder to managing a team of coders doesn't really seem to be in his mindset or ability. i understand this is a very derogatory stance to take, but it's actually fairly realistic. i think i should be entitled to my suspiciouns, as i've tried to present them in a reasonable manner.

DeathCow

Quote from: erek on Mar 08, 2006, 04:12 PM
i'll be honest in my opinion. i have my doubts about the coder's ability to handle open sourcing the project in a method that allows committing changes such as svn or cvs repositories. it could be that he prides himself too much with the work he put into the project to allow a coglomeration of people to work on it. i also have my doubts about his ability to manage the project such as what we see going on with the Linux kernel or X.Org development. to take a step away from the position of the one and only coder to managing a team of coders doesn't really seem to be in his mindset or ability. i understand this is a very derogatory stance to take, but it's actually fairly realistic. i think i should be entitled to my suspiciouns, as i've tried to present them in a reasonable manner.

Actually Its just easier to do it by yourself.  That way you don't have to deal with overly opinionated people.

ghaleon

Quote from: The Crazy Animal on Mar 07, 2006, 08:24 PM
BTW whats so slow???

When I mean by 'I hope its not going as slow as on the forums' is that not very many people have been posting on the forums recently. You dont usually go to a alpha/beta (whatever version your in) website to see Cow talking about when his next favorite TV show will be on.

The reason why I like the idea of open source is it will never be lost. Do you realize how many people have attempted this type of thing, just to fade off into the sunset taking what they have done so far with them? Open source would keep this whole thing alive, as long as there was someone interested in working on it.
Quicksilver BBS
Quicksilver Forums

erek

lol@reference to Cow watching his favourite TV series.  :)

The Crazy Animal

Still in early alpha version.

Grin well you know there are only about 10 members that have over 25 posts and even less members that check in daily and post. I'm not sure what you expect out of a member base like that but I think for the number of posting members that the speed of the forum is about what it should be. Maybe I'm just not sure what type of progress you expect to see?

There is a nice content submission section up you can alway speed stuff up by contributing to it. There are even lists up in that section for what is needed for content.

TCA

DeathCow

Actually the forums slowed down just after we got through testing all the things we needed to test.  Vitocs is fixing those things/working on new things.  We dont have the test server up at the momment cause we wanna get a certain amount done before we go back and fix things.  So no test server=not a whole lot to talk about.

I post random things about tv shows and the such so that people do know that I still have an active interest in this.

I do understand your frustration, and of course I would love to make everyone happy.

The forum really only slowed down when we decided it be a good time to slow things down.  We took the the server so we could work on things without tons and tons of corrections to what we had done.  Once we get all caught up, and get some new stuff and put the server back up, the forum will have some more activity.

As for slow, the forum has 2200 posts in 60 days...and its about a reworking of a 15 year old text based game.  To me that very active.

Relorian

Hey look! I posted. Does this make the dude happy?

Vitoc

Sorry for the delay on responding.

It won't be open source.? That's non-negotiable.

However, last week I was pondering the idea of taking on another coder.? Unfortunately, I haven't had much time to do much of anything lately on Greater MUD.? I got a "promotion" of sorts at work ( 8) ) and have been handed the Herculean task of making sense of thousands of lines of someone else's code who gave her notice two weeks ago, without being given the chance to even speak with her about it before she left. ( :( )

My short term goal right now for this project is to take up the offer on the RAM from the person in the other thread and get the ghetto box running a realm 24/7 so we can keep finding the numerous bugs.? After I get that going, I'm going to try to put another two weeks of dedicated coding into it and see where it gets us.? Honestly, it's a personal goal of mine to finish all the coding on my own, but I recognize the frustration the Major MUD community has already been through and how long they've been waiting.? ?After those two weeks of coding, if I'm burned out and I still feel like I'm far from finished, I will take on another coder.

ghaleon

Quote from: DeathCow on Mar 09, 2006, 06:22 AM
As for slow, the forum has 2200 posts in 60 days...and its about a reworking of a 15 year old text based game.  To me that very active.

hehe yup but almost half of them are from you.

I said it before and I'll say it again. Look how many times this type of thing has been attempted. Making it open source STILL would be a good idea, if not just to keep the coding alive. 

What IF now Vitoc decides he's too busy in his own life to continue and quits for a while. The code may as well belong to Metro. Making it open will allow work to constantly be done to it, getting things done as quick as possible.
Quicksilver BBS
Quicksilver Forums

The Crazy Animal

Quote from: ghaleon on Mar 13, 2006, 04:17 PM
I said it before and I'll say it again. Look how many times this type of thing has been attempted. Making it open source STILL would be a good idea, if not just to keep the coding alive.?

What IF now Vitoc decides he's too busy in his own life to continue and quits for a while. The code may as well belong to Metro. Making it open will allow work to constantly be done to it, getting things done as quick as possible.

We already got your point but all it takes to keep code alive is to release it prior to stopping its production. However, Its not really a big deal right now because no one to my knowledge is quiting working on this. Right now he wants to solo the code so it would be better to let him work in a style he is comfortable working in then to convince him to work in a style that he does not want to work in at the moment.

TCA

The Crazy Animal

I think what we have is about as open-source as we really need it. Almost all ideas are at least looked at right now and content contributions are welcomed as long as they fit into the overall scheme. So untill there is a need for more data/code workers there isn't much of a point in pushing the open-source issue an further.

I think time could be better spent if people want to help by getting the large amount of NPC, Item, room, and other descriptions finished.

TCA