Arena Tournament Games:

Started by The Crazy Animal, Jul 08, 2006, 08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeathCow

Quote from: The Crazy Animal on Jan 02, 2007, 05:06 AM
I'm still on the wall with some of its functions the small mazes it does are no worse the silvermeres portal arena. I agree though that in order to really make them intresting they tend to get rather large. I think some of it is just in finding the right size to make them work well. I'll play with it for a few more days if I can find the magic values for size I'll let you know. If not I'll check out some of the other maze software out there.

Yeah thing is, I couldn't possibly need or want software to generate something as simple as the silvermere arena.

The Crazy Animal

I agree at that size its just as easy to do by hand. What I was trying to key it in for about 6-10 times the size of silvermeres arena.. so far I'm having moderate luck with it.

A few of the things I thought that would be cool to do with it was:
A large multi floor laby like area.
A med. size shrub maze for an area outside a castle.

Mukami

Have you thought of just grabbing a road map before? Some of those streets out there can be confusing but still logicaly designed. so it would feel more like a map than a maze. just google map or mapquest areas. I would think big cities would be best but im sure some rural roads have their uses too. anyway just a thought.

DeathCow

Hadnt thought of that.  Might not be a horrible idea :p

Vitoc

I was thinking about this idea yesterday and the more I think about it, the more I like it:

We have scheduled contests where players and/or teams are given a specific amount of experience and a specific amount of money to be spent to "prepare" for the tournament.  For example, suppose a tournament was scheduled for 1pm tomorrow.  People would enter the contest and be given 200k experience and maybe 5 platinum and be placed in their own private staging area.  They'd be allowed to train (level up) as much as their given exp would allow them based on their race/class and train their stats.  They could spend their 5 platinum on items in their designated staging areas.  At the specified start time of the tournament, a gate would open that leads to the main arena and the tournament would officially start (everyone else's gates would open as well).

This could work for both pvp and for players vs. mobs (like pitting a group of players against a huge mob or a set of mobs).  We could have real time rankings and captures of the fights on a web site.  I'm thinking we start this out as a side game, not connected to a real realm, but if it were popular and/or successful we can hook it into a real realm and have people bet on the outcomes.  Players could have an option to choose a gladiator lifestyle and each match they win they receive more money, experience, and special items.

I typed all that as a new thread today.  Then I saw there was one with the same name just a few threads down so I deleted mine and moved it here.   :P

After getting our web editor working I will create a small area for exactly this purpose (unless someone else wants to).  The main arena could consist of like 10 rooms or so in the center, and then a bunch of gates on the outskirts each leading to a staging area with a trainer and a shop to buy items.  Each shop should probably be identical in the name of making the contest fair.

This idea is exciting me. ;)

The Crazy Animal

Sounds like fun the only problem I can see how it would work in an established realm. Ie. Would this require a secondary account or would there be some way to store the secondary arena character on the main user account?

On an additional point it would be a lot of fun to be able to play as a monster in this type of arena combat. So a player could say play as a dragon or any other monster type with a specialized spell/attack set against another character be it monster or PC available character.

Note - Another nice way to provide levels would be through a classic video game type of level up potion. These then plus additional items would be tossed around the area be it loose on the ground, dropped by specially summoned monsters, and or in chests... This would allow the arena players to then start at level 1 and race to gain the power advantage of the other players involved.

Vitoc

Quote from: The Crazy Animal on Mar 13, 2007, 11:09 PM
Sounds like fun the only problem I can see how it would work in an established realm. Ie. Would this require a secondary account or would there be some way to store the secondary arena character on the main user account?

On an additional point it would be a lot of fun to be able to play as a monster in this type of arena combat. So a player could say play as a dragon or any other monster type with a specialized spell/attack set against another character be it monster or PC available character.
I think initially it will be it's own side game that's not connected to a main realm.  But if it's popular and people want it, we can integrate it into a real realm.  When we get to that point, I see people signing up in-game to participate in events with their actual characters, billboards for these events could be posted and "announced" by town criars and npcs in town.  We can implement features like handicapping and odds and what not in the name of making it more fair and exciting.  We can have some events where you have to shed all your gear and equip from a restricted set of items, or we can have some events where you "run what you brung, and hope you brung enough."  Some could be winner-takes-all (meaning gear from fallen opponents and/or rewards) while others would just be grudge matches or friendly competitions.  The sky is the limit really.

As for players playing as mobs, it would be kind of cool for people to be able to transform their characters into a mob form (like a shapeshifter of sorts), so adding this type of feature into the arena/gladiator thing might be feasible.