PVP Feedback - Problems, Successes and Suggestions for next reset

Started by Greater, Mar 05, 2020, 11:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xeeg

mr sinister

Blake

Thanks for bringing new content to GMUD.  Definitely refreshing and fun to poke around with new stuff.

Tanks - Four tanks in the top 50, zero tanks in the top 20.  The fact that dodge is more valuable than AC seems wrong.  I think the pendulum swung a little too far towards backstabbing classes.  I'm not sure how various tanks rose up the ranks and maybe they were just bad at scripting, but sure seems like backstabbers had the best places to earn at.

Priests vs. Mage - anyone tried a high level pvp battle between these magic users?  Pretty one-sided once they both reach lvl 55 or so.  I think the magicres needs a debuff.

Room scripting areas - at the higher levels, there are basically four places for mages to go whereas backstabbers have dozens.  At high levels it appears druids are better off doing one rgen rooms.  You're also talking about taking away / drastically changing two of the room scripting areas in the next push?  Would be nice to have more.

Greater

Quote from: Blake on Mar 26, 2020, 10:04 PM
Tanks - Four tanks in the top 50, zero tanks in the top 20.  The fact that dodge is more valuable than AC seems wrong.  I think the pendulum swung a little too far towards backstabbing classes.  I'm not sure how various tanks rose up the ranks and maybe they were just bad at scripting, but sure seems like backstabbers had the best places to earn at.

Winter and I have agreed that to some degree tanks have been left behind. In some cases this has been due overbuffing of other classes like Mystic. In the example of a Cleric, they're overshadowed by Priests in almost every aspect. In other cases like Witchunter, the class shows a lot of strength early and wanes as the game goes on. We're taking steps to correct some of these imbalances and looking at ways to get tanks a little more competitive.  We've discussed using class quests and new spells to do so, but any suggestions would be considered.

On the topic of backstabbers, to a degree I am with you that backstabbers have a bit too much free reign right now. I've taken steps to make it a little less easy for backstabbers to waltz in anywhere they want and set up for easy and high rates. That doesn't mean there won't be good places for backstabbers to go, but rather that in some cases they're going to have to do a little more work to get an area up to snuff for backstab scripting. As examples, they might have to drag a few double lairs out to make singles in order to complete a path of singles, or they might have to contend with a harder-to-backstab monster in the mix for the area.

Priests vs. Mage - anyone tried a high level pvp battle between these magic users?  Pretty one-sided once they both reach lvl 55 or so.  I think the magicres needs a debuff.
Priest is the natural counter to Mage, and so on some level they will always have strength in that matchup. That being said, Priests have been too strong as all around characters and have a fair amount of changes coming in the future. I wouldn't rule out a magic res debuff in the future as all options are on the table for new spells, but I'm also not completely comfortable with Mages getting free MR from a spell that effectively costs nothing in the long run (protective aura).

Room scripting areas - at the higher levels, there are basically four places for mages to go whereas backstabbers have dozens.  At high levels it appears druids are better off doing one rgen rooms.  You're also talking about taking away / drastically changing two of the room scripting areas in the next push?  Would be nice to have more.

We've discussed this a fair amount and the plan going forward is to get some non-rooming-designed areas built and tuned up that will offer equivalent rates for Mages without necessarily building more rooming-designed areas. Rooming areas tend to be exploitable to a much higher degree. This doesn't mean we'll never build another, but we're trending away from it being the sole option for Mages and Druids at high end.

Thanks for bringing new content to GMUD.  Definitely refreshing and fun to poke around with new stuff.

Thank you! We're always looking for people interested in helping out too, whether that be designing items, maps, coding or any number of tasks. If you or someone you know is interested in helping, then please have them contact us. Have an open mind and be ok with your potentially ideas being edited. Tourists need not apply.

duder

Silver-runed cowl. It says it's level 40 in the db file. At the shop in person as a level 40 it says "too powerful". Also cannot equip it. Something is wrong there.

I haven't really played witchhunter, but I've seen people recommend to a witchhunter player to script crimson fortress (that place full of anti-magic monsters). This doesn't make sense to me - optimal place for an anti-magic class is scripting an anti-magic area? In theory it should be a witchhunter scripting a place full of monsters that only use magic, no? So they would not damage the witchhunter as much as other classes. Kind of the same concept as scripting a place where you can use magic that monsters are weak against (fire magic against ice golems).

silver bracers
polished silver armbands

These two items are virtually identical but one far more expensive and harder to get. I'm not seeing the point of it.

Winterhawk

The cowl is a bug in the data that has been corrected for next push.
The fortress is a recommended spot for 2 reasons..witchys can get a scroll as part of a quest that makes some of the monsters non-hostile til attacked and the gmud regen mechanics will allow rooms to spawn one mob at a time if you can kill fast enough.
The silver bracers had a -2 max damage on them and the polished silver did not.,,,this was meant to be put back when the armbands were introduced but we ended up rushing a partial mod out to get some content for you folks to play with and it slipped through the cracks.

Fermouth

Having issues while scripting with characters just showing up on statline.
Completely random and some are random special characters. Causes megamud to stall out until it hits enter.
Also, having issues with parts of room not showing up at all. 
For example, walking into a room and having only the room Title show up, nothing else.  Not even statline.

[HP=917/KAI=68]:3

Broadcast from Stinkyhaze "please dont take me to the bathroom, will"