New Major/Greatermud client update!

Started by Apophis2310, May 18, 2012, 08:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apophis2310

Well I decided on going with the application in WinForms for right now to open it up to wider user base, seems to be coming along nicely.

Here are some screenshots of the client right now.

http://lucid-technology.net/MajormudClientProgress.aspx

Stalkerr

Mmm brain trobbing remebering all the little things that needed to be done to let megamud work in gmud.

Gnor

Hi.

I posted a few comments on MMB when it was up about some cosmetic issues.

Still don't understand the need for the big gaudy bars to gauge health and experience. I'd do away with them.

The monster information window might be useful, but it would be a lot more useful with a transparency setting. Also, it would need options for 'Always on Top', etc.

Thanks for putting some effort into a new terminal.

Gardner Denver

Looks good.  You're missing one option on your auto login.  What port to use.

Apophis2310

Yeah the winforms progressbars look funky, the smoothed doesnt look much better, I want to see if I can make a customized one with my own graphics, but that probably wont be for a little while. Yeah Gardner I forgot the port I assumed that most telnet was on port 23 but guess not true in all cases. I will add that to the configuration. Thanks.

Gnor

Quote from: Apophis2310 on May 19, 2012, 11:47 PM
Yeah the winforms progressbars look funky, the smoothed doesnt look much better, I want to see if I can make a customized one with my own graphics, but that probably wont be for a little while.

I don't see why they are necessary at all. They remind me of an old mud terminal that someone tried to make partially graphical.

It just ended up looking gaudy and nobody really used the terminal.

Apophis2310

You dont have to look at the window its completely optional, if you want to stare at your non-bright cyan and bright cyan stateline all day that is fine.

Gnor

We've been staring at the statline for 20 years. If it isn't broken, don't add crappy looking bars to fix it.

It's not like you need to "revolutionize" the statline or something. People don't bitch about the current standard terminal (MegaMUD) over a lack of huge gaudy health and mana bars.

Torque

Quote from: Gnor on May 20, 2012, 09:59 AM
We've been staring at the statline for 20 years. If it isn't broken, don't add crappy looking bars to fix it.

We've also lived without air conditioning for thousands of years, but some people like it. Keep your optional progress bar in your code, it's already there.

strantheman

Hey Apophis, I'd like to chat a bit about your client. I am also a developer (php, mysql, *nix) and after looking at your "Overview of the System" diagram I have a few questions.

Mainly I'm interested in what your client might provide as far as triggers on certain messages, or even an API. For example, maybe we could allow a mobile app or mobile site to communicate with the client so people could run basic commands from their phones. I'd be interested in at least talking about it. Basically, if there's a protocol for messages, can it be accessed externally?

I've been trying to get the GMUD devs to add some functionality to the game to allow external commands to be run from within the game, but maybe the client could solve this need. ( http://www.greatermud.com/forums/index.php?topic=2826.msg14051#msg14051 )
Kap - PVP Realm

Torque

This is a cool thing going on. I want to offer my help as a novice VB Python C's type of guy.. I recently rebuilt the interface of MegaMUD from scratch, although other experts on the matter weren't too impressed. Anyway, PM me if you want me to do some grunt work or have me involved in any way. That goes for anyone that wants to get anything done!