Things that need fixing in the Engine

Started by Vitoc, Jan 31, 2006, 08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vitoc

Ugh... after a couple hours of frustrating googling last night I came up with nothing.  Doing searches on telnet and iac commands results in a sea of RFCs and obsolete standards ranging from the very first terminal to the very latest.  99% of it is useless to me and finding that one page that spells it out for me has eluded me thus far.  Whatever the answer is I know I shouldn't be manually adding line feeds if the length is too long, because that's what was causing mega to cut off the messages last week.  I think I'm going to progress without word wrap for now and put that issue on the backburner.

The Crazy Animal

Can you tell me what terminal type megamud uses for its emulation?

TCA

proteus

For whatever it's worth, I think the word wrap had an effect on the descriptions of things. Of course, I don't remember ever looking at anything before this issue came up, so I can't be sure. But descriptions look bad now.

DeathCow

I talked to locke and he said

Locke: MajorMUD just spits out text, no fancy word wrapping at all. It lets the client handle that. It only sends a linefeed when the line is actually finished.

I tend to think he knows his stuff.

Vitoc

Quote from: DeathCow on Feb 09, 2006, 05:44 PM
I talked to locke and he said

Locke: MajorMUD just spits out text, no fancy word wrapping at all. It lets the client handle that. It only sends a linefeed when the line is actually finished.

I tend to think he knows his stuff.
Then there must be something the server is telling the client to have it handle word wrapping, because mega in our realm isn't doing it.

The Crazy Animal

Have you tried ansi codes to set the video mode to 80x25 color text.

<Esc>[=3h
<Esc>[=3l

From what I've read it might be sent in the handshake like
IAC,DO,ESC[=3h
IAC,DO,ESC[=3l

but i'm not the authority on this soo.

Assuming that megamud is emulating VT100 word wrap might need to be set with the set mode function:

Auto wrap to new line is:
ESC[?7h

Auto wrap off is:
ESC[?7l

might be worth a try, I'd find better info If I knew exactly what term emulation megacrud was doing..

Edit:

I just spotted this one too:

Set terminal to 80 column mode:
ESC[?3h

TCA