List of Current Changes - Please review/comment

Started by Jumpin Jack Flash, Jan 27, 2017, 08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redhawk

Quote from: cytrik on Mar 16, 2017, 05:47 AM
I'm sure that won't get used for any other purpose that might adversely affect gameplay for other users? heh
Heh yea I guess so. Kind of cheeze mode. Then again we have alignment changes and /port commands. Would be just another tool

Greater

Quote from: Vile on Mar 16, 2017, 06:04 PM
This is the fantastic. Keep it up.

Just off the top of my head:

- Hard trainer (seems to be bugged in gmud but it's a flawed concept anyway)
- Ozrinom / Mausoleum is way too hard compared to the other 5th quests
- Regen rooms in vortex (more negate fear items?)
Quote from: Redhawk on Mar 17, 2017, 07:14 AM
Heh yea I guess so. Kind of cheeze mode. Then again we have alignment changes and /port commands. Would be just another tool

The problem with these kinds of requests is that once everybody gets their pet requests in to make the game easier, these changes combined would make the game far too easy. There is nowhere you can die in the game that can't be recovered from. There is no quest or training that is too hard to complete. And yes, the hard trainer works correctly on GMUD now. Go play 1-75 on MajorMUD, then come back to GMUD and see how much easier and more forgiving GMUD already is compared to the real deal.

Structural changes to the game make sense, ie tweaking classes, revamping dead/empty areas, building out weapon selection and spell kits. But nerfing and making easier every little item that each person finds difficult is not a sensible path to take in the long run.

xian

Wait. How do you get to dark elves without talisman/portal

Redhawk

Hah. I hear that @Coarse Horse. Just thinking out loud. You make a good point. Suggestion revoked.

Jumpin Jack Flash

Quote from: Vile on Mar 16, 2017, 06:04 PM

- Hard trainer (seems to be bugged in gmud but it's a flawed concept anyway)
- Ozrinom / Mausoleum is way too hard compared to the other 5th quests
- Regen rooms in vortex (more negate fear items?)
- Some low level room script areas for the poor mages and druids. Leveling them is not fun.

Winterhawk has already devised a quest for a negate fear item.  We have the first part done already. 

All of MOD-9 will also be getting re-worked, we'll take a look at Oz and the Maus.

Already created some good room script areas for low levels, including a couple of small new areas, and some old areas re-worked.

Jumpin Jack Flash

Quote from: xian on Mar 17, 2017, 01:37 PM
Wait. How do you get to dark elves without talisman/portal

In the Black House section of MegaMud paths, there is a "fungus forest, hole to fungus tunnels" path.  Go to the room, go hole, then go to Sleazy Shopkeeper from there....no talisman needed.

Greater

Quote from: Jumpin Jack Flash on Mar 17, 2017, 05:47 PM
All of MOD-9 will also be getting re-worked, we'll take a look at Oz and the Maus.

I hope you guys don't gut the Mausoleum too much! It's one of the only places in the game where even experienced players can feel some anxiety as they travel through for the first time that push. It's certainly harder with Spell Mod, but that difficulty could largely be offset by raising vampire exp values.

The Oz fight can be harrowing, but that is mostly because of how GMUD limits what room spells work on the vampire elders. This might be an interesting area to focus on if you were to change anything about Ozrinom's room. Simply lowering their SpellImmu to allow spirit horde and earthquake to hit them would be a nerf to the boss (and elders in his room) without changing the raw difficulty of the encounter.

There is also something to be said for "legendarily difficult" areas. I see a lot of requests and plans to make things easier, and while I get that, I hope there are still going to be hard areas where expert level players can dwell...especially ones where the exp or item drop rewards match the difficulty!

Jumpin Jack Flash

Quote from: Coarse Horse on Mar 17, 2017, 06:48 PM
I hope you guys don't gut the Mausoleum too much! It's one of the only places in the game where even experienced players can feel some anxiety as they travel through for the first time that push.

There is also something to be said for "legendarily difficult" areas. I see a lot of requests and plans to make things easier, and while I get that, I hope there are still going to be hard areas where expert level players can dwell...especially ones where the exp or item drop rewards match the difficulty!

We have no intention of making any area "easier", especially the whole MOD-9 area.  While we did nerf the "FRAIL" in Blackwood, this was a bit extreme in it's default state.  We didn't get rid of it, just made it a little more realistic and manageable.  Our goal with MOD-9 is to make it more worthwhile to script there, while not reducing the difficulty.  No nerf's to mobs will occur, only an increase in the exp values for some.

Blake

Quote from: Coarse Horse on Mar 17, 2017, 06:48 PM
I hope you guys don't gut the Mausoleum too much! It's one of the only places in the game where even experienced players can feel some anxiety as they travel through for the first time that push. It's certainly harder with Spell Mod, but that difficulty could largely be offset by raising vampire exp values.

The Oz fight can be harrowing, but that is mostly because of how GMUD limits what room spells work on the vampire elders. This might be an interesting area to focus on if you were to change anything about Ozrinom's room. Simply lowering their SpellImmu to allow spirit horde and earthquake to hit them would be a nerf to the boss (and elders in his room) without changing the raw difficulty of the encounter.

I'm going to second CH here on this.  Maus is pretty tough.  I've had a lvl 70 pally rounded in a room or two a couple of times... but I like it. 

Also wait a second - the hard trainer was fixed?

Jumpin Jack Flash

Quote from: Blake on Mar 20, 2017, 09:53 PM
Also wait a second - the hard trainer was fixed?

Apparently this was taken care of awhile ago.  We can verify when we put up a test realm.

Blake

Quote from: Jumpin Jack Flash on Mar 21, 2017, 08:17 AM
Apparently this was taken care of awhile ago.  We can verify when we put up a test realm.

Why don't you verify by agreeing to teleport people out of the room they get stuck in?

This hasn't been fixed.

There's a key

that
does
not
drop

Seriously.

Try to do the quest. 

Winterhawk

The hard trainer does work. I have personally done all 3 paths to completion. There was a problem with the tree/azrandinom boss that was fixed so t works now.The only issue now is the change is bugged and only happens once per day. That's on the list to fix along with some other changes to the area.

Winterhawk

Redhawk

This may have been caught already but I suggest dropping LOTH's regen timer to 24 hours and lowering the XP. I respect that certain bosses fall under people's scripting routes, but right now there's no way to track and get a shot at this guy. A week is too long. There are equally tough bosses (even roamers) in Mod9 with 10x less timers and still good rewards. Tnx for the consideration.

Greater

Quote from: Redhawk on Apr 05, 2017, 02:55 PM
This may have been caught already but I suggest dropping LOTH's regen timer to 24 hours and lowering the XP. I respect that certain bosses fall under people's scripting routes, but right now there's no way to track and get a shot at this guy. A week is too long. There are equally tough bosses (even roamers) in Mod9 with 10x less timers and still good rewards. Tnx for the consideration.

Do you realize how much more dangerous the vortex would be for about 3/4 of the game length with this change? Not a good idea. Script the wastelands if you need to catch his timer.

rote

I kinda like the LOTH being a stressor every day. The black wastelands means you can instantaneously travel very far distances of your choosing with relative ease. I am interested in the 24-hour LOTH not to farm, but to act as the black knight to king arthur's bridge.