October 27, 2021, 06:12:02 pm

Author Topic: Swimming Skill  (Read 3359 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline FuckingHostile

  • Apprentice
  • **
  • Posts: 6
  • Karma: +0/-0
Swimming Skill
« on: May 19, 2006, 11:59:35 pm »
It's a pretty simple idea, but I'm unsure of the difficulty in coding.

Have a swimming skill lvl 1-100. People with low skill will still need a skiff, however, once your skill reaches 100, water is an environment of 2nd nature to you. Example: With a swimming skill of 20, you have an 80% chance to be trounced around by water, and a 20% chance to move through a room successfully without taking drown or rock bashing dmg/being teleported (ie crystal lake).


DeathCow

  • Guest
Re: Swimming Skill
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006, 12:05:10 am »
It wouldn't be a coding issue, just a content issue.  Unless i didnt want to make huge textblocks for every bit'o'water in the realm.

Offline The Crazy Animal

  • Administrator
  • Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2448
  • Karma: +18/-20
Re: Swimming Skill
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2006, 03:20:33 am »
hmm couldn't you just add a room type in to handle it that way the room would just act that way with out the need for big textblocks. You could have like a small list of them to handle common enviro effects such as water, extreme heat, extreme cold, underwater.... each of these types would then act similar but with more effects than a normal type room.

while I would rather see these enviro effects be kept separate from room type for some good old reasons of useability it would make it so we would need to seperate ourselves from past known data standards. This is one of those reasons why someone needs to build a Greatermud editor rather then us having to be stuck on old mmud standards in places we don't need them though.

DeathCow

  • Guest
Re: Swimming Skill
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2006, 03:42:43 am »
I can always use the attribute field for it.

Offline The Crazy Animal

  • Administrator
  • Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2448
  • Karma: +18/-20
Re: Swimming Skill
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2006, 12:30:41 pm »
True, true.... theres always a few ways around an issue. Might want to look into it further if we go the way of epic quests that can change areas around. It would be cool to have a few once off quests like to sink a city and have it change the realm around so it ends up with a sunken city in that area to go swim in if you know what I mean. Or even just starting out with some sunken cities and sunken shoreline villages and stuff. It makes me think of diving for pearls and shipwrecks too.

It might be also be cool to set the swim speed of the user by using a calc based on enc, str, agil too. Maybe have a breath timer based on hea and str.

I get back to this later I guess.

Offline Ian

  • Savant
  • *****
  • Posts: 450
  • Karma: +8/-9
Re: Swimming Skill
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2006, 01:38:11 am »
Ooh, if we're going to have shipwrecks, we need someone to wreck the ships.  Let's introduce a pirate class! 

Seriously though, it could be a circular quest.  Evil sinks the ship, Good goes deep diving and raises/repairs the ship.  Kinda like a contraption quest (good to smash it, evil to rebuilt it).  Don't know where neutral fits in.

But back to the swimming ability... that'd be cool.  Kinda like the water between the oasis and rakshashas (man that's got a lot of a's and s's), with a timer on it before you drown (or start drowning and losing hps.  It kinda sucked the instant death).
If we can hit that bulls-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards.  Check-mate!

Offline ghaleon

  • Adept
  • ****
  • Posts: 172
  • Karma: +0/-2
  • Quicksilver BBS Sysop
    • QuicksilverBBS
Re: Swimming Skill
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2006, 08:49:30 pm »
blue elves =)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 08:51:27 pm by ghaleon »
Free MajorMUD. No Playing Sysops - Quicksilver BBS
Quicksilver BBS
Quicksilver Forums

DeathCow

  • Guest
Re: Swimming Skill
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 12:05:59 am »
blue elves ? :smurf: