Concurrent Gaming

Started by Torque, Aug 31, 2011, 08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Torque

What if.... greatermud was one way to play greatermud.... and a GUI was another way to play the same realm?

Take an example, League of Legends. You play 20-40 minutes sessions, all pvp. Your character on Greatermud would reflect your guy in the GUI game.

---

So you could script textually, and play GUI when you're at the keys. Different play style -- could be more like Diablo or whatever GUI is easy to steal/create.

kalus

Mud is not real time like mmorpgs, I don't think it would translate well.

Vitoc

We actually started heading that route a few years ago with a Silverlight web app that communicated with GMUD through the backdoor API.  We got to the point where you could see your curhp/maxhp, curma/maxma, and curexp/expneeded as bars, and they updated in near real-time but it was only one direction -- you couldn't control your character.  It honestly wouldn't have taken too much more work to allow you to move and communicate or issue other commands.  As far as actual graphics for like mobs/items/rooms to make it feel more like a graphical game, that would have taken a heap of work from a dedicated artist.

Torque

First of all, that's pretty freaking sweet. My ultimate reasoning behind graphics is popularity. Now, updating realtime is cool, but that's if you want GreaterMUD to actually be graphical. The proposition I had was more of a half step -- take true GreaterMUD stats of a character, freeze stats, insert stats into character in GreaterGUI, and play a set amount of time as that character in GUI. Concurrently, your script would be running, but when you're in GUI, there are other options. My example here will be more perpendicular to illustrate the difference of GreaterMUD and GreaterGUI yet how they still work together.
Let's say you hit Start Game on the GUI. Your MUD logon provides your char stats. Then it puts you into a Street Fighter type game. You play a match, and if you win it, it just adds 1000 X Level into your [still running] MUD script. So you can actually play two games at one time. There could be different incentives, such as items, etc. But the basis is simple: make a MUD and a GUI concurrent.

twogirlz

People would invent whole new dimensions of griefing, imagine the fun!

Sounds a bit like a hybrid version of: http://progressquest.com/

Thesifer

When GreaterMUD moves open source, maybe someone will work on plugins / additions for it.  It's not as if the project will ever make money, might as well be open so it can at least be finished.