Builders

Started by Shriop, May 30, 2009, 01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shriop

I'd like to see NPC builders in the game that can be seen working on an area and slowly add on to an area using some form of random or AI logic. I think it would be interesting to have new areas to explore without having to wait for an official addon.

There could also be an op role called builder that would allow for that op to generate new areas.

Trios

An op role would be pretty cool. I know I've seen MUDs in the past where ops are able to create new rooms and then edit descriptions and such. I don't think AI would be a very good way to do it, though; the maps in MMUD are not linear, though they match up more often than not. The AI wouldn't be able to match up, so you might end up with a huge 'cavern' where Silvermere is, or a new city on top of a lake, etc. Best to leave such things to intelligent design.

The Crazy Animal

Quote from: Shriop on May 30, 2009, 01:46 PM
I'd like to see NPC builders in the game that can be seen working on an area and slowly add on to an area using some form of random or AI logic. I think it would be interesting to have new areas to explore without having to wait for an official addon.

There could also be an op role called builder that would allow for that op to generate new areas.

We've been tossing this type of idea around for a while and really its one of the ideas that I really want to push for. Though for it to really work there needs to be some better data management put into the game engine to really make it manage able and a few other road blocks to move around.

My version of it was to use maze building algorithms and some basic walk instructions and then to have one map and one seed portal per area as a starting point for each self building area. Each area would then be given population and resource statistics to help populate the areas with mobs and prop items. Towns and shops and NPCs would then be seeded via quests completed by player interaction. The base difficulty of areas would be based on the distance from the seed portal. secondary portals would spawn as new towns were created.

The other major road block to this right now is how the content is actually programed though everything from dialog to room descriptions is currently hand made and inputted as singular instances. So for it to really work well content would need to be modularized to the point where it could self assemble to make new descriptions and dialogs if these areas were to be anything more then script spots.

Mob's would also need to go through some basic changes to make them more compatible with this type of system. Since currently they are treated as unique instances as well. So I would push to make them use at least a basic leveled difficulty system for all mobs so that they may be re-used across these areas. And hostile areas could be spawned with some control over their difficulty in a logical fashion. Similarly their attacks methods would need to be upgraded to work along these methods.

This is very much though a version 2 or later idea though as Vitoc and I would call it since there's a lot of leg would that would have to be done first to prepare the game for this type of change over.