GreaterMUD Wiki

Started by Locke Cole, May 28, 2006, 09:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Locke Cole

The GreaterMUD Wiki is live. Hopefully it'll be a better place to document, categorize and hash out ideas for GMUD. Once the game has it's own content, it'll also be a good place to document that as well. (And of course if this is released for other sysops to run, it could serve as a repository for server documentation). You can sign up now at:

http://www.greatermud.com/wiki/

Anonymous users may not edit, but logged in users may make new pages or edit most existing pages.

If you're unfamiliar with what a wiki is, read this article on Wikipedia.

The Crazy Animal

The Crazy Animal

We need some way to tell what ideas are ok to put up and what ideas aren't there yet maybe some of the ops could edit posts that are ok to put up and add [WIKI Approved] to the title. Anyway Just a passing thought..

Locke Cole

Quote from: The Crazy Animal on May 29, 2006, 02:52 PMWe need some way to tell what ideas are ok to put up and what ideas aren't there yet maybe some of the ops could edit posts that are ok to put up and add [WIKI Approved] to the title. Anyway Just a passing thought..

I know DC had some reservations about posting ideas directly to the wiki, but this is what I think we should do. If an idea is just awful or stupid ("OMG Bong Hammer" as a page name) we can delete it. For serious ideas that don't work out, we can categorize them into a rejected ideas category.

But by putting them on the wiki first we can invite other people to improve upon it directly (whereas with a forum we end up responding back and forth, but no cohesive version of the idea is available without reading all the responses (or without someone manually keeping the initial idea updated)).

If you want to be careful initially, just copy some of the better ideas you approve of to the wiki, link them from Idea:Ideas, and go from there. If we come to a point where ideas on the wiki are overwhelming people, we can take a look at what the problems are and work from there.

The Crazy Animal

The other idea I thought about for this was that we could add a child board onto the idea forum marked approved ideas and then just stick moved messages in there. Then from there anyone that was intrested in helping could create them up to the wiki page.

At the moment I'm more interested in getting the ideas we already like up there then putting to many new ideas up unless they are really good. Once we have the bulk of the accepted ideas up there it will give us a better idea of the overall direction of the project. Plus we can then start to flush things out a little. As many of the ideas on the forum have just been left as posted.

meowser

Nice I love the Wiki Idea.
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserve body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, "HOLY SHIT!! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Bong

Quote from: Locke Cole on May 30, 2006, 01:16 AM
I know DC had some reservations about posting ideas directly to the wiki, but this is what I think we should do. If an idea is just awful or stupid ("OMG Bong Hammer" as a page name) we can delete it. For serious ideas that don't work out, we can categorize them into a rejected ideas category.

Hey buddy, what the hell you trying to say?

The Crazy Animal

lol whats up bong haven't seen you around in a long while :)

Bong

Yeah, modded my PS2 so been playing that when I'm not working. Had actually forgot about GMud for a bit, 'till I came across a link here from "Boink Machine", where I had randomly stopped during a morning of bad-day websurfing. Was thinking of re-installing the ol' Megamud, but have been able to resist the urge. :P

Secret

I think the wiki is gone.

The Crazy Animal

Well its not really gone but we transfered the hosting of the forums over to one of vitocs machines and with that we needed to transfer the DNS too. We just haven't gotten it together to transfer the wiki stuff over so its useable again.

Vitoc

Quote from: The Crazy Animal on Mar 06, 2008, 03:58 PM
Well its not really gone but we transfered the hosting of the forums over to one of vitocs machines and with that we needed to transfer the DNS too. We just haven't gotten it together to transfer the wiki stuff over so its useable again.
I've got a lot on my plate with the forums, gmud, and all the SilverLight stuff I'm about to embark on so if someone else has a static IP and wants to host the Wiki I'll point wiki.greatermud.com at your IP.  I have the data from the old wiki backed up.  If anyone is interested please let me know.

The Crazy Animal

Nod Nod that too....

Raybdbomb

What kinda info did it have?  Anything worthy of bringing back?

The Crazy Animal

It had for the most part more finished copies of the rough ideas that were in the idea forum. It still was kind of messy though and needed a fair bit of work to make it really presentable.. Most of it was geared towards DC's custom content though which has been in a holding pattern for a while. And ideas geared towards version 2 of the engine.