Race alignments?

Started by Hasrobcu, May 29, 2006, 09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hasrobcu

I didn't see anyone posting about this, but it's something I thought of while playing so I figured I would share? ;D. The game should have it so that you are automatically aligned with others of your race. Not necessarily other players, but npcs and monsters.

Ex: With elves, if you create a race of wood-elves, then you are automatically friendly with them, unless you are evil. Otherwise, they definitely won't attack you. If, however, you are a dwarf, even if you are good, they attack you, unless travelling in a group with an elf.? And, you know on the descriptions how it'll sometimes say "nasty elf"? Well, what if they automatically attack good users, but not evil?

I don't even know if it's possible, but I figured it would add an interesting twist to the game, and make you have to pay more attention to races and what-not.

Great game so far though, it's about time someone did something to have an actively created mud again!? :P

The Crazy Animal

I like ideas like this, anything that adds overlaying complexity to the sociological perspective of game dynamics  is good to go with me. I made some posts about setting up faction alignments and doing something like this a while ago that way but it didn't seem to get much interest though.

Hasrobcu

Quote from: The Crazy Animal on May 29, 2006, 09:37 PM
I like ideas like this, anything that adds overlaying complexity to the sociological perspective of game dynamics? is good to go with me. I made some posts about setting up faction alignments and doing something like this a while ago that way but it didn't seem to get much interest though.

Yeah I saw that post, but for some reason it really confused me even though I know what a faction is. I think I read a paragraph, skimmed after that and was lost  :D Might be why there wasn't much of a respone  :P

The Crazy Animal

Grin could be it was kinda a tech post aimed at the coder side rather then the player side.

Valentine

Maybe it didn't make sense because of the fraction fiasco ;). Good times...

Anyway, I like this idea (as I said on the other post) and it ties into a couple of things I've been thinking about for a couple of days.

The first is information you can obtain from races that are the same as yours. An elven char would naturally have a greater rapport with an elven NPC than a dwarf. This could be useful in encouraging parties as well as leading to race-specific quests.

The second is language barriers. While it stands to reason that the majority of NPCs would speak Common, perhaps certain NPCs would not. Since I love my elves, I'll pick on them some more :) : An elven/half-elven char would be able to communicate with an elven NPC that does not speak Common. ?Another race would have to hire an interpreter or party with an elf.

Edited because alf and elf are not interchangeable.
"...There was always a minority afraid of something, and a great majority afraid of the dark, afraid of the future, afraid of the past, afraid of the present, afraid of themselves and shadows of themselves..." --Ray Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles

The Crazy Animal

Quote from: Valentine on May 29, 2006, 10:03 PM
Maybe it didn't make sense because of the fraction fiasco ;). Good times...

Anyway, I like this idea (as I said on the other post) and it ties into a couple of things I've been thinking about for a couple of days.

The first is information you can obtain from races that are the same as yours. An elven char would naturally have a greater rapport with an elven NPC than a dwarf. This could be useful in encouraging parties as well as leading to race-specific quests.

The second is language barriers. While it stands to reason that the majority of NPCs would speak Common, perhaps certain NPCs would not. Since I love my elves, I'll pick on them some more :) : An elven/half-elven char would be able to communicate with an elven NPC that does not speak Common. ?Another race would have to hire an interpreter or party with an alf.

I fixed all the fiasco word mistakes from those posts that day though.

I like the idea of language but with out a skill system I can't see it working out that well for this game. MMud basicly just assumed that everyone spoke a common language I can't say if it was good or bad for the game though. 

I would like to see there be differing versions of info given to players of different races that could be kind of interesting. I think I posted somewhere about doing stuff like that in a different dialog engine too but I can't remember the exacts of it.

Valentine

I know you fixed it, I was just giving you a hard time :)

While languages as a skill set would also be pretty nifty, I don't think it has to be a skill set. Most NPCs would speak common, but they wouldn't have to. All PCs would speak common, but would also have certain other innate languages based on race which would allow them to speak with those NPCs of the same race who do not speak Common (quest or area-specific).

Obviously, the test output would not be in a foreign tongue, but could be indicated with the simple preface of "Joe answers you in your native tongue..."

It would be neat to be able to purchase training to learn another language...maybe have one or two slots available to learn extra languages, or have the number of languages you are able to learn based on Int and race. Even certain classes could add a slot for language (bards, for instance).

Edited because typing is hard.
"...There was always a minority afraid of something, and a great majority afraid of the dark, afraid of the future, afraid of the past, afraid of the present, afraid of themselves and shadows of themselves..." --Ray Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles

The Crazy Animal

Quote from: Valentine on May 29, 2006, 10:21 PM
I know you fixed it, I was just giving you a hard time :)

While languages as a skill set would also be pretty nifty, I don't think it has to be a skill set. Most NPCs would speak common, but they wouldn't have to. All PCs would speak common, but would also have certain other innate languages based on race which would allow them to speak with those NPCs of the same race who do not speak Common (quest or area-specific).

Obviously, the test output would not be in a foreign tongue, but could be indicated with the simple preface of "Joe answers you in your native tongue..."

I know your just messing with me... Grin you know there's a nice grammatical error on the main forum page right., I know how much you love them.

I can see how that would work as long as it was kept out of major quests otherwise there would need to be some way for any player to pick up a new language. That probably could also be done with ability flags but that can get kind of sloppy.

Valentine

I assume you are referring to this:

QuoteThought of something thats missing? Is a monster to powerful? Let me know.

Oh the pain it causes me....  ;D

Eh, it happens. Not even I am grammatically perfect. It's easier to proofread than to get it right in the first place!

The Crazy Animal

Quote from: Valentine on May 29, 2006, 10:59 PM
I assume you are referring to this:

QuoteThought of something thats missing? Is a monster to powerful? Let me know.

Oh the pain it causes me....? ;D

Eh, it happens. Not even I am grammatically perfect. It's easier to proofread than to get it right in the first place!

;D Ya, I was surprised that you didn't say anything about it I figured if anyone here noticed it, it would be you.

aukey

I also like the idea of having limited quest items that have Badattk on them, like in majormud the kobold king drops a ton of iron crowns, I made the crown have Badattk on, so that all kobolds wont attack the person wearing the kobold king's crown.

I was making a black orc vs red orc quest where you join either side. And you get  that side's  orc flag item. The flag has badattk on it so that type of orc won't attack you unless attacked first.
-Aukey

DeathCow

Badattack is used on monsters not items,  but I get the idea.  I'll get around to doing something similar when we get to that point.  Factions is a long ways in the future.

Mukami

QuoteI don't even know if it's possible, but I figured it would add an interesting twist to the game, and make you have to pay more attention to races and what-not.

as an avid scattered brained drunk mudder i would like to say that im against this because i like having to pay as little attention to mud as possible. especially while running thru towns or doing something rather mundane like that.

The Crazy Animal

Quote from: Mukami on Jun 28, 2006, 11:42 PM
QuoteI don't even know if it's possible, but I figured it would add an interesting twist to the game, and make you have to pay more attention to races and what-not.

as an avid scattered brained drunk mudder i would like to say that im against this because i like having to pay as little attention to mud as possible. especially while running thru towns or doing something rather mundane like that.

I'm more for faction level alignment modifications but If something like this got into the game it would one of those things that would only have a small effect on things like race relations on quests. If you were and elf and asked a elf something they might tell you more information then they would if you were any other race. At most I couldn't see it going much further then giving temp hiden eps maybe so say if you were bottom end of seedy they might treat you like an outlaw if your not of their race. However, If you were of their race then they might treat you a little better like seedy might get treated more like a neutral character. I think it would disrupt the flow of the game though if they just responded violently to anyone not of their race comming into the area.

Even though I'm saying all that I have no clue if something like this would even get into the game.