Kings and Queens

Started by Torque, Apr 07, 2012, 01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Torque

I was rambling on another post about having unique players (http://www.greatermud.com/forums/index.php?topic=3981.msg18334;topicseen#msg18334) and I ran into having a political system on top of that.

I think to add a new suspense to GreaterMUD would be to create electable (and appointed) positions. All of these positions would have a unique bonus and therefore you would want to have, regardless if you wanted to actually perform the job description well.

King and Queen - They really have the final say. An heir will be made king after X days. Creates boss runs, gets rich quicker, overturns nonmajority polls. Makes some decisions. King trumps the Queen. 
King's Hand - Gets missions per the King, and is responsible for running an outpost. This outpost is coveted because it has a great script area and would be VERY difficult to be killed via script hitting
Court Priest - Determines who becomes Lawful. The priest will be Lawful himself and can not fight for the Court (pvp).

-----------------
These positions anyone can have, but they have to create content and therefore work for it. You have to be the appropriate class. Your position will be elected to you by the realm based on realism and effectiveness of your content. No boomsticks here.

Jester - This guy is responsible for creating Lore or storyline. Anyone can be a Jester, but you have to be a bard, and you have to actually write and be elected Jester by the realm.
Court Wizard - Mage. Content creation for spells, any mage-type.
Blacksmith - Warrior or Witchy. Same thing for mundane armor and weapons.
Alchemist - Should be a new class, had him doing potions, but that could be thrown in with another type

------------------------

Also there could be and evil kingdom. That would create two ultimate "gangs" in the realm and force competition (and backstabbery!) This evil kingdom could be a mirror of Silvermere, Goldenmire. Out in the Misty Valley. Man that would be a lot of alignment overhaul/work.

BONUSES/RESTRICTIONS:
King/Q: Realm total wealth *.10 per day added to bank account, aforementioned political powers, 99% miss on backstabbing him, sweet ass prefix (King Torque), gear becomes loyal while king
Hand: health regen +50, +25 mana regen, +100 hp, can not attack other appointees, Lawful
Priest: Lawful, +50 mana regen, +20 mres

Jester: +20 charm, +10 hp regen, +3 max damage, +10 bs acc, a loyal "Court Jester Main-Gauche" that hasn't been created yet
Smith: +10 strength, +40 hp regen
Wiz: +10 int/wis, +20 mana regen, +10 bs ac

Edit: The main point of this post is not specifics, but rather creating a platform for a political system, and having it shaped to look gooder.

Zetetic

This is an interesting idea, one that deserves a bit of discussion. First I would change it so that there is only a King or a Queen, not both (and no hierarchy, female characters should have as much rights as males in the game). The problem that I see at the moment is that your idea is somewhat of a tacked on system, that does not create a real power struggle, and does not really fit the 'feel' of Major/Greater mud.

Can I suggest this alteration of the idea;

Gangs are treated as members of a parliament. The game creates situations that need to be voted on that will create an effect to last the coming week. You could perhaps have a war with the Dark Elves, requiring x amount of Dark Elves and the Queen to be killed, but make the queen and dark elves x3 or x5 all stats for the duration of the week (basically set up new monsters that spawn for this duration). If the realm is successful then the gangs that voted yes all receive a bonus (cash or exp, maybe items). The gangs that vote no will try and prevent it and attack Silvermere, along with Dark Elf troops. Maybe instead the objective for those that vote yes is just to kill the queen, and the objective for those that vote no is to protect her, each side will gain if they win. There could be a trade pact with another City so that people can run trade runs for gold from say the Nekojin village to Silvermere. Plenty of options here, those are just spur of the moment ideas.

Hmmm this is starting to sound like a whole content pack in and of itself.

You make the King/Queen decided more or less at random to start with. On a PVP realm make it that whoever kills the monarch becomes the monarch, and the advantage to the monarch is that they gain double exp from monsters, or possibly double the money drops from monsters in the rooms they are in (I want them out there scripting and hunted to the ends of the earth). Also make the monarch able to give out a reward for completing the parliament voted in quest/event once it is completed. Perhaps this would be an effective way to give out GJRs? One given out per week. Each GJR can only be given to someone who completed the voted in quest/event.

The real problem with this whole idea is the amount of work it would require to get in to place. Still, this is a place for ideas that may improve the game, not discussions of why we don't have the manpower to get it in to the game.

The entire idea of a political system should be to create conflict, backstabbing and regicide.

Thoughts and ideas anyone?