Couple of quick thoughts while i was passing through.

Started by Kyp Algo, Jan 03, 2006, 10:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyp Algo

Ok, I got ideas i'll jot down as I think of them.

1.  To increase the value of priests, and druids possibly.
      -When someone drops and is aided, have them not gain hps back, but rather stay in a "stasis"  until healed by a priest or a high druid.  Any priest spell could heal up a mortally wounded person.  As for druids, give them a spell at high level that heals as much as mahe and is able to work on mortally wounded people.  make mend be able to be used on mortal people.
     Reason for this idea is that it will cause more people to be at keys, and will also add more value to priests, and give higher level druids something to look foward too.  In addition it will give druids some more party value since they don't have alot right now.

2.  With paladins, and missionaries, and maybe clerics.
       -Whenever they cast a healing spell, if they fail, they actually harm the person for that much damage.  clerics and missionaries are quite adept with spells, so this may not occur as much with them, but with paladins, it is more likely to occur, and since missy and cleric cannot get a better spell then grhe, and paladin cant top mahe, it would't do that much to a person, but in a dire siutation, a mortally wounded person would have a difficult choice to make about having either a paladin in party try to heal, or try to bring them to a priest.  Priests, being able to focus their energies more, would not be affected by this.

3.  Ninjas and mystics.
      -IMO these both need something more.   with ninjas, make ninja only weapons have things worth using, it can be either more crits by alot so they crit like mad compared to anything else, or adding to abilties and things like this, because right now, look at any ninja in your realm above level 65, are they using a ninja only weapon? most likely not.
    -as for mystics, make combat oriented staves for them to twirl around and stuff to the same token.  other then just ju punch and kick let there be a few weapons for them to use that have good damage.  also could do something along the lines of perhaps a magical bladed staves for the whole slashing damage compared to bashing damage of normal staves.  but leave other weapons martial artists use (sai's katanas etc) to ninjas.

Gangs
    -First off, maybe change them to guilds instead of Gangs?  just a personal preference.
    -Give a leader the ability to give up leadership to someone other then him/herself.
    -Make multiple titles to promote to and let them each do different things.  Commander/ensign/cadet etc.
    -Instead of gang houses, maybe castles?  also offer that if you trek out to a gang house, you can teleport to major citys.  have a teleportation room in each ganghouse, or perhaps make it a gift of the biggest ones.  but say you can teleport same as sys gotos.  if you have black house right now for example, its a hike to get there.  maybe make it so you can buy a talisman from person in room to keep it balanced, and only has one use, and del@maint?
     -Also make it so it checks other banks and money on the person itself.  If the person doesnt have funds give them X amount of time(sysop configurable) to actually get the money for it, make certain stages for however long you dont pay, say at first tax collectors accompanied by bounty hunters come for the cash.  then its random jail time, then they start to take your items and flush them, then you lose house. 
     -To avoid clutter, have gatekeepers, where you get a mark (simular to one guildmaster gives you for first good quest) and if you ask gatekeeper entry, they just let you in and you will have to ask gatekeeper exit to get out.  if someone other then a gangmember tries to, guards are summoned, and if you are defeated by guards, you are thrown into the gang/guild houses/castles jail until the guild leader releases you, or if not a certain time passes(again sysop configurable)  same for vault, but only ones of certain ranking could enter the vault. 
    if you are going to have charming monsters work again, have a nest in guildhouses, where charmers can store animals if they are going on a boss run and don't want to bring them along.  make sure that a monster can only be brought back out by their master, and after a certain period of time, the monster will be released if not gotten(sysop configurable)

I'll stop here for now, if i think of more later i'll post in this thread.

DeathCow

Quote from: Kyp Algo on Jan 03, 2006, 10:10 AM
Ok, I got ideas i'll jot down as I think of them.

1. To increase the value of priests, and druids possibly.
-When someone drops and is aided, have them not gain hps back, but rather stay in a "stasis" until healed by a priest or a high druid. Any priest spell could heal up a mortally wounded person. As for druids, give them a spell at high level that heals as much as mahe and is able to work on mortally wounded people. make mend be able to be used on mortal people.
Reason for this idea is that it will cause more people to be at keys, and will also add more value to priests, and give higher level druids something to look foward too. In addition it will give druids some more party value since they don't have alot right now.
Not that priests and druids don't already have alot of worth, but it is an interesting idea.  Although it maybe best if this was an added feature rather than a change in the system.  Meaning that if death is set to -15, then players can heal like normal when aided.  Below -15 the player dies and their gear is scattered but maybe make them use a command to return to the spawn point.  At this point priests and druids could cast a rez spell of some kind.

Quote2. With paladins, and missionaries, and maybe clerics.
-Whenever they cast a healing spell, if they fail, they actually harm the person for that much damage. clerics and missionaries are quite adept with spells, so this may not occur as much with them, but with paladins, it is more likely to occur, and since missy and cleric cannot get a better spell then grhe, and paladin cant top mahe, it would't do that much to a person, but in a dire siutation, a mortally wounded person would have a difficult choice to make about having either a paladin in party try to heal, or try to bring them to a priest. Priests, being able to focus their energies more, would not be affected by this.
Wow, now thats a new idea.  I don't know that I personally care for the idea though.  It seems rather nerf sticky to me.  I'd like to avoid the nerf stick as much as possible.  It is an interesting concept however.  I can see using it as a way to expand spell casting for priest-1 priest-2 spell casters.  Maybe giving them the ability to pick up certain higher level healing spells but also making them a risk to cast.

Quote3. Ninjas and mystics.
-IMO these both need something more. with ninjas, make ninja only weapons have things worth using, it can be either more crits by alot so they crit like mad compared to anything else, or adding to abilties and things like this, because right now, look at any ninja in your realm above level 65, are they using a ninja only weapon? most likely not.
I'm not going to be copying the items found in majormud.  So for the most part I'll be considering what each class needs as I go into making unique items for each of them.  Melee classes all seem to be very similar in what they end up doing after levcel 65, and thats something I don't care for.
Quote-as for mystics, make combat oriented staves for them to twirl around and stuff to the same token. other then just ju punch and kick let there be a few weapons for them to use that have good damage. also could do something along the lines of perhaps a magical bladed staves for the whole slashing damage compared to bashing damage of normal staves. but leave other weapons martial artists use (sai's katanas etc) to ninjas.
There will be things added in to make mystics more customizable.  When I played mystics I found it rather boring to simly ju for 60+ levels.  So adding content for them is on the list.  Exactly what form it will take is up in the air, but weapons that they can use that will be comparable with their other forms of combat is an idea that has been discussed.

Gangs
-First off, maybe change them to guilds instead of Gangs? just a personal preference.
-Give a leader the ability to give up leadership to someone other then him/herself.
-Make multiple titles to promote to and let them each do different things. Commander/ensign/cadet etc.
-Instead of gang houses, maybe castles? also offer that if you trek out to a gang house, you can teleport to major citys. have a teleportation room in each ganghouse, or perhaps make it a gift of the biggest ones. but say you can teleport same as sys gotos. if you have black house right now for example, its a hike to get there. maybe make it so you can buy a talisman from person in room to keep it balanced, and only has one use, and del@maint?
-Also make it so it checks other banks and money on the person itself. If the person doesnt have funds give them X amount of time(sysop configurable) to actually get the money for it, make certain stages for however long you dont pay, say at first tax collectors accompanied by bounty hunters come for the cash. then its random jail time, then they start to take your items and flush them, then you lose house.
-To avoid clutter, have gatekeepers, where you get a mark (simular to one guildmaster gives you for first good quest) and if you ask gatekeeper entry, they just let you in and you will have to ask gatekeeper exit to get out. if someone other then a gangmember tries to, guards are summoned, and if you are defeated by guards, you are thrown into the gang/guild houses/castles jail until the guild leader releases you, or if not a certain time passes(again sysop configurable) same for vault, but only ones of certain ranking could enter the vault.
if you are going to have charming monsters work again, have a nest in guildhouses, where charmers can store animals if they are going on a boss run and don't want to bring them along. make sure that a monster can only be brought back out by their master, and after a certain period of time, the monster will be released if not gotten(sysop configurable)
Gang houses are crappy in majormud and we are going to handle them in a completely different fashion.  Gang houses can come in different forums, and will be all over the place.  In this game there isnt just 1 major central city, so movement around the realm is something we are already going to have to consider.  Players need access to one another and even at low levels they should be able to group up and play together.

Charming and summoning is going to be completely reworked.  I don't know that I can allow players to store monsters however.  Without completely revisiting the idea, which I'll do here in a momment, I'm gonna have to say there is too much room for abuse if players can store monsters, although it might be a nice idea to make a sort of zoo :p.
I'll stop here for now, if i think of more later i'll post in this thread.
Please do, we appreicate the ideas.

Kyp Algo

Ok lets see what else I can come up with.

Class idea - Enchanter

This class came about almost by mistake by a rogue mage who loved weapons.  Thought mad by the magi clans of lore what he did was essentially take weapons, armor, and other things and studied a brand of magic that would improve and enhance the performance of the equipment.  Thought to be long forgotten in the river of time, his studies recently were found and started becoming main stream. Now a commonplace to see among war parties, this brand of warriors has limitless potential.

EXP:  185%
Combat - 3
Hp/level 4-7
Weapon - Any
Armor - Any
Magic Enhancement

This class idea is basicly a class between a warrior and a bard.  Figured that different from bards, instead of increasing stats directly, they could increase their own abilities directly.  Also unlike bards, they can only cast these on themselves if they have someting of that item class equipped and not to others.

possible ideas for spells (keeping all of the names as "lore of <blah>"  for simplicity sake)

Lore of Sharpening
Cast on weapons that are "Bladed"
Level 10
Mana 8
No idea about duration
Description - This spell sharpens blades by applying heat to the blade for a short period of time.

Stats - Max Damage+2 MinDamage+2 Crits+2

Lore of Deflection.
Cast on "shields"
Level 25
Mana - 23
Description.  This spell temporarly uses magic to make a shield lighter in weight making it easier to manuever and deflect blows from any opponent.  But also throws one off balance slightly.

Stats - ShieldWeight -15%  DR+5 AC-5

Lore of Swiftness.
Cast on "Boots"
Level 19
Mana - 16
Description - This spell, when cast on ones footwear, makes their boots fit alot better for more nimble movement.

Stats - No slower movement if heavy(like brown leather boots)  and Stealth +15 (only applies if you have racial stealth as there is no stealth with this class.

Just a few brief things to throw out for this idea of a class.

DeathCow

Quote from: Kyp Algo on Jan 03, 2006, 12:20 PM
Ok lets see what else I can come up with.

Class idea - Enchanter

This class came about almost by mistake by a rogue mage who loved weapons. Thought mad by the magi clans of lore what he did was essentially take weapons, armor, and other things and studied a brand of magic that would improve and enhance the performance of the equipment. Thought to be long forgotten in the river of time, his studies recently were found and started becoming main stream. Now a commonplace to see among war parties, this brand of warriors has limitless potential.

EXP: 185%
Combat - 3
Hp/level 4-7
Weapon - Any
Armor - Any
Magic Enhancement

This class idea is basicly a class between a warrior and a bard. Figured that different from bards, instead of increasing stats directly, they could increase their own abilities directly. Also unlike bards, they can only cast these on themselves if they have someting of that item class equipped and not to others.

possible ideas for spells (keeping all of the names as "lore of <blah>" for simplicity sake)

Lore of Sharpening
Cast on weapons that are "Bladed"
Level 10
Mana 8
No idea about duration
Description - This spell sharpens blades by applying heat to the blade for a short period of time.

Stats - Max Damage+2 MinDamage+2 Crits+2

Lore of Deflection.
Cast on "shields"
Level 25
Mana - 23
Description. This spell temporarly uses magic to make a shield lighter in weight making it easier to manuever and deflect blows from any opponent. But also throws one off balance slightly.

Stats - ShieldWeight -15% DR+5 AC-5

Lore of Swiftness.
Cast on "Boots"
Level 19
Mana - 16
Description - This spell, when cast on ones footwear, makes their boots fit alot better for more nimble movement.

Stats - No slower movement if heavy(like brown leather boots) and Stealth +15 (only applies if you have racial stealth as there is no stealth with this class.

Just a few brief things to throw out for this idea of a class.

I hadnt actually thought of anything like this in a while because we'd never have got the coding done to make it worth developing in majormud.  We'd have to make it do something so it isnt just a ninja or a warrior that requires casting spells to be at full power though.  Maybe make its spells difficult to get, and also give it basic magical abilities such as attack spells and such.  If you have succeeded in getting all of the extremely difficult spells then you can be very powerful, but if you havent you'll be only average power with a diverse chunck of spells and abilities.