Weapon Mastery/Weapon Proficiency

Started by SluTFisHy, Jan 07, 2010, 01:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SluTFisHy

I dont understand how the plate class and warrior classes are overpowered in anyway.

Personally, other then greater mud, in normal mud. Plate wearers have never been overpowered to me.

at least when it comes to PVP.

And two, it only makes sense for a "combat fighter" to be specialized in more weapons then a spellcaster type.

Kind of common sense there.

But in all actuality it does not make a difference to me, I like the idea however it's pieced together.

Listen peeps, *I INSULT PEOPLE*, thats what I do.

So when I respond to a forum, I insult people equally, I dont descriminate.

It's just me adding salt and pepper to a conversation.

Don't take anything to heart. Nubs.

SluTFisHy

And by the way, this was also a discussion for spellcasters to "specialize" in spells also.

instead of +10 max damage they can get +10% to spell damage or more.

kind of makes more sense that way. spellcasters will obviously have a seperate proficiency system. basing it off their
spell caster type "mage 3"

no spellcaster typically uses more then 3 combat spells at any certain level anyway. Usually the higher level you get, you stop using spells and move to the higher level ones.

Gardner Denver

Quote from: SluTFisHy on Jan 10, 2010, 02:09 AM
I dont understand how the plate class and warrior classes are overpowered in anyway.

Personally, other then greater mud, in normal mud. Plate wearers have never been overpowered to me.

at least when it comes to PVP.

And two, it only makes sense for a "combat fighter" to be specialized in more weapons then a spellcaster type.

Kind of common sense there.

But in all actuality it does not make a difference to me, I like the idea however it's pieced together.

I didn't say spellcasters, I said stealth classes.  I would also point out that mystics, which are also on the high side of overpowered, would be the first to master their "end game" weapon since it is always their feet past level oh.. 20ish.

The Crazy Animal

I personally don't see a reason to limit how many weapons you can master. Lets face the big fact of any weapon you do master will take time and effort to master. And with the current level dead-ends and methods of picking weapons that are best for your current level bracket. Chances are that you will only fully master 1 or 2 weapons and then have a handful more that you have become fairly proficient in.

It's going to be that way with any character that does swing a weapon. And in the natural order of play characters that rely less on their weapons for kills will automaticly have less weapons that they fully master.

As for mystics I have other ideas for them and don't plan on counting their hands and feet as actual weapons.

SluTFisHy

The mystics feet are not a weapon Item.

Mystics feet are alreay mastered they should not be able to get a weapon proficiency on them obviously since
mystics foot damage constantly goes up anyway.

The Crazy Animal

Quote from: SluTFisHy on Jan 11, 2010, 09:18 PM

Mystics feet are alreay mastered they should not be able to get a weapon proficiency on them obviously since

I do think they should be able to get proficiencies in the weapons they can eq like staffs and daggers. Just not in body parts.

The Crazy Animal

Quote from: Gardner Denver on Jan 12, 2010, 09:19 AM
Hater

LOL can't say I'm hating I'd just much rather see their martial arts abilities be revamped then bend them to work with a system that isn't really developed for their type of combat.

DeathCow

The concept is fine, the numbers require some tuning.  720 combat rounds per/hr.  At that rate you'd simply be a master the next morning after each of the what 5..6 times you change weapons in your character's life?  Maybe something more like 20,000+(MinLVL*2,000).  It also might be worthwhile to make certain boss fights increase your weapon skill more than a regular fight, or even require X boss kills to achieve certain levels of proficiency.

Another concept maybe using the exp aquired with the weapon equiped.  Take the min lvl of the item and the players chart a base chart, or maybe even n inverted chart and require 2 levels of exp per level of proficiency.

Thergin

I felt in reg mud that there was a new weapon equiped disadvantage maybe that was not real.

I like this idea if you make it more simple, that you just get better using the current weapon, and it doesnt take very long to make it for a small bonus, as you get better with that 1 weapon, you loose the bonus from the previous weapon.

So its just a bonus for what ever weapon u have on at the time, and if u switch you start to remove the bonus and apply it to the next one.

The Crazy Animal

Feel bad that I let this topic die down.

Under the system I'm working on you would only get a portion of the exp from a kill so your able to deal with those larger exp/hr rates. It's a level based system so you get small bonuses all the way up the advancement tree it's done that way so players can watch their characters grow. Each weapon type would have its base exp difficulty ie percentage of the kill earned and a individual micro balance exp difficulty. I definitely agree the numbers need to be looked at though. Part of it is focuses heavily on finding a way to create a reason for the different attack messages like slash vs thrust and allow the different types attacks to have varying effects on speed, accuracy, energy use, and damage. Rather then relying on random rolls I'd like to enable players to create their own attack patterns so they might be better able to personalize their character based on what they think is the best attack strategy. such as the differences between slash, slash, thrust vs slash, cleave, thrust vs set random default. It's always seemed to be you have two types of mmuders ones that like the ability to tweak their characters and try to perfect their strategy and those who just enjoy the ease of hack and slash basics. The idea needs to satisfy both types of players.

Secondary topic

I'm thinking about adding in a quest system for the non-magic users to it that would let you spend off some of those excess cps points for more specialized combat training you could call this combat proficiency. These would be under a system of combat move points to give them a limited construct similar to how mana regulates magic use and keeps it's usage fair. It's moves would be specialized to the class and cover the 4 non-magic classes witchunters, warriors, ninjas, and thieves. It would work of of the higher the combat the more cm points the class gets. It would be balanced on the higher combat maneuvers using more points though.

I can't remember who told me of the idea originally but it's somewhere in this idea section that he played a game where you had combat stances. I liked the idea but didn't really have a use for it. So one part of this would be different stances would enhance different combat aspects like defense or attack or dodge or critting . I'm also looking at it as a means to pull of the fair and balanced way to have things like circle attacks and mid-round back-stabs. While keeping it fair so that their use doesn't dominate the game.

One of the areas I'd really like to give thought to in pulling this off is the ability to add combat skills for the odd-ball characters that generally lose out. Like halfling warriors, witchunters or neko warriors, and witchunters... There is very little content that treats them from the perspective of their strange skill bases and I see this as a way to make those strange combos more play-able too.

I also see this if it happens early enough of the game as a way to slow players from hitting their stat maxes at least in these 4 classes. and will be looking at ways to implement similar magical proficiency for the other classes.

pentagruel

Quote from: SluTFisHy on Jan 11, 2010, 09:18 PM

The above is false.  A mystics feet damage does not improve with levels.  It only improves with items or stats.

The Crazy Animal

Quote from: pentagruel on Sep 20, 2010, 01:09 PM
The above is false.  A mystics feet damage does not improve with levels.  It only improves with items or stats.

It improves through CP usage.. Which are gained by levels... I.e Levels...