boss fights.

Started by Reece, Jan 03, 2006, 09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reece

this is something i really owuld like to see. I wold like to see longer boss fights where it takes a full party 10 minutes to kill the boss. I wold like it to take strategy to win not just go in and hope we have enough damage to kill it before it kills us. Casters should run out of mana and have to melee. Priests run out of mana and possibly the party have to leave and go back in. I would like it to take diverse party to kill a boss not jsut some damage dealers a tank and a priest or two.

Momma always said there were gonna be days like this.... she just never said there would be so many in a row.

Valentine

In another game I had designed an area that required the party to lead another crit into the lair of the main boss...it was a headache, with figuring in % chance to follow, wandering path, and whether or not it decided to kill you first. Had I actually decided to finish it before deeming the other players unworthy I think it would've been pretty interesting.

I like non-wacking strategies....but it doesn't sound like it'd work here.
"...There was always a minority afraid of something, and a great majority afraid of the dark, afraid of the future, afraid of the past, afraid of the present, afraid of themselves and shadows of themselves..." --Ray Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles

Reece

not true ive seen it work on mudrev. Me and several friends killed bosses we shouldnt have been able to by using a party to its fullest. Have you ever spent 15 minutes killing the same guy ? Its fun because it is challenging, and your sense of reward is greater. when you take out a booss such as Night hag with a party of level 20 guys. Wich is very possibly mind you. The acheivment is greater and the reward is greater. At level 20 1.5m divided by 4-6 players is much more appreciated than a level 50 getting it all.

Momma always said there were gonna be days like this.... she just never said there would be so many in a row.

DeathCow

I don't seem to recall and 15 minute battles on Mudrev.  Eitherway, we've discussed making bosses that require strategies.  In the majormud project I worked on before this I had several monsters with AI that made for interesting battles.

Reece

me and a few guys were killing dragoons and dragons under town on mudrev at level 65. And several other larger bosses. It was time consuming and very hard usually requiing lives here and there but it was worth all the effort in the end.