Other possible options for greatermud item drop scheme. (Not for this push)

Started by Chupon, Jan 29, 2010, 06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chupon

I was thinking maybe when greatermud is in a closer to release state you could have more options than if a boss is just going to drop a lim 1st kill. Was thinking (since the engine could control the mechanic of an item dropping) Maybe you could have these options for a fresh server etc.

Options for Limited dropping mobs:

0.)- Standard (First kill of lim dropper drops all loot, subsequent kills drop based on database values for monster.)

1.)- Standard Modified (Same as standard but first kill lim drops removed, random chance from start)

2.)- Always drop 1 (Uses the same rules as standard for first limiteds but if no item drops from the random % the boss will drop its highest % drop item 100% for that kill.(regardless if a limited item drops a higher % than any non limiteds on the boss or not, the non limited item will be the item that will drop)(On a boss with no non limited items, the limited with the highest chance to drop will drop).

3.)- Always Drop 1 Modified (Same as always drop 1 but with first kill 100% limiteds removed.)

4.)- Always 1 Container(Same as standard) but if the mob has a chance to drop an item with the TYPE: Container. Ie. chests/boxes. Then if no items of type container drop, the highest chance item of type container that the boss can drop will drop.)

5.)-Always 1 container modified (Same as Always 1 container but with 1st drop 100% limiteds removeds)

Basically types 2 and 3 are for bosses that can exceed the item drop list limits of standard majormud. This is incase greatermud allows more items to be placed on a boss, i would assume it would due to the other variable limits being different from regular mud, buff limits, cash limits, enc limits etc. If a boss drops 30 items at a 1-5% chance and nothing drops one of the 30 is going to drop, the one with the highest % drop will be picked first.

Types 4 and 5 are a lot more feasible for any setup of bbs simply from the fact that chests are often garbage anyhow. You may get a bloodwood chest 15 times before you even get an item you want out of it. Also you can kill the midnight dragon and get no chests at all. This is made to remedy this and make chest acquisition less loathsome. It doesnt drop every chest 100% and most of the bosses with a great chest on them drop the crappier chests a higher % anyway so. If nothing drops from a boss with 4 chests you would get 1 drop of the highest chest % to drop. Ie. Two headed troll will always at least drop a massive wooden chest. Rotting beholder and dread captain will always drop their single chests 100% The same applies to darken beast lord, ozzrinom and the hanging tree, but i dont feel this is too overdone at all simply because none of those bosses save the dread captain (who provides enough peril getting on and off the lake and his long ass regen timer to boot) are very soloable till very high levels) Its a real shitty time when you get a party of 6 people to kill midnight dragon and NOTHING DROPS FIRST KILL. i think this would work perfectly. Sure this would make efreeti and spectral knight drop more chests but then people would actually want to kill them more often. Its a win win situation.

These ideas are to provide possible alternatives to the loot system and to attempt to combat the hardship of 0 loot bosses.
I dont think its too far fetched to a boss always at least dropping something.

Theres really not many games that ive played that bosses dont always drop loot anyways. And those games didnt have 250 hour respawn timers on some of the bosses either.)

The Crazy Animal

I had this conversation with Gard today over this subject. I basically said that the way to really go about this would be to place a drop modifier in the configuration. So on the bigbang instance load it would cycle through these modified values and then create the instance. This would allow you to set a 0 to 100% drop modifier value on standard drop rates for the first kill. Which would allow a realm to run any where between content norm to always drop on first kill while maintaining some aspect of remaining true to the content. It's a simple and easy way to go about it.

interchange

I like this idea the best, and it's the easiest to implement.

I do not like no drop on first kill because there are some monsters with practically impossible to get items from killing them, or items that would take so long to get they would no longer be useful.  Of course, it's metros fault for having stupid drop % for many items, BUT greatermud shouldn't suffer from it, and I doubt they want to do a content change to address it.

Chupon

Im glad you guys find some merit in my brainstormings  O0
Yeah i was thinking majormud was a little too punishing in some ways, but greatermud doesnt need to be the same in all aspects.

SluTFisHy

I think a first drop should be an all around 25% no matter what the drop rate is.

theres a high chance of a drop, yet it still gives a chance of no drop, so people can run through the realm in a higher level sweep and hoard everything.

Even if the normal drop rate is 100% or 50% i think first drop should still be 25%.
Listen peeps, *I INSULT PEOPLE*, thats what I do.

So when I respond to a forum, I insult people equally, I dont descriminate.

It's just me adding salt and pepper to a conversation.

Don't take anything to heart. Nubs.

DeathCow

This topic reminded me of the dual realm concept for integrating PVP and NON-PVP realms together.  Did anyone besides me like that idea?  In that version of the realm, the 100% drop still existed but items would be randomly assigned to copies of the monsters(PVP/NONPVP) during bigbang.