Started by DeathCow, May 03, 2006, 05:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghaleon

Definatly a must.
Free MajorMUD. No Playing Sysops - Quicksilver BBS
Quicksilver BBS
Quicksilver Forums

chromis

A way to get rid of power leveling. Maybe.  Track per play damage and assign a percentage of exp equal to percentage of damage. 

Player 1 does 90 damage player 2 does 10 damage,  player 1 gets 90% of exp, player 2 gets 10% exp.

If the percentage is small enough to go to less than 1 exp, then the player should not be fighting with such a highlevel player and with people more his level.

Onlyproblem I see would be keeping track of engagement / rengagment totals. or if someone stops fighting should they still get exp?  no clue if it is possible or not.

Quote from: ghaleon on May 03, 2006, 05:32 PM
To Vitoc.

Be careful with your exp calculation as well.

Lance originally messed up by making all party exp round down.

IE

2 players killing one rat worth 9 xp
9/2 = 4.5 rounded down to 4

4 to first player
4 to second player

18 players killing one rat worth 9 xp
9/10 = .9 rounded down to -1

-1 to first player
-1 to second player
...etc

if any of those players started at 0 exp there would be a problem.
rumors had it, you would instantly have your exp set to the max value of long which is 2,147,483,647 (i think)

ghaleon

That'll stop people from having 2nd chars as healers too....

I take it this will effect players engaging that arent in a party? That might be a problem with high lvl ppl scripting in easier areas and kill stealing.

and if it only effects parties... then what would stop people from just using megamud to follow the other character?
Quicksilver BBS
Quicksilver Forums

Locke Cole

Quote from: chromis on May 08, 2006, 11:48 PMPlayer 1 does 90 damage player 2 does 10 damage,  player 1 gets 90% of exp, player 2 gets 10% exp.
This would penalize healers (yeah Priests do more damage lately, but combat types still do significantly more damage; maybe this will change with GMud, but I dunno) and possibly other healer/combat mix classes as well.

The Crazy Animal

I would like to see power level limited in some way and I kind of like the idea but I can't see it going very far if it doesn't work into a valid party fairly. The only way I can think of doing it a little more even handed is going the root of sub-dividing the exp further this would make something like that a little more fair to healers and non-tanks that need to break combat alot to heal or use and pay via exp other skills in battle.

From total exp value:
30% gets used for all attacking players
45% gets subdivided based on dmg
10% gets used as a BS bonus (if contact is made)
5% gets used as a kill bonus
10% gets used as a healer bonus (based on damage healed to other players still in combat)

If no one qualifies for a portion of the damage it gets folded into the general dmg bracket. The bonuses would be small in some cases but every bit helps when looking at the total picture.

ghaleon

kinda takes all the fun out of sneaking out to AC at lvl 1 and mooching off higher lvl ppl :) But other than that I see nothing wrong with that kind of forumla.
Quicksilver BBS
Quicksilver Forums

scratacorn

Well if you want to change the way exp's given out, if you've ever played Tele-Arena you get exp per hit. It's based off of damage done, you get a percent of exp. it defintaly cut down on power leveling in the game. And when you kill the monster it doesn't give out ending exp.
If none of that makes any since, i haven't slept in 32 hours.

ghaleon

not a big fan of telearena
Quicksilver BBS
Quicksilver Forums

The Crazy Animal

can't say I'm a fan of getting exp for not killing a monster.

DeathCow

In general the exp format will remain the same.  We may create a way to compensate people who break combat for healing and blessing.

The Crazy Animal

Blah let them suffer :) Its only ever is a big deal when you break combat on a boss to heal someone and it dies before you re-attack. If anything maybe you should look at that.

I could see having an attacker flag or somehting like that; that gets removed if you leave the room but otherwise entitles you to part of the reward as long as your still alive, not dropped, and still in the room.

Colt

Can you carry 10000 clubs? Maybe we should allow them to wear 50 rings as well? Come on.

No, I can not carry 10,000 clubs, I can not cary 100 clubs, not because I am not strong enough, but because they are to bulky... I can cary a 100 pound bag, I would have a hell of a time to swing my sword while carrying it, but I can carry it.

Folks, I do not know how it is going, but I do like what I am seeing. Lots of imput, and lots of thought going into it.

No, I do not send in donations for a web site, now want to talke about donations for the new GreaterMud??? that would be a different story.
Mistic ToeThumper
Colt ToeThumper
galaxybbs.dynalias.com

rootc

10,000 clubs is such a stupid example. Of course no one is going to carry 10,000 clubs. Trying to make a point that no one can carry 10,000 clubs because they would be too hard to handle assumes that the clubs are large. Well, if a club is light enough that you could carry 10,000 of them with out exceeding your encumberance limit then I would assume that the clubs are very very small, perhaps paper clubs. In which carrying 10,000 clubs might not be a problem. It would be like carrying 10,000 silver. Heh, I don't think I could carry 10,000 silver. I'm assuming silver is in the form of a coin, but even then 10,000 coins would be very difficult to carry. Perhaps it could be done but only with some pants with lots of big pockets. So if a character was neaked then they wouldn't be able to carry as much silver bacause they would only have their hands and oraphices to hold the coins.  Point is - realistic is not realistic. Max number of items should only be limited by encumberance. If item weight is done correctly then there is no need to program in the .