Alignment Spells

Started by Psuedo, Jun 15, 2006, 05:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Psuedo

Just an idea and I know it would take alot more work, but I think it would be cool if instead of becoming Good Evil and Neutral, if you could just pick at the character devlopment screen and each alignment had a different set of spells. Completely different. This idea was touched upon a little bit with evil/good priest but I think it would make spellcasting classes alot more diverse and interesting to play.

Valentine

I disagree; I think this would make the classes less diverse, because by pre-emptively picking an alignment you would be locked into the same spells that everyone else of that alignment may use.

I believe that the spells are going to have alignment markers (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Thus your alignment will be affected by what spells you choose to learn in addition to who you choose to attack.

For instance, the use of poison is generally considered evil, but if you use that poison against evil crits, you score points for good. You may not reach sainthood due to your use of poison, but you won't be stuck as a fiend just because of your weapon choice.

This system is more complicated than the one you proposed, but allows for a nearly unlimited amount of diversity. You can be really good, really bad, or anything else in between.
"...There was always a minority afraid of something, and a great majority afraid of the dark, afraid of the future, afraid of the past, afraid of the present, afraid of themselves and shadows of themselves..." --Ray Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles

Psuedo

Ok, wasnt sure on what was being implemented. I was just trying to stray as far away from classic mmud as possible.

ghaleon

Quote from: Psuedo on Jun 15, 2006, 06:28 PM
I was just trying to stray as far away from classic mmud as possible.

I think the whole idea of greatermud is to do just the opposite.
Free MajorMUD. No Playing Sysops - Quicksilver BBS
Quicksilver BBS
Quicksilver Forums

Secret

I think Valentine has the right idea. The purpose is first to be identical to major mud and then diversify itself with the some of the ideas being talked about in the forums.