PVP Board Item drop on PVP hang

Started by Lazarus, Oct 09, 2010, 01:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazarus

I was thinking..

I think it would be a good idea to make the item drop pvp hang penalty only happen if both parties are engaged in pvp.   I don't like the idea of someone engaging someone's script just to get a couple random items drops, hoping for a lim.   It makes sense to me that you would drop items if you were in the middle of pvp, and pansied out and hung.    Essentially the way it is now, someone who doesnt care about ep's could steal your whole suit if they just come engage pvp a bunch of times. 

Also, if you are a character that has low str, and need to stay light encumbrance, you cant afford to carry a bunch of extra items in your inventory, to lessen the chance of your good items from dropping.  That gives someone who is a HOG or HORC or something an advantage that shouldn't be there.

What does anyone else think?

PTERY

I think it's fine how it is.

I'm a halfling too.

Zetetic

Lazarus, this is a bad idea. There needs to be a penalty for hanging up instead of dealing with the PVP and a reward for the person who takes evil points to attack you, if you're just going to hangup because of it.

The current problems with low strength races are a content issue, not a pvp hangup issue. Of course, the one does exacerbate the other.

Gardner Denver

I can see Lazarus point here.  I'm not 100% convinced that item drops for HOS is a good thing.  I do however think that if the item drop is removed in HOS situations, then the EPs earned by the attacker should be voided as well.

twogirlz

If you dont want to die or lose items, then go sit in the bank, scripting is a privilege, not a right.  Carrying extra items to avoid losing something of value is just a work around, its PVP, deal with it.

schwagg

Quote from: twogirlz on Oct 09, 2010, 03:25 AM
If you dont want to die or lose items, then go sit in the bank, scripting is a privilege, not a right.  Carrying extra items to avoid losing something of value is just a work around, its PVP, deal with it.

The entire game is built around scripting. Not only that, but the game is totally reliant on one single abandonware terminal because the game is built around scripting.

The benefit you recieve for hanging people's script under Lazarus's idea is clear-- you are preventing them from advancing. The length of this prevention depends on your willingness to hang around and make sure that person can't afk script. If you want their items, there's a pretty simple solution--Bring enough firepower to kill them before they can hang, or kill them at keys.

Giving people free items for simply showing up and engaging a scripter just doesn't make sense whatsoever. Lazarus's idea has some definite merit.

Lazarus

Quote from: twogirlz on Oct 09, 2010, 03:25 AM
its PVP, deal with it.

But this is NOT pvp.  This is PVScript.  BIG Difference. 

Coming and hanging someone script just to get a quick item drop is a cowardly thing to do.  You should not be rewarded for it like that.  Keeping them from gaining exp should be reward enough.

I am all for item drops when both parties are involved in the pvp and one of them hangs to avoid dying.  There SHOULD be some compensation for someone taking the sissy way out. 

Lazarus

What about an exception to both parties involved rule.     What if you could make a script item drop on hangup if you successfully inflicted more than 50% damage to their health before they hung (not including the hang penalty).  I could see getting a reward for that. 

My beef is someone going and engaging combat, just to get some items.   But if someone is actually able to deal some real damage but unable to finish them off since they hang, more power to them.

Hydroponic

If you dont want to drop items set up your mega better. run then hang or fight or don't script if I waste the ep's to engage on you I should be rewarded somehow. also there is a non pvp board here too.

twogirlz

Quote from: Lazarus on Oct 09, 2010, 10:46 AM
But this is NOT pvp.  This is PVScript.  BIG Difference. 

I will reiterate.... If you dont want someone to kill your script then stay at keyboard, or go to the bank, ITS PVP, people can kill whoever they want and your script is you, if you dont like it, make a better script, or pay someone to do it, donate to Merlin. Baby sit your script if you dont want to get hung, or group a lot of ppl and retalliate, there are so many options, perhaps go play in carebear realm.

Lol, if it was up to me, there would be a 2 minute delay from when you hang up and when you log out of mud, then its fair game for everyone.  Who needs hang penalties then?

Thergin

This is not something that should even be debatable, scripting is optional, using megamud is optional, and even if you do use it you can RUN BEFORE HANGUP. Hoe much softer do you want it, oh i didnt attack back ooo, that can be exploited when your at the keys. The hang penalty is adjustable, well in reg mud you can just make it 0-1 item or something.

The person that trecks and finds your script and gets evil points should be rewarded for that time hand playing. It is just how much you reward it, you think its normally so easy to find someone when exp is not tracked? I am not sure why that is still even on, so lets have no hang pen for scripting but lets leave exp tracking on?

I do thnk that weapons should be immune that are equiped.

y2duhh

I agree with this Idea, I also think the HP Hang Penalty should stay in tact. so you don't drop items but you do drop hps. If you disagree then maybe it should be you drop 1 EQ'd Item always and then whats in your inventory is dropped based on rank of value. If you have a lim in your inventory you have 1 in 4 chance of dropping it if you have a glass mirror in your inventory you have a 1 in 100 chance of dropping it.

Excarkun

Why is this even being discussed?
Why do non-pvpers or sitting in bank Girls that worry about text game items are now crying here about pvp hang pents?
Want to gain exp on pvp mud take a chance of getting pvped while afk scripting, we all take that risk. If don't want too Go to Sissy Realm..won't miss yea..

I Agreed with 2girls or an old Tupac post once u hang in pvp 100% death.  

All safe rooms need to go or have a timer were u get teleported to known Unsafe rooms, a max 4 at random. After so many mins like 10.
And if you run to safe room during pvp the pvp retaliation time pauses.

On a different Note: Lets have a PVP- T-ment Still even with the known Bugs

Lazarus

Quote from: Gardner Denver on Oct 09, 2010, 02:20 AM
  I do however think that if the item drop is removed in HOS situations, then the EPs earned by the attacker should be voided as well.

I agree with this.

Fuxsiloh

I think that if you sit in the bank for 24 hours you should start randomly dropping items from fatigue.

In response to the idea floated in this post - you're a carebear, go play carebear realm. If you think playing MUD is scripting 24/7 with your pimp items, then you have a very different idea of how the game should be played than I do. Just because some people don't have time to be at keys as much as they would like to, shouldn't be a reason to bring in rules which will just make the game more stale and boring for the everyone else. When item drop was introduced last push the level of PVP increased - this is a GOOD thing. Now you can say "PvP" and "PvScript" but it is a false dichotomy. Everyone scripts and you will invariably hit someones "script" when you want to kill them because the chances of both of you being at keys at the same time is limited - it is just what PVP is these days, get used to it. I love it when your enemy is actually at keys - possibly the greatest thing that can happen, which is why I laugh when they run to the bank!?

The circulation of items is a good thing. Surely you thought it was a good thing when you raided our ganghouse while the board was bugged and flushed all the items we had in the vault?

Actually - having said that, why are we even listening to a douchebag like you? You have zero credibility. Go f@$k yourself.