spell filler

Started by Bong, Jan 13, 2006, 08:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bong

There's a particular command that is usless in majormud, purge. I suggest a way to fix that.

This solution involves filling in some of the blank spell levels, ie ones where you get no spells, and maybe could provide continuation for lower-ability magic classes. It's a simple idea, really, higher "lvl" versions of earlier spells. Basically, take a spell like maelstrom. Now, I know there's higher level room spells then this, but my idea is to have a lvl 60 (arbitrary#) version of this spell. This version could have many different, but small, upgrades from the original version. Lower mana cost (may help with scripting), higher min and/or max random damage, higher min/max base value(s), lower difficulty, add your own idea here, etc.

Just have the new spell (same name is my thought, since people can purge the old one before learning the new one) in a different shop to prevent confusion. Of course, if you're worried this might make your job harder("now, which one of the versions of this spell do I need? No, those three are player versions, these four are different monsters....oh, there it is!") then you could call it MaelstromII and make the short code the same, still forcing people to purge the old spell if they want to cast the new one.

Avenues would be opened for defining spells other than "this one does mroe damage than that". Pick one or two of the aforementioned upgrades and focus on it for that spell, and then you'll have one area attack that in the end has higher min damage, and lower cost, versus this other one that has higher max damage, and lower dificulty. This also wouldn't be a great deviation from the original concept of spells, just a continuation. It's actually one of the ideas for the board I've always thought about but know I'll never make. Also, like I originally stated, it will provide more spells per character, even if it is just an upgrade to an older spell.

Edit: Finishing sentances after parenthesis is a good idea.

DeathCow

I like it.  t owuldnt make thingins any more difficult, spells can be sorted in dozens of ways.  I normally sort by index number rather than by alphabetical order.

The Crazy Animal

You could just tag each spell with a quality like items already have. So the spell Maelstrom would still be the same spell, but the quality level of the spell would have an influence over its efficiency and the other additional effects mentioned.

TCA