Lanterns

Started by The Crazy Animal, Jan 18, 2006, 12:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Crazy Animal

For some reason I?ve had lanterns stuck on the brain. In mmud the lanterns simply poofed when they ran out of fuel and a near empty lantern sells for as much as a new one.? I was thinking it might be better to make lanterns a little more realistic.

They are sold to you empty.
They are refillable at any of the shops that you can buy them.
Different styles of lanterns can hold different amounts of fuel.
They don?t poof when the fuel runs out but an empty tag gets triggered in front of their name.
When you look at them you can see how full they are.
When you sell a lantern with fuel you get paid for the left over fuel.
Different styles of lanterns could have different brightness.

Edit: I was thinking that doing it this way would let players without night vision or lighting spells have some variance in their lanterns as well as having better lanterns to fined for those dark areas.

TCA

DeathCow

This could be done, sure.  But...why exactly?  I mean there are already different brightness levels per lantern...as well as different durations.  If I did this all across my realm, in every dark scripting area every room would look like this

The room is very dark.
use lan
You lit the lantern
Dank Chamber
Obvious exits: south.
Also here:8974 (empty) lantern, 21 silver farthings.

The Crazy Animal

Well for one if you raise the cost of the lantern and make the fuel cheap then people will be more willing to fill them up rather than throwing them away unless the economy ends up like mmud?s currently is where money isn?t worth the material its made from.

Normally I don?t post these smaller festering ideas but it was just stuck there in my mind so I had no choice other than to post it to make it go away :)

TCA

DeathCow

No having nightvision is punishment enough, lanterns should be simple.

The Crazy Animal

Ok sounds fair to me so tell me where is the trash bin to throw this idea into?

DA