Penalty for dying

Started by Vitoc, Jan 11, 2007, 12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeathCow

I wouldnt mind exp debt.

Ian

It worked in Diablo II
If we can hit that bulls-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards.? Check-mate!

shattergod

Quote from: The Crazy Animal on Mar 08, 2007, 05:20 PM
That would get in the way of pvping for items...

Not really. A PvP'r is usually after one or two items. The chance of losing the specific one or two items the PvP'r are after is relatively slim. Conversely the one dying would be potentially facing a VERY harsh penalty for dying.

It adds a penalty to dying that can't, for the most part, just be done away with more scripting (ala xp debt), nor does it wreck your character for a certain amount of time due to CP or Level loss.

The Crazy Animal

Quote from: shattergod on Mar 09, 2007, 10:06 AM
Not really. A PvP'r is usually after one or two items. The chance of losing the specific one or two items the PvP'r are after is relatively slim. Conversely the one dying would be potentially facing a VERY harsh penalty for dying.

I normally clean them out and take everything of any value... I agree that normally its one or two key items that causes the attack but at higher levels most characters have items that are of a fair value. By fair value I mean that aren't just store bought i.e. come from chests, NPC drops, or are made... Personally I can see reasons for going with item removal but I don't think its any currently harsher then dying from pvp in the current system.

Secondly I know you haven't been here long but if we implement the idea for NPC cleaner agents then there would already be a chance of loosing items that are left on the ground.

Quote from: shattergod on Mar 09, 2007, 10:06 AM
It adds a penalty to dying that can't, for the most part, just be done away with more scripting (ala xp debt), nor does it wreck your character for a certain amount of time due to CP or Level loss.

Nope I can just go out and by a new item instead unless your talking about say the loss of a limited item with a low drop rate or a quest item that you can't re-quest to get again... Seriously though with the exception of CP loss and stat or even ability manipulation the others have fairly easy fixes. Even CP loss at the current rate of CP build up has an easy fix.