Stand Alone BBS Software or Basically Door Game

Started by KalEl, Apr 25, 2006, 10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KalEl

Just wondering if your initial release will be a stand-alone bbs type software like the demo you have setup now or if it will basically be a door game for worldgroup and others.

Also, if you had any ideas on pricing.(I know it might be a bit premature for this question.)

Kal

If Superman is bulletproof, why does he duck when a gun is thrown at him?

Vitoc

It is a stand-alone telnet server, so it will not run under worldgroup or other BBS software.

We will be running one realm on our own server to start with.? Depending on the response we get we will determine whether it will be made available for purchase.? If it is made available, you can bet it will be a fraction of the cost of WG + Major MUD + Modules.

DeathCow

Cause we'd actually want people to play the game :p

Ian

Probably not the right place for this, be we are discussing how this game is going to be deployed, so deal with it.

I, for one, would like to see this game run on Linux.  I spent many an hour trying to get Linux to emulate windows well enough to run Worldgroup (I think btrieve killed that attempt).  I realise it may be too late since I read that you are coding in .net and using an access server.... but what are my chances?  Could this game be ported to Java (wishful thinking), C++, or eventually (and I know you've already veto-ed this Vitoc) made opensource.  I'm not talking about during development, but when we have a finished product, when you're leaning back with your hands behind your head watching DC having to do all the work from now on.  Admittedly I don't know enough programming to be able to speculate how it would be possible, but is there any way (of this running on Linux)?

Or should I just cross my fingers that the Linux-based windows emulator deals with this better than WG?
If we can hit that bulls-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards.? Check-mate!

Vitoc

Quote from: Ian on Apr 27, 2006, 09:05 PM
Probably not the right place for this, be we are discussing how this game is going to be deployed, so deal with it.

I, for one, would like to see this game run on Linux.? I spent many an hour trying to get Linux to emulate windows well enough to run Worldgroup (I think btrieve killed that attempt).? I realise it may be too late since I read that you are coding in .net and using an access server.... but what are my chances?? Could this game be ported to Java (wishful thinking), C++, or eventually (and I know you've already veto-ed this Vitoc) made opensource.? I'm not talking about during development, but when we have a finished product, when you're leaning back with your hands behind your head watching DC having to do all the work from now on.? Admittedly I don't know enough programming to be able to speculate how it would be possible, but is there any way (of this running on Linux)?

Or should I just cross my fingers that the Linux-based windows emulator deals with this better than WG?
For starters, check out the Mono project.? They've essentially ported .NET over to Linux, and from what I've heard, it's very impressive (you can essentially copy C# code over verbatim and compile it).? Microsoft also released the CLI (I think that's what it's called) for Unix and Linux, which is a stripped down version of the .NET framework, including source (very unusual for Microsoft).

I'm using C# because I can do in an hour what it would take someone an entire day to do in C++.? The end result in C++ would be just marginally faster, (we're talking like 5-10% increase at best), however it would be much more prone to errors (memory leaks, etc.).? We're creating a text game here, not the latest greatest FPS, although I must say Managed DirectX has come a long way, but I digress...? After starting this game in C#, just for the hell of it, I did sit down to start creating it in C++ so that it could run on my FreeBSD box.? I found that you run into cross platform library issues.? The libraries available in C++ are infinitely more complex and cryptic than those available in .NET.? Honestly, we're better off with C# on all accounts.

I'm using SQL Server (not Access), because it's stable, it's free (a la MSDE or SQL Express) and it's plenty fast (a la stored procedures).

Switching languages at any point would be counterproductive IMO.? C# works, it's fast, and the development time saved is nothing short of phenomenal (it's not called rapid application development for nothing).

I don't believe in Open Source.? For one, it's parasitic; it's the lazy coder's solution.? Second, quality is not as important to every programmer who touches a project, and I'd rather code something myself the right way than look over someone else's code to make sure they did it correctly.? Finally, you get a patchwork of varying programming styles all mixed into one project that lacks consistency.? I could write essays on the topic, but I'll spare you the lecture.

Ian

Sounds like this issue has been considered and found infeasible.  Let's just hope this mono project can compile your source.  That'd be sweet.

And I for-sure understand why you chose C#... I prefer Java over C/C++ any day of the week, and from what I've seen C# is fairly much Java on the .NET framework (which I've never grasped the concept of exactly)
If we can hit that bulls-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards.? Check-mate!

KalEl

Now what about people who already have worldgroup and majormud... will there be a greatermud that could be worked through worldgroup. The sysop on the board I play at normally wondered cuz of the costs of a second ip/cpu and internet line.  I'm sure he barely breaks even as it is so would there be something like this for people.  I know its a little early in devolpment to ask alot of the questions i have asked about this.

Kal

If Superman is bulletproof, why does he duck when a gun is thrown at him?

Colt

Quote from: KalEl on May 11, 2006, 07:48 AM
Now what about people who already have worldgroup and majormud... will there be a greatermud that could be worked through worldgroup. The sysop on the board I play at normally wondered cuz of the costs of a second ip/cpu and internet line.? I'm sure he barely breaks even as it is so would there be something like this for people.? I know its a little early in devolpment to ask alot of the questions i have asked about this.

Kal

Kal, I actually was wondering not because of the cost. But if I could run them both on the same machine .. I am actually putting together 3 computers for my system, Until Worldgroup goes dead, I will run major mud, I want to be on top of this too. I have been going over the info that they put together so far, and I like it.

Being a truck driver  plan to have a server up running for games like neverwinter nights. so I can play while on the road, and one for worldgroup/majormud, if it is stand alone I will put it on the 3rd machine. it were worldgroup, then I would have to worry about the possibility of memory problems...

The users on our BBS have paid for the mods, so I feel I have to keep the bbs up and running until they stop comeing.. shrug. but I like playing too. just not as much time as I used to have to play.

Mistic ToeThumper
Colt ToeThumper
galaxybbs.dynalias.com

Vitoc

Quote from: KalEl on May 11, 2006, 07:48 AM
Now what about people who already have worldgroup and majormud... will there be a greatermud that could be worked through worldgroup. The sysop on the board I play at normally wondered cuz of the costs of a second ip/cpu and internet line.? I'm sure he barely breaks even as it is so would there be something like this for people.? I know its a little early in devolpment to ask alot of the questions i have asked about this.

Kal
I don't know much about WorldGroup.? I do know it's horribly bloated for what is needed to run a text game like Major MUD.? However, I realize people have spent a lot of time and money getting WG setups working properly.

I wonder if WG has a way to set up a protocol that can connect, as a server, to another server via a port.? I know I've seen things like this in the past on BBSs, where an entire BBS connects and the users from the different BBSs are able to interact with one another.? Better yet, would be a way to get WG to act as a proxy between GMUD and the user.? We could set up a special login on the GMUD server where WG would "telnet" (on a different port) over to GMUD when the user enters the GMUD "module", and ideally it should automatically enter the user information that GMUD requires to login.? I don't know how easy or practical this is in practice, but I can make the lightweight telnet server I created, (TGS - Telnet Game Server ;) ) login extremely flexible, and could probably create custom solutions if necessary.? But someone will have to give me all the details on what WG can do and how it does it.

Colt

Quote from: Vitoc on May 11, 2006, 10:24 AM
I wonder if WG has a way to set up a protocol that can connect, as a server, to another server via a port.? I know I've seen things like this in the past on BBSs, where an entire BBS connects and the users from the different BBSs are able to interact with one another.? Better yet, would be a way to get WG to act as a proxy between GMUD and the user.? We could set up a special login on the GMUD server where WG would "telnet" (on a different port) over to GMUD when the user enters the GMUD "module", and ideally it should automatically enter the user information that GMUD requires to login.? I don't know how easy or practical this is in practice, but I can make the lightweight telnet server I created, (TGS - Telnet Game Server ;) ) login extremely flexible, and could probably create custom solutions if necessary.? But someone will have to give me all the details on what WG can do and how it does it.
RLOGIN I believe is what is used to log from worldgroup to door servers, and it takes all the information needed.
you used to be able to download worldgroup demo ... it would only work with 2 lines. but it might give you the information you need to do this
Mistic ToeThumper
Colt ToeThumper
galaxybbs.dynalias.com

PAA666

I just signed up on the server and am into mud hardcore.....

Just wanted to know if there are any updates for prices and distribution ideas for this game.....

Just let me know i will check back on a daily basis, or as often as possible, i am actually really excited about this and would be willing to purchase it for a "fraction of the pricing" if you all decide to market this...

DeathCow

We haven't exactly gotten around to discussing that.  I mean various ideas have been thrown back and forth but really nothing as been finalized.

PAA666

that's fine, i just figured i would poke and pry to see....

DownUnderBBS

will the port on which it runs (the builtin telnet server) be configurable?