Frontrank/Midrank/Backrank, Combat

Started by Achilles, Apr 16, 2009, 06:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Achilles

(This post may be irrelevant, if in fact these things are already part of MM/GM.)

We are all aware of the back/mid/frontrank features.  What I ask is:  does your "rank" position in a particular party effect things like combat/defense?  I would think that defense would come into play, but how about combat?

For instance:  You have a party of    Ninja (backrank)  Priest  (midrank)   Paladin  (frontrank)

Party walks into a room, Ninja sneaking to backstab and since the Ninja was backranked in this party we'll say the game gives him an automatic +5 bsmax.

Or because Paladin is frontranked, he should have a +%chance of getting hit by monsters in the room (by design); the midranked gets +2 dmg/+2 defense,ect...

Is any of this already IN play in either game... and if not please feel free to post your thoughts.

Trios

Quote from: Achilles on Apr 16, 2009, 06:35 AM
(This post may be irrelevant, if in fact these things are already part of MM/GM.)

We are all aware of the back/mid/frontrank features.  What I ask is:  does your "rank" position in a particular party effect things like combat/defense?  I would think that defense would come into play, but how about combat?

For instance:  You have a party of    Ninja (backrank)  Priest  (midrank)   Paladin  (frontrank)

Party walks into a room, Ninja sneaking to backstab and since the Ninja was backranked in this party we'll say the game gives him an automatic +5 bsmax.

Or because Paladin is frontranked, he should have a +%chance of getting hit by monsters in the room (by design); the midranked gets +2 dmg/+2 defense,ect...

Is any of this already IN play in either game... and if not please feel free to post your thoughts.

This is fairly well explained in the MajorMUD help, but I'm not sure if it was implemented fully.

Essentially, people in the front rank get a +acc bonus for being closer to the combat; they also are easier to hit. People in the midrank get no bonuses, but no penalties. Backrank would give you an accuracy penalty, and an ac bonus, with the exception of ranged attack which would not be penalized due to the very nature of ranged attacks.

In this instance, you would want the priest in the backrank to keep him from being hit, the ninja in the front rank to keep him doing damage, and the paladin in the backrank to increase his ac and make him tank better. With the paladin attacking last, the -ac penalty for the ninja being frontranked shouldn't come into play.

Achilles

de'cow, or anyone else clarify this?  Did MMud ever implement this?   Thanks for the reply Trios!

DeathCow

PositionAccuracyDefense (hidden AC)
Backrank-10+15
Midrank00
Frontrank+15-10

Jumpkicking is immune to the acc bonus and penalty.

The long answer.

Is that the bonus "ac" is actually secondary defence.  Like shadow, prev...etc

loc_0_42B64D:
      mov     eax, [ebx+attackvalues.accuracy]
      add     eax, [ebp+accuracymod]
      mov     edx, [ebx+attackvalues.accuracy]
      add     edx, [ebp+accuracymod]
      imul    edx
      mov     ecx, 14
      cdq
      idiv    ecx
      mov     ecx, 10
      cdq
      idiv    ecx
      mov     ecx, eax
      test    ecx, ecx
      jz short loc_0_42B689
      mov     eax, [esi+attackvalues.ac]
      add     eax, [esi+attackvalues.secondarydefense]
      mov     edx, [esi+attackvalues.ac]
      add     edx, [esi+attackvalues.secondarydefense]
      imul    edx
      cdq
      idiv    ecx
      mov     ecx, 100
      sub     ecx, eax
      jmp     short loc_0_42B68E

This code snipet leads one to believe that secondary ac only works in some cases.  Backstabbing, for example..would ignore secondary ac.