Penalties for blindness

Started by ghaleon, May 05, 2006, 07:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghaleon

I though about adding the spell "Darkness" to the sorcerer class

Basically it would change the light in the room to very dark
unless the monster/player had some sort of way to see in the dark, they would suffer a penalty

..Then I thought, why not have a penalty anytime your not able to see in a dark room?

Wouldnt that make sense?

Obviously the 'counter' for that spell would be the druids spell 'daylight'

I believe there should be a counterspell for almost all utility/DoT spells.
Free MajorMUD. No Playing Sysops - Quicksilver BBS
Quicksilver BBS
Quicksilver Forums

Ian

I was under the impression players already DID suffer a penalty when blind or in dark rooms.  An accuracy penalty from memory.  And how would darkness be different from any blindness/mass blindness spell?  I'm not sure if the game deals with darkness/blindness any differently.
If we can hit that bulls-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards.? Check-mate!

DeathCow

There is an acc pen for not being able to see, -3 for dimly lit, and -5 for no vision.  And yes most spells should have a reasonable counter.

Vitoc

Quote from: DeathCow on May 05, 2006, 03:43 PM
There is an acc pen for not being able to see, -3 for dimly lit, and -5 for no vision.? And yes most spells should have a reasonable counter.
-5 for no vision?

You can't see a thing, and you're losing just a fraction of your accuracy?? That seems ludicrous.

Can we make the penalty way more severe?? Can we, can we, can we?? Pleeeeeeeease?

DeathCow

Quote from: Vitoc on May 05, 2006, 04:26 PM
There is an acc pen for not being able to see, -3 for dimly lit, and -5 for no vision.  And yes most spells should have a reasonable counter.
-5 for no vision?

You can't see a thing, and you're losing just a fraction of your accuracy?  That seems ludicrous.

Can we make the penalty way more severe?  Can we, can we, can we?  Pleeeeeeeease?
Well, when they added the pen -5 has huge, cause the max level was 12.. :P

Vitoc

Quote from: DeathCow on May 05, 2006, 05:16 PM
Quote from: Vitoc on May 05, 2006, 04:26 PM
There is an acc pen for not being able to see, -3 for dimly lit, and -5 for no vision.? And yes most spells should have a reasonable counter.
-5 for no vision?

You can't see a thing, and you're losing just a fraction of your accuracy?? That seems ludicrous.

Can we make the penalty way more severe?? Can we, can we, can we?? Pleeeeeeeease?
Well, when they added the pen -5 has huge, cause the max level was 12.. :P
How bout we change it to a 50% loss of accuracy and a 3% chance you might hit yourself.  :D

Ian

You swing blindly and miss, cutting off your own foot for 15 damage!
If we can hit that bulls-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards.? Check-mate!

DeathCow

DeathCow

And losing half your acc makes a dark room a bigger pen for higher level (ie more experienced) players.

Vitoc

Quote from: DeathCow on May 05, 2006, 10:50 PM
And losing half your acc makes a dark room a bigger pen for higher level (ie more experienced) players.
A more experienced player should have brought a lantern.? ;)

The Crazy Animal

What about:

Result: loose one round

Result: agility test for falling down

Message: You swing wildly in the dark and hit (random target)!
Random target could be anything in the room player or monster (full damage)

Message: You swing wildly in the dark and graze (random target)!
Random target could be anything in the room player or monster (partial damage)

Each would have a random chance of happening based on how dark the room is.

DeathCow

Locke Cole

ghaleon

hmmm well if it isnt locke

No I dont think the player NEEDS to see the penalty. but there should be a strong penalty for it.

The hitting yourself thing is definatly out. I dont care how blind I am with a sword, Im not going to hit myself :) I know where my foot is. Now my party members foot..... =)

But the 50% acc penalty is definatly something I could see.  5%-10% to dimly lit rooms?
Free MajorMUD. No Playing Sysops - Quicksilver BBS
Quicksilver BBS
Quicksilver Forums

The Crazy Animal

Giggle, at least someone got it :)

Quote from: ghaleon on May 08, 2006, 08:26 AM
The hitting yourself thing is definatly out. I dont care how blind I am with a sword, Im not going to hit myself :) I know where my foot is. Now my party members foot..... =)

Sorry the idea was a partialy consealed joke at more realistic situations but I wanted to just point out there is more you could do with darkness then just effect accuracy and it doesn't need to be as obvious of a total botch as hitting yourself. Though maybe the hitting yourself in the foot should be put in to work with bottles of rum I've seen stuff like that happen.  :D