Armor Changes

Started by Jumpin Jack Flash, Jan 27, 2017, 10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cytrik

QuoteAs for increasing combat on certain classes, lowering their exp charts would help them level faster, sure.  But, we're not looking to make a level 50 gypsy comparable to a level 30 paladin.  We're looking to make all classes balanced in a toe-to-toe, level for level duel.  We want a level 30 gypsy to be comparable to a level 30 paladin.

This is exactly what you wrote... Now you're saying it is the complete opposite... you want EXP levels to make them equal?

As for making all classes balanced in a duel, whether it be level for level or exp for exp... some classes just under perform in PVP. Some classes just aren't really designed for it.

QuoteHowever, after further review (and much aggression from the pvp side), these changes will be implemented for the PVE realm only!
And THIS makes no sense whatsoever... You are pushing to equal the classes exp for exp/ level for level/ toe to toe what ever you choose in a duel? but only on the PVE side only? It sounds like the pushes are coming from the PVP side, but not being implemented there?

The classes don't need equalising in a duel, especially on the PVE side of things. The classes need to be equalised for survive-ability.
Each class is going to perform differently in different areas, Plate wearers will excel in heavy melee based areas, mages/druids in multi mob rooms, dodge classes will excel in areas that don't have spells or knockdown spells etc.
You can't balance all the classes to have the same survive-ability in every area. You just need to make them able to survive better in the areas their abilities suit.

Thieves are just never going to be comparable to other classes. With no healing, no buff spells, poor combat, and average armor, they are just doomed.
The leather armor in the current form needs review. As I stated on another post, alot of leather wearers can only survive by switching out for silks and +dodge gear. The leather armour as it is very poor.
Lowering DR on plate wearers will not improve the leather armor. Do what you want with plate, it will not convince me to go back to a full leather wearer.
And if others are of the same opinion, then the who point of these changes have failed.

Jumpin Jack Flash

OK, take a deep breath and calm down.  Initially, we were pushing changes to both realms, with one side of the team looking at changes to the PVE realm, and the other side looking at changes for the PVP realm.  After much thought, it is impossible to develop a single dat files used by both realms, and keep both sides happy.  So, the changes we are making now are for the PVE side ONLY!  Because of this, some of the earlier changes have been undone, and we will post those here for discussion when we have them ready. 

Nothing that we've done has been finalized, and I encourage you to keep your posts coming about what needs to be fixed.  But please, keep the complaining to a minimum, and offer suggestions on how to improve the realm.  Any and all ideas will be looked at seriously.  We've already agreed to put ShadowHome in the code, and Vitoc has agreed to do this.  That was based on another users forum post, so we do read and consider all input!

I'd like for you, Chupon and Blake to be on the play-testing team when we get ready to load up a test realm, since you guys are the only ones with any input.  You good with that?

Winterhawk

Let me take a crack at some of your questions and concerns.

DR adjustments

As it stands now in the early game a plate class can basically walk thru life with damage bouncing off. The changes will limit that some in the early game and make a more balanced early-mid game. Leather will never be like plate but some adjustments may yet be made there. Play testing will look at it.

Thieves
The goal is to make all classes playable if not enjoyable when played alone as well as in a party. Ninja gets enhanced dodge and crits and all weapons. They are still very distinct classes. The shadowhome skill by design will let them rest while hidden. The low exp chart makes them cheap but with these changes our hope is they are more playable as a distinct class

Rangers

Rangers will get the added spells of regeration and stoneskin to offset the high chart. This puts them more in line with priestly and mage classes armour spells and helps offset some of the exp chart.

rcol/rfir

rfir and rcol are not opposites, merely resistances. Druid globe of the elements and bard song of the elements include both at once as well. This was a pretty recent change by metro
which may have been done to combat 10 spelling which is not an issue in gmud. We can think of no instance where this hurts anyone.

Quests

The quests that were reduced were the level 15 quests that already gave an additional stat bonus and the big experience was just a way to blast past several levels. With an eye towards slowing down the early portion of the game these have been spread out and reduced in experience. The phoenix feather and the alignment quests have been left alone and in the case of the 4th (dark phoenix) actually been increased to reflect the amount of work that goes into them.

Neutral

This has been discussed with the expectation of either allowing neutral priests to use the good spells or possibly either good or evil options. At this point spellmod does allow them to use protection from evil as well as protection from good.

Blackwood staff

The blackwood staff is not a terribly powerful weapon alone at  1300 speed and 4-10 damage but add the 99% cast extra drain spell and it becomes 8-30 at 1300 speed with the added benefit of refilling your health by an average of 72 hitpoints per round. REducing the drain makes it an effective 6-20 which still tops any other staff  I see and many bladed weapons as well.

Stun/fear/sleep

This is high on the list of coding changes. In majormud once a spell is cast on you by a monster all other attempts to cast that spell on you are resisted which gives you a chance to break free. In gmud the monster can cast the same spell and it resets the timer effectively creating a continuous effect..permastun. This may require a change in how users cast spells on themselves as well, that is still under discussion.

Chart changes

The goal is to create as balanced a game as we can within the limits of the engine. our aim is to make all classes equally playable and enjoyable. This has never been successfully done before but we are giving it a try anyway. ;D

Lairs

We are adding lairs all over the realm. So far we have added in sewers..slimy sewers..slum sewers...smugglers..crumbling tunnels..slums...sandstone mines with jungle on the list already as well as others you mentioned..gnaj areas.....diamond mines...and exp adjustments are also in the plan.

Rod of might

The ideal play might be to increase neutral gear to make people want to play it but at this point this weapon sits on the floor and is never used..its too good an item to waste away like that. In the realm now I would be surprised if  there is one actually in use in the huge list of players. Our first goal is to renew use and circulation of items that don't get anough use and allow more ways to build a character. As we move forward into adding new areas/items this track may be given more weight.

cytrik

I appologise if I've come off as aggressive... I wasn't intending to. It's just I seem to have come late to all the forum posts, as I only saw someone post the link in the 'gossip' about 2 days ago, and by that time some of the posts said they were closed as noone seemed to have any issues with them.

I'm all for trying to make the game balanced and fun for all classes. There is alot of fixing/changes that need to be made across alot of classes to do this.
Just by reading the last few forum posts, it appeared it was just a move to nerf some of the only classes that survive well solo.
I have no problems trying to reduce the DR on some of the lower end gear to attempt to slow down the ability to walk straight through monsters, but the high end gear tops out at level 50, so from then on you are relying soley on extra HPs to keep you alive as you progress on your leveling.
With many of the guys hitting level 100+ (one of my own last night.) it seems poor form to reduce the already limited 50+ gear.

Has there been discussions on adding in 60+, 70+ etc gear?

I have to head off to work, but I'll think of any other ideas that I can and post later.

I'm happy to be a tester in the new realm.

Jumpin Jack Flash

It's my intention to add additional armor's for all classes, especially leather folks.

Greater

Do you intend to release a MME export for the realm after all the changes are made?

xian

Can PvP get the lair changes at least?

Jumpin Jack Flash

Quote from: Coarse Horse on Jan 30, 2017, 03:51 PM
Do you intend to release a MME export for the realm after all the changes are made?

No, that would reveal all of our easter eggs.

Quote from: xian on Jan 30, 2017, 05:03 PM
Can PvP get the lair changes at least?

Not at this time, because I have to edit a separate dat file for the PVP realm, so PVE will be first, then tested.  Once all the bugs are worked out of that one, then we'll put some time into the other realm.

Blake

Quote from: Winterhawk on Jan 30, 2017, 09:48 AM

Chart changes

The goal is to create as balanced a game as we can within the limits of the engine. our aim is to make all classes equally playable and enjoyable. This has never been successfully done before but we are giving it a try anyway. ;D

I get what you're going for here but you're taking something objective and subjective and trying to combine the two.  You can make all classes balanced... but the idea that you can grade someone's utility for a certain class vs. another while balancing all classes doesn't work.

Please make the changes slowly.  I'd hate to have a realm full of gypsies running around next push.

cytrik

QuotePlease make the changes slowly.  I'd hate to have a realm full of gypsies running around next push.
Gypsy's and Missy's are gonna be the gotto classes...

Has there been any suggestion to change the Warlock into a 2h weapon class?
I think that would make a very nice alternative to the normal Paly class.
Either that or maintain the exp % for gypsy and make them 2h. That would give an alternative to the ranger.

Just some suggestions.

Can we change 'red enameled scalemail' to chainmail instead? The AC could be changed to reflect this. That way it would be usable by warlocks, as it currently stands WH's can't use it because it's magical and no plate wearer would opt for it over a plate option.
It's another item that sits around gathering dust.

Jumpin Jack Flash

Quote from: cytrik on Feb 02, 2017, 03:39 AM
Can we change 'red enameled scalemail' to chainmail instead? The AC could be changed to reflect this. That way it would be usable by warlocks, as it currently stands WH's can't use it because it's magical and no plate wearer would opt for it over a plate option.
It's another item that sits around gathering dust.

Done.  Weight/Dodge altered to reflect chain instead of scale.  Item now called Red Enameled Chainmail

cytrik

QuoteDone.  Weight/Dodge altered to reflect chain instead of scale.  Item now called Red Enameled Chainmail

That was quick and easy...

Just reading back through the changes... is there a reason ninjas don't get shadowhome? Realistically if any class was to be able to hide while resting it would be a ninja.

cytrik

A few more ideas, just for the hell of it...
Is it possible to make the thief's kit off-hand? with an AC of maybe 1? Not sure if anyone actually uses these, but having a constant boost to picklocks and traps instead of having to switch out a weapon might make it enticing.

Can we have a look at some of the low level ninja only weapons? I'm just browsing through and noticed that 'kusari gama' while it does not have a level requirement it does have a lower speed/damage ratio than a severed leg and a lower minimum damage... And being that it's 2h and a severed leg is 1h, you can still run an offhand with the leg.

Come to think of it, there's alot that's got a lower speed/dmg ratio than a severed leg... I'm starting to think the severed leg is overpowered.

Is there anything that can be done about the withered walking stick? Maybe add some mana regen onto it, nothing too high as it's not a limited item, but it is level 40+ and that might entice some neutral mage/priests or even druids to look at it.

Just another idea, which I think is possible in the game already, but not 100% sure, but is it possible to change some of the limited staff's/wands that cast spells per day to be unlimited like the nexus spear. But add in a mana requirement to them. So that you can be one of a limited number that can cast some cool spells but it's mana dependent, so you can't just cast it every single round without penalty. Would make some of the lesser used staves more in demand.

You can tell me to stop at any time...

Jumpin Jack Flash

Quote from: cytrik on Feb 03, 2017, 02:54 AM
That was quick and easy...

Just reading back through the changes... is there a reason ninjas don't get shadowhome? Realistically if any class was to be able to hide while resting it would be a ninja.

Pretty sure Ninja's are slated to receive, if not, they will.