Started by Jumpin Jack Flash, Apr 06, 2017, 07:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr sinister

Caster Sashes
what do they do?
you wear them and "1"?

the changes look great from a pve side of things,
and nice job on fixing the items. the cursed items were always stupid

gypsy has gotten a lot of attention honestly i always thought they should have sleep
i dont know how that works without giving it to warlock also which i dont think fits

give mystic a knockdown (lvl 30?) maybe use the smash code i dont know
a cool solo quest for mystic would be nice

how about if only 1 person can backstab at a time.
multiple people engage on a backstab, only the first person gets the hit
its kind of ludicrous to think that five guys are all sneaking up and then hitting you simultaneously
all with daggers?
1 BSer at a time

>Kill Message< should go to who gives the killing blow always

i love the idea of there being a place in town where you can buy locations
it has to be like a 10 plat / lvl
so 5 runic for a lvl 50
maybe also you can pay to not be able to be located
the shop keeper would obviously be "Piper"

these are all things you should consider

..and why take dodge from black silk robes i mean thats just a good come up at low level for squishies

Winterhawk

The sashes are a waist item that will range from level 10 to level 90. They add ac, mana, SC, and mana regen in varying amounts as they get higher and will mostly drop from bosses in increasing difficulty. The level 90 sash is dropped by Zanthus for example.

Sleep is a very powerful spell and will remain a mage-3 spell but gypsys and warlocks both should be a good choice to play with the new changes'

As for the black silk robes, they still have the +5 dodge it was just not changed so wasn't in the change list. ;)

Redhawk

Really impressed with what you guys have put together thus far. I've enjoyed bouncing thoughts back and forth with Winter and some of the other regulars in game.

Do you guys need any financial backing for this project? Monthly cloud server costs? Internet bill? Upgraded x, y, or z? Happy to help. I'm sure others would step up too if needed.

Redhawk

A lot of these thoughts have been discussed in game, so I figured it was time to bring some of them to paper. My suggestions/thoughts pertain only to the PVE realm.

• Backrank currently provides +15 hidden AC and -10 ACC. It is logical that backrank should also provide +Dodge and +MR. Suggest +5 dodge +10 MR. Make ACC -15 if it needs more balance
  • Nexus Spear & TSM going from 45 -> 60. Not sure I understand the why in this. Smash tanks benefit hugely from l45 as it gives them the 15 levels to build out AG/INT in order to effectively use Darkbane as their end game combo. Lev 60 seems counter-productive unless the goal here is end game Nexus 6 swingers
  • Guardian Golem & LOTH respawns should be 24hrs at the most. Since gotos are given, NPP is rarely used except to access the Timelord. The coveted items that drop from these mobs (especially golem) currently have an attorcious percentage at success. Plat bracers, etc should not take one single player 6 months to get
  • Rare 'chest only' drops from mod 9 chests to be increased to 5%. blbs and hbbs are currently 1%. The number of people who actually have these items years after launch is staggeringly low. You have people waiting 6 months hitting chests daily/weekly who have yet to win the RNG game here.. or never will
  • Scalemail desperately needs options above lev 40. Full sets preferred at 50+. Right now Witchies are hamstrung and are ultimately capped at 40, minus some random items and weapons
  • Each Mod 9 boss should be given a percentage chest drop, increasing based on difficulty of the boss. Current mob drop rates are fine where they are: rot behold, cmd, darken, etc. Dread captain has it right as a lower difficulty boss. Someone scripting the galleon will always win that RNG battle. Those looping gypsy, enigma, bloody, etc should have chances as well
  • The 'good' class is extremely imbalanced. I'm talking specifically about platinum plate, gold braided belt, gavel of justice, silver signet, etc. Any warrior, pally, priest right now is crazy to not go good. What items are proposed to make this more balanced
  • Backstabbing has been needing love for as long as I can remember. We all know roughly around lev 40+ it becomes irrelevant. I suggest Thief bs min / max should be more like +50 and not 5/10. Introduce BS weapons that actually increase BS by +100 or possibly even more. There is currently 0 reason to backstab once your round average > av bs
  • Not sure why pallies are getting 6-10 hp increase from 5-9. They are already currently the number 1 end game scripting machines (minus mages). Why beef them up even further? Also looking at the data, it is currently the most played class in game if I am not mistaken
  • A lot of discussion has taken place in game about lim sweeps and gang house hoarding. Originally there were weekly or monthly lim list posts. What is policy on this? If we stick with lims with no multipliers, this is going to be terrible to manage. Right now we have gangs with dozens of stacked lims, toons that logout for a year and leave their ultra hard to get lims rotting. A broader discussion needs to happen here with everyone's thoughts taken in. No consensus was ever come to in game as there is really no win/win. A lot of valid arguments on both sides
  • Will the reset come with an active mudop? Hopefully not one that has an active scripting character for historical reasons. Very thankful for the work Strongbow/Jack has done in both realms thus far. I assume with the new changes you will want to very carefully monitor and gather feedback
  • We will assuredly notice bugs, tweaks, failings, improvements that will need to be added/removed in order to balance the new changes once they are live. How flexible will the new patch be to tweaking and making these changes on the fly? Will it require a full board reset?
  • Lim removal. Again after in depth healthy discussion with Winter on this topic, I am not alone in stating that lims should be wholly removed from the game. This should also be its own forum topic and brings up great points on both ends. However, there is not a single MMO today I can think of that has a lim system. You spend enough time killing a certain boss or quest path, you are given an RNG opportunity that based on how many times you kill this boss/quest, you will eventually receive your hard earned item. Whether you're the first person(s) to get there is specifically geared towards sprint games or games that are season based. Meaning, every few months they get reset. MajorMUD is in essence a long run game where people play for months, years, leave, come back, new people come in. The current lim system (with no multiplier) caters to those racing out the gate. I'm not alone in saying that my main goal in every RPG, RTS, FPS I play is to eventually have the best spells, gear, lairs, etc. If I'm an excellent player and know the game in and out and yet I started 4 months late on a board that already has all the lims, that IMO is not fair and removes the desire to play for some
Thanks in advance for your thoughts. You're all doing us a great deed by investing your time and energy in to this new release. I am for 90% of the changes taking place. Please take my suggestions as just that and take no offense to my opposition or questioning. Hoping to spark healthy dialog.

Winterhawk

A few answers :)

backrank is an engine change that would require specific coding to implement and we have pretty much used up our coding allotment fixing permastun, flux and other spell recasting, getting smash secondary attack working, getting spike and shock damage in place, and a few other things still in the works.

nexus spear and tsm at 45 were a bit over the top for smash damage for one thing and it is also an effort to spread out the weapon progression some. There are a number of new weapons both limited and not coming for level 75 as well as some to fill in lower levels.

Guardian golem and thrag are both set to 24 hours and the drop rates on the items are improved so they will be in play much sooner

NPP  is going to be more important as there are several new portals being added to the realm..volcano, storm mountain, north blackwood and old mines so far. Wastelands will also become more important as lairs are being added and the behemoths will drop hides that can be crafted into Armour so loth needs to be left as is for  regen but i do suspect drop rates will be tweaked.

drop rates on the boots can be increased it is a bit on the low side :)

there are new crafted sets of Armour for level 60 and level 80 in all flavors silk, leather, chain, scale, plate and ninja and some attention has been payed to witchy and blunt weapon options

good aligned vs others: the pattern has always been good gets defense, neutral gets stats, evil gets damage. So in that vein the evil weapons have been stripped of the curses and negatives to help balance and some items have been added or altered to attempt to balance this somewhat,

backstabs are a tricky issue...they don't obey the same rules of acc vs ac that attacks do and we are still looking at this as being used for the pvp as well as the pve but there are some items that will add to bs damage and accuracy coming

hit points are being increased for ALL classes by 1 min and 1 max..this wont affect low levels much but with higher level script areas and higher accuracy monsters coming it will help all evenly at the high end.

lims vs unlimited items
This one has been argued to death and there are good points made on both sides. I was a proponent of unlimited items until this push when the cap was pushed to x20. Seeing the way this has played out I started to appreciate the limited concept again. Tons of gear sitting in houses unused is one thing when they are limited and can be swept but nothing can really be done if they are unlimited, so i'm not sure if that's any better. Instead of unlimiting everything we are trying to make alternate items that are close, or equal and different, so the better or more persistent (or even just the lucky) players still can get the best as a show of skill but there are alternates that others can use and it doesn't make or break a character.
The game will start at 1x lims and future item multiplier settings will be determined as we go, but many have had the limited numbers increased . Adding to this, a number of the new items require the trade in of lower level limited items to obtain and this will put them back into circulation again.

mudops

This is a hard question to answer in advance but a good game ought not need excessive op involvement and the occasional limited item sweep or dupe check or character stripping ought to suffice. I nominate Strongbow to handle this since he's got too much free time on his hands

Jumpin Jack Flash

Quote from: Winterhawk on May 11, 2017, 12:44 PM
mudops

This is a hard question to answer in advance but a good game ought not need excessive op involvement and the occasional limited item sweep or dupe check or character stripping ought to suffice. I nominate Strongbow to handle this since he's got too much free time on his hands

Dang it!  I've already taken myself out of play in the PVP realm, I need at least one realm to play in.  But, I honestly don't think a playing mudop has as much destructive potential in a non-pvp realm.  And, given the nice new unlimited items we are adding, I don't see it being as necessary to have lims as it used to be.  I did intend on playing, but not with my account that has MudOp powers, and I wont be hoarding any lims, nor will I have my account with MudOp powers in the realm unless he's needed for brief periods.  I can monitor GOS and telepaths with my non-mudop character and bring in the OP as needed to handle issues.  Thoughts?

Redhawk

Quote from: Jumpin Jack Flash on May 11, 2017, 08:41 PMThoughts?

Thumbs up. You understand the pitfalls. You've been nothing but a class act in anything I've dealt with you on so you have my vote. On the pro side, I am personally looking for dev team members to be actively monitoring and listening n to the daily testing and chatter as the new mod unfolds. Winter can only pass along so much information. This will be good for the realm as you will be more on top of questions, bugs, imbalances, etc as the player base brings them to attention. Yes there's a risk. Just note a playing mudop even as a non mudop toon will detract certain players from joining.

My main concern here as a player as it has been all along is that the players really do get heard and their arguments and thoughts are considered and not put aside. As much as I respect the combined knowledge and wisdom of the dev team currently, the player base (myself included) have been adding valid feedback and my desire is to see some of that get translated in to the realm changes. Most of what is argued/debated in gos isn't posted on the forums. I'm afraid that good ideas come to the table and the dev team consensus is 'we've already debated that and it's a done deal' kind of thing. On the flip side I do trust that you reading everything carefully. I wish more people vocal in gos would be willing to take their thoughts to the forums. You being around will help capture some of what is going uncommunicated.

Jumpin Jack Flash

I would estimate that around 80-85% of the changes we're implementing thus far have come from forum posts by other users.  So yes, Winterhawk reads the posts and as long as there is some thought process and legitimacy behind the requested changes, it's put on the development table for discussion and normally implemented.  We're trying to make this a better realm for ALL, not just a select few.

Greater

What is the justification for removing war dogs from every lair in Hill Giant Fortress besides the pen?

In a perfect world where eventually you would always kill an equal number of each monster, the average exp per monster in Hill Giant Fort would be 4767. With your change, in that same perfect world the average exp per monster would be 6250. This represents a ~31% increase in average experience per monster. If we apply this same percentage increase to a typical top end hourly rate in this area as is, 5.2 mil/hr, we'd see that increase to 6.8 mil/hr.  So now we're looking at a level ~35 area that offers higher solo exp rate than most other areas in the game. I would like to add that I am all for expansion of areas for room spellers. But I think that if we are being honest with ourselves about what is actually good for the game and what isn't-even if said change would impact our own plan or playstyle-then this change doesn't make any sense.

There is another outlier that we can apply this same logic to: Gremlins. Does it really make sense that this area can deliver twice or more exp/hr than any other area in the game? Speaking objectively I really don't think so.

Winterhawk

I see 3 different script areas in the fort. First is the wardogs pen for roomers, second is the chief's instant regen room and the room outside it, and the third is the rest of the fort and the 3 closest rooms just outside . My math on the fort portion shows a max of 2.7 mil and I really don't see a level 35 anything doing that solo, but testing will tell for sure. Bear in mind that the exp areas are untested still and will be altered as needed in play testing. Also keep in mind that mana regen flux type spells are fixed so there will be no more keeping a perfect cast forever and that will affect things for casters...which  will be looked at in actual play testing too. And maybe the giants just got tired of dogs underfoot all the time!

Greater

Quote from: Winterhawk on May 13, 2017, 02:05 PM
I see 3 different script areas in the fort. First is the wardogs pen for roomers, second is the chief's instant regen room and the room outside it, and the third is the rest of the fort and the 3 closest rooms just outside . My math on the fort portion shows a max of 2.7 mil and I really don't see a level 35 anything doing that solo, but testing will tell for sure. Bear in mind that the exp areas are untested still and will be altered as needed in play testing. Also keep in mind that mana regen flux type spells are fixed so there will be no more keeping a perfect cast forever and that will affect things for casters...which  will be looked at in actual play testing too. And maybe the giants just got tired of dogs underfoot all the time!

Thanks for responding. In reality, the fort, pen, and even sometimes a few rooms outside end up being scripted by one room speller. I somehow missed the changes to the mana regen spells, which certainly does change the prognosis on this spot.

Are these realm changes being privately tested right now? If so, is there any way I could get access?

Winterhawk

We do not have the test realm up yet for gmud...it goes up and down for small portions of time when we need it. Once we get the dats a bit more complete Vitoc will set up a permanent access realm and we will want people to come in and beat on it..test things in real play with an eye to finding things that can be abused or need tweaking. At the rate things are moving I hope to see this happen in the next few weeks :)

Jumpin Jack Flash

Quote from: Coarse Horse on May 12, 2017, 07:22 PM

In a perfect world where eventually you would always kill an equal number of each monster, the average exp per monster in Hill Giant Fort would be 4767. With your change, in that same perfect world the average exp per monster would be 6250. This represents a ~31% increase in average experience per monster. If we apply this same percentage increase to a typical top end hourly rate in this area as is, 5.2 mil/hr, we'd see that increase to 6.8 mil/hr. 

I'm currently running a level 53 Missy, level 54 Mage and level 50 Priest, scripting hill giant fortress with Chieftain as a party of 3.  Missy is swinging 5's with Azure, Mage is spelling with ELFU, and priest is bashing with amber scepter.  (I was using priest with SRIP, but it was a waste of mana as even with him bashing, the trio are 1-rounding each mob, so he's bashing and healing).  This party is maxing out at 1.8M per character, which is 5.4M total.  Neither the Mage nor the Priest can handle the area solo as of yet, and the Missy....well, we won't even discuss his solo attempts there.  The Mage can hang in fortress solo using ESTO, but with the mana flux spells set back to normal, he can't stay above 1M/hour with his mana resting....and this is all with the best lim gear for all characters.  I can get a mana tick of 85 without using FLUX or CHSU, and with FLUX running as a bless, his EXP rate actually goes down due to the negative flux from time to time.  My level 65 Warrior running solo in hill fort (with chief) was maxed out at 5.8M.  This was bashing 5's with Darkbane and 107/36 AC.  Only the shamans could inflict damage with their spells, but when those rooms genned 3 shamans at once, he would still get hung from time to time for low hp's.  That's with a HOG warrior with 124 MR.

As WH states above, the Fort now supports three distinct scripting areas, with two areas for melee/solo spells, and the warpens for roomers.  Each area can produce 1M+/hour for solo characters, and with the potential to gen 3 shamans in a room, there is a danger that wasn't present before.  And, as WH stated above, level 35'ish characters may want to steer clear of hill fort unless they are travelling in a party now.

Jumpin Jack Flash

Quote5/17/2017 12:25 PM Sans gossips: i'm a bit troubled by bane's response to my post on the forums
5/17/2017 12:25 PM Sans gossips: it basically amounts to "i'm testing this, and if I can only make X exp here, nobody in the WORLD could make more"
5/17/2017 12:25 PM Sans gossips: considering the source i have my doubts  ::)
5/17/2017 12:26 PM Sans gossips: winterhawk does seem open to questions and changes
5/17/2017 12:26 PM Sans gossips: bane not so much
5/17/2017 12:26 PM Sans gossips: i guess when the time comes i'll just have to break shit
5/17/2017 12:27 PM Sans gossips: i think he said his 53 mage in all the best lims can't make more than 1 mil/hr in hill fort
5/17/2017 12:27 PM Sans gossips: which is funny since cam is currently making 5.2 to 5.3 mil there
5/17/2017 12:27 PM Sans gossips: but whatevs
5/17/2017 12:27 PM Sans gossips: i do trust winterhawk's experience but i don't know how much actual control he has
5/17/2017 12:28 PM Sans gossips: even if we occasionally disagree on things
5/17/2017 12:29 PM Sans gossips: would be a shame if that realm ended up ruined by changing things based on pet requests without considering the source...

This is quite funny.  My post was just to provide some specifics on what my party was currently making in hill fort with the new changes there.  Also, my only part in this update is to make the changes requested by WinterHawk.  Sure, we have some discussion on things when there are questions, but all requested changes for the most part are WinterHawk's brain child.  And of course, a lot of those changes have come from other users comments here in the forums. 

I invested another 6 hours in NMR today, and will do the same again tomorrow, and probably all weekend long trying to get these updates in so the users can begin enjoying them as soon as possible, so I appreciate all your outspoken support.  Not sure I could have done it without you!

Bane